What's new

The MMA Thread

I kind of think Rampage is going to get run over too. He won't be as rusty as Shogun, but his work ethic is really questionable these days and he's not getting any younger. Plus I feel like he has substandard camps. And like you've said, he just doesn't seem to have much in his arsenal any more beyond the heavy shot. I'd like to see it be a hard fought battle, but I suspect it won't get to the second frame.

When are the little guys going to start getting more respect?

I saw the next Bantan title bout is being broadcast on Spike and isn't even on a PPV. The lighter weight classes may not have the power of the big guys, but I have been so impressed with the tenacity and cadio of the WEC guys. I think they deserve more respect from the mainstream fans, not the die hards like us that post in this thread. I hope the UFC is doing this to try to promote the 135ers and 145ers to the general public and not to punish them, because they deserve a lot of respect, IMO.

Marquardt has been picked up BAMMA and will begin fighting in the UK soon.

I also read Overeem is out of the StrikeForce tourney. He's still with the organization but won't be ready for his Sept 10th bout. Daniel Cormier will be taking his place. That tournament is really turning out lousy.

Marquardt has been picked up BAMMA and will begin fighting in the UK soon.

I also read Overeem is out of the StrikeForce tourney. He's still with the organization but won't be ready for his Sept 10th bout. Daniel Cormier will be taking his place. That tournament is really turning out lousy.

The whole Zuffa firing makes sense now. This is Dana's plan to get a good fighter in the UK.

Strikeforces tournament was messed up from the beginning. Overeem shouldn't have been in it at all. Since he's the current titleholder, he should have waited to face the winner.

I kind of think Rampage is going to get run over too. He won't be as rusty as Shogun, but his work ethic is really questionable these days and he's not getting any younger. Plus I feel like he has substandard camps. And like you've said, he just doesn't seem to have much in his arsenal any more beyond the heavy shot. I'd like to see it be a hard fought battle, but I suspect it won't get to the second frame.

This is about how I see it as well. A totally on/game Rampage has more than a chance, but he can't afford to be off at all.

Strikeforces tournament was messed up from the beginning. Overeem shouldn't have been in it at all. Since he's the current titleholder, he should have waited to face the winner.

Absolutely!

i think rampage is gonna beat jones, jones hasn't been tested and doesn't look like a tough fighter to me who can handle a few good hits. rampage has been tested and though he has lost he has that power and tested mettle to handle jones. for me rashad and rampage are the two best fighters at light heavy.

that rampage is the funniest bloke in ufc though.

i also think there are fighters in ufc and boxing who do like to put on a show and risk losing to do that for the fans and think second of the title or money. a lot do it for family or friend. it's only when you truly risk everything that you know the fighter you can become. that doesn't mean being a crazy fool but having the conviction to do what you set out to do.

Last edited:
i think rampage is gonna beat jones, jones hasn't been tested and doesn't look like a tough fighter to me who can handle a few good hits. rampage has been tested and though he has lost he has that power and tested mettle to handle jones. for me rashad and rampage are the two best fighters at light heavy.

that rampage is the funniest bloke in ufc though.

i also think there are fighters in ufc and boxing who do like to put on a show and risk losing to do that for the fans and think second of the title or money. a lot do it for family or friend.

I really think it all depends on which Rampage we get. If we get Pride Rampage he'll take it, but we haven't seen that Rampage in a very long time.

I really think it all depends on which Rampage we get. If we get Pride Rampage he'll take it, but we haven't seen that Rampage in a very long time.

rashad ain't no easy beat and rampage was totally in that fight and beat machida?

Last edited:
Okay, who is more than a little intrigued by this weekend's SF card? The Fedor/Hendo fight should be a good one. Could you imagine if this had taken place a few years ago? In my estimation, if the fight is decent there is no loser in this fight. It could be an exhibition and I would want to see this. If forced to choose I would pick Hendo but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Fedor pulls this one out.

I'm looking forward to this as well. Fedor is going to be substantially larger than Henderson, who says that he's coming in at 208. On the other hand, Hendo will almost certainly be in better shape and you wouldn't want to get into the ring with a craftier fighter. If Fedor comes in fit (and my standard is classical Fedor fit, not crazy cut) and ready to fight, I think he can win it without the fight going to the judges. I just don't think that he's training as hard as he needs to for his age* (he should have moved in with Randy to train for this one) and his management has been acting pretty strange lately. If Hendo comes in with a good plan and doesn't wear himself out carrying Fedor around, I think that he wins the fight.

There are some other good fights on the card too. I'm happy to watch Lawler v. Kennedy, the Daley fight, and all the rest.

* I saw a special a couple of years ago about Fedor training. It was fairly vague and showed him jumping rope, talking with schoolchildren and going to church (obviously not a Zuffa production). I'm a little fuzzy on the details--it's gotten kind of jumbled up with a similar thing about his brother Aleksander and, I'm afraid, parts of Rocky IV.

Last edited:
I'm going to be out of town and miss this fight. I had wanted to see Hendo/Fedor.

Sorry to hear this!

I'm looking forward to this as well. Fedor is going to be substantially larger than Henderson, who says that he's coming in at 208. On the other hand, Hendo will almost certainly be in better shape and you wouldn't want to get into the ring with a craftier fighter. If Fedor comes in fit (and my standard is classical Fedor fit, not crazy cut) and ready to fight, I think he can win it without the fight going to the judges. I just don't think that he's training as hard as he needs to for his age* (he should have moved in with Randy to train for this one) and his management has been acting pretty strange lately. If Hendo comes in with a good plan and doesn't wear himself out carrying Fedor around, I think that he wins the fight.

There are some other good fights on the card too. I'm happy to watch Lawler v. Kennedy, the Daley fight, and all the rest.

* I saw a special a couple of years ago about Fedor training. It was fairly vague and showed him jumping rope, talking with schoolchildren and going to church (obviously not a Zuffa production). I'm a little fuzzy on the details--it's gotten kind of jumbled up with a similar thing about his brother Aleksander and, I'm afraid, parts of Rocky IV.

Thanks, Chris, this made my day!

Wow, wow, wow! Hendo was out, albeit briefly. I said, its over, Fedor won and then bam, reversal and Hendo with the KO. What a fight for the ages!

Hendo went limp and recovered in a split second. That was just crazy.

Wow, wow, wow! Hendo was out, albeit briefly. I said, its over, Fedor won and then bam, reversal and Hendo with the KO. What a fight for the ages!

Hendo went limp and recovered in a split second. That was just crazy.

I don't think Hendo was out. Hurt? Yup. He went down to protect himself and Fedor got very careless. Neither of these guys had ever been KO'd and Fedor got rung only because he got careless. Guys with great chins are dangerous after getting tagged because the aggressor becomes too aggressive. Becomes solely offensive. Opens himself up to a counter.

I wish Dean would have let the fight go. Fedor might have taken a hit but with his history, he gets a pass from me. Can you imagine how awesome it would have been if Fedor would have been able to fight off Hendo? And get back to his feet? It would have been nuts.

Hendo is one of my favorites but IMHO the fight was stopped early. Fedor has earned the chance to get his head together and to continue to fight.

Top Bottom