What's new

The MMA Thread

Rumble looked amazing. I didn't think he'd stand a chance, and dominated Davis from bell to bell. Phil has never looked that bad against anyone.

Did anyone see the Post Fight show? Jones appeared on it and his interaction with Cormier was great. DC was pushing hard a fight with him, but it's looking like a rematch against Gustaffson is next for the Champ.

Glover was tough, very tough. But he got crushed.

Jim Miller looked great. I expected no less.

Rockhold's submission was fantastic. I'd give the title shot over anyone else at 185. Belfort would have deserved it if it weren't for his TRT stuff. But I think he needs to beat a top contender without the juice.

One thing that really ticked me off was Jones putting his open fingers over (and in) Glover's eyes. I would have taken away a lot of points for that. That coupled with his constant use of push kicks, I think Jones is a dirty fighter, and he doesn't need to be, he's the best in the world.

Last edited:
Holy Flying knee...yikes. That was a beauty from Chris Beal in his UFC debut.

Wowsers, that Castillo KO came out of nowhere and glad he didn't follow up on the ground.

I had to FF that women's prelim, it was just nothing of interest in terms of standings or for viewing.

Elliot Benavidez was an awesome fight. Back and forth and then a wicked choke. Elliot looked frantic and panicky when he tapped but rightfully so as he must have felt suffocated.

Fili vs Holloway was a great fight. Almost looked like Fili didn't think Holloway was going to chase him down in R3, he got rocked and then an awesome choke by Holloway to finish it.

Medeiros choked out was a bit scary. Some freaky chokes tonight and devastating. Glad to see Miller get the win.

Rockhold was on fire. He got lucky catching Boesch early with that triangle and it was all over from then on.

I'm sure Rumble looked good but Davis looking so bad made him look even better. Davis did absolutely nothing and looked terrible out there. That was a big swing for both fuys ...Ranked 4 and 14.

What was with Jones putting his hand on Glover's forehead. Glover did catch Jones with some nice uppercuts but it wasn't enough. Jones looked great and was nice to see him clinch and not just pick from the outside...he really can do it all and was a classy, respectful fighter when the mouthpiece came out or when there was actual eye pokes. He really has come full circle with his image and attitude now he just has to watch the fingers in the eyes and sticking his freaking hand out. Glover did well to make it a fight and did not look too out of place but got beat at his own game. Very classy in defeat and even during the post fight when they were walking and talking through the hallway. I hope we see more of Glover against some top tier fighters.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic card, both the under and main cards.

Last edited:
Glover did way better than i expected, I am soo looking forward to the gustaffson rematch. He was the only guy to make jones look human out there. I know people might think that the "And Still Champion" shirt was cocky as hell. But i thought it was awesome.

on a bonus note, my trainer (a brown belt under carlos machado) told me that i am ready to test for the brown belt. i almost made him tap out (no-gi). A bit of a bitterweet note though, i might have to change trainers. Even though i know i could still learn so much stuff from this guy.

@MrLara that's very cool, congrats.

As for Jones...I think he's earned the right to be a bit cocky. If you have the stuff to back it up, you have to do a few things to get people talking and keep people interested in you. The shirt is by Nike and it's his sponsor..and guess what, he Still Is the Champion. Same goes for the little Shuffle Dance and scream during the walkout. It was odd, he was pumped, but I thought it was hilarious. Some of my favourite athletes were very cocky, Ricky Henderson comes to mind..but he was the BEST leadoff hitter in the game and knew it and he had no problems telling people in case they were unsure.

I have not seen Jones disrespect anyone inside the ring with too much showboating or flat out disrespecting them like Silva had a few times. He did the Ali Formeman Zombie Walk tonight, but again...he was dominating and it was not disrespectful to Glover, it was just a bit of showboating and makes it interesting.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Gustaffson/Jones again. But what is up with UFC 173.....Cormier vs Henderson and Barao vs Dillashaw as the main bouts....Not sounding to interesting to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not interesting at all? i think Barao is gonna wipe the floor with TJ. And the DC/hendo fight might be 50/50.

Thank you.

Not interesting at all? i think Barao is gonna wipe the floor with TJ. And the DC/hendo fight might be 50/50.

Thank you.

I'm sure I'll get more excited when it gets closer, but it just doesn't seem like much on paper.

But as some of the past PPV's have show us, they are usually the better ones with guys fighting their hearts out to make a statement.

I guess it's just the fact that I don't care for TJ, DC and think Hendo should just retire before he gets seriously injured.

Barao should have no problems with TJ. I actually had no idea TJ was ranked that high and fighting for the title until I saw the popup for the PPV.

Don't get me wrong, I will be watching!

Last edited:
@MrLara that's very cool, congrats.

As for Jones...I think he's earned the right to be a bit cocky. If you have the stuff to back it up, you have to do a few things to get people talking and keep people interested in you. The shirt is by Nike and it's his sponsor..and guess what, he Still Is the Champion. Same goes for the little Shuffle Dance and scream during the walkout. It was odd, he was pumped, but I thought it was hilarious. Some of my favourite athletes were very cocky, Ricky Henderson comes to mind..but he was the BEST leadoff hitter in the game and knew it and he had no problems telling people in case they were unsure.

I have not seen Jones disrespect anyone inside the ring with too much showboating or flat out disrespecting them like Silva had a few times. He did the Ali Formeman Zombie Walk tonight, but again...he was dominating and it was not disrespectful to Glover, it was just a bit of showboating and makes it interesting.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Gustaffson/Jones again. But what is up with UFC 173.....Cormier vs Henderson and Barao vs Dillashaw as the main bouts....Not sounding to interesting to me.

His shuffle dance bothered a lot of people, but I honestly thought it was funny, had he not been in Baltimore it might have been odd, but I liked it.

As for the cockiness, I wouldn't notice it if it weren't for the false humility accompanying it. Ali never pretended to be humble he was just was cocky. But even with all that, I can live with it, the best athletes in the world are always cocky. It's that confidence that in part allows them to be the best. It's the in cage, legal but dirty tactics that really get me. The push kicks and the "unintentional" eye gouges that make me go nuts.

I agree with Mr Lara, Barao is going to wipe the floor with Dillashaw. I think Cormier easily gets past Hendo. I really wish Dan had retired after Shogun, instant Hall of Famer going out with a bonus. He obviously still have the power, but his reflexes are fading, not to mention Cormier can take him down at will.

I will say in terms of being excited about PPV's it's much easier for me to get excited about them becuase I don't have to shell out 60 bucks or so to see them. I have a Buffalo Wild Wings a quarter mile from my house where you can watch it for free. So even if it's a bad card, I don't feel like I lost anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the "push kicks" a viloation or just a dirty tactic that he seems to one of only a few to use?

They seem like they can do real, perminant damage and something they should consider banning...and then get rid of hand on the ground when both feat are planted to stop head strike rule instead.

Last edited:
Are the "push kicks" a viloation or just a dirty tactic that he seems to one of only a few to use?

They seem like they can do real, perminant damage and something they should consider banning...and then get rid of hand on the ground when both feat are planted to stop head strike rule instead.

They are not a violation (to my knowledge), but they are commonly viewed as dirty. Very few fighters use them. Anderson Silva, Jones, I think Barao or Aldo may use them too, but I could be totally wrong about the latter two. I've talked with lots of guys that own MMA gyms in my area, they all universally refuse to allow their fighters to use them.

I agree with you about the hand on the ground, I think that's a cop out to avoid big blows, but I feel a fighter on his hands and knees shouldn't be kicked or kneed in the head. I'm vehemently against soccer kicks.

The 12-6 Elbow rule is also stupid, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks and that's what I thought too. Funny, all the champs are using the kicks. Wait until someone comes along and buckles and shatters one of their knees and ends their career, then we'll see the rule changed.

I was thinking about the hand on ground...and what if it was a three point stance that you could hit, if it's all four on the ground you can't? Same for one knee or both knees.

I don't know, just thinking aloud here.

Thanks and that's what I thought too. Funny, all the champs are using the kicks. Wait until someone comes along and buckles and shatters one of their knees and ends their career, then we'll see the rule changed.

I was thinking about the hand on ground...and what if it was a three point stance that you could hit, if it's all four on the ground you can't? Same for one knee or both knees.

I don't know, just thinking aloud here.

I could get behind that rule change. 4 limbs down, no knees, kicks to head, but with three, go for it. There's a fine line behind making the sport as competitive as possible, but not letting it be a bloodsport.

I also wish they would get serious about eye gouging. I don't think guys are doing it on purpose, but too many are wreckless with it, like Jones was the other night. Well, maybe Koscheck does it intentionally.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I could get behind that rule change. 4 limbs down, no knees, kicks to head, but with three, go for it. There's a fine line behind making the sport as competitive as possible, but not letting it be a bloodsport.

I also wish they would get serious about eye gouging. I don't think guys are doing it on purpose, but too many are wreckless with it, like Jones was the other night. Well, maybe Koscheck does it intentionally.

Maybe make a rule change so that if a guy gets down in that position, he can't be hit, but by putting himself in that position he loses a point on the round. That keeps damage from being done to a guy in a vulnerable position, and penalises him for putting himself in that vulnerable position as well.

Maybe make a rule change so that if a guy gets down in that position, he can't be hit, but by putting himself in that position he loses a point on the round. That keeps damage from being done to a guy in a vulnerable position, and penalises him for putting himself in that vulnerable position as well.

Now that's interesting. Would the same point deduction apply to knockdowns/takedowns or just when a someone voluntarily drops down to avoid a strike? (The equivalent of putting your hand down now.)

Top Bottom