What's new

The League Of Leg Shavers

I'm actually planning on following this thread not because I want to shave my legs, but because I have been working with a couple of ladies that are considering using DE razors and I have no clue what issues they may encounter that I don't have when shaving my face. I'm hoping for some enlightenment here.

For me, the hardest part is on the outside of the ankle. It probably took me 6 months of using a DE before I could get a satisfactory shave without losing skin here. Other than that, I honestly think it's a lot easier...watching Mr. Gluestick shave his chin gives me a lot of respect for what you gents are doing.

I've been trying to convince my wife to try out DE shaving on her legs since I've now gotten into DE face shaving a couple months ago. Could people who shave their legs please suggest some products, prep steps, and suggested DE razor to start out with? I really like the idea of this thread.

I've been trying to convince my wife to try out DE shaving on her legs since I've now gotten into DE face shaving a couple months ago. Could people who shave their legs please suggest some products, prep steps, and suggested DE razor to start out with? I really like the idea of this thread.

My leg hair is so soft I hardly do any prep, just a warm shower beforehand and I lather on some soap. Since it's a lot more surface I do one part at a time (lower, upper, left, right) and get my skin wet with some warm water again. Areas to be careful with are the ankles and the knees (also back of knees!) but rest is pretty straight forward. I don't pay much attention to what blade I use, again because the hair is so soft and easy to shave.

For a razor something with a long handle, in my case a Weber with a classic handle. Afterwards I just wash off soap and apply some alum to the upper back of my legs (sensitive skin area) and after I wash that off apply lotion.

I started with a Lord L6 (now using a weber classic handle)
Omega Pro 49 Brush
KMF and Mama Bear's

As for prep, I shave in the shower and sometimes exfoliate with a scrubby cloth before I shave. Post shave is usually just a decent drugstore moisturizer.

Prep: I usually rub some lotion on my legs, It helps soften the hairs while I mix the lather.
Equipment: I used VDH shave soap and bowl/or Mama bears lavender and vanilla shave soap in a tub.
For razors I currently use 3 Different Gillette superspeeds, 1 ball end Tech, but I started out with A cheap shaving factory razor. (which I still have)
Brushes: VDH Boar and A Wooden handled VDH Badger brush
hope this helps!

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. It's going to be an uphill battle convincing the wife to change her mindset and method but I'll keep trying.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. It's going to be an uphill battle convincing the wife to change her mindset and method but I'll keep trying.

The soaps are much nicer, and the results last longer too (which is a big one for me since I hate shaving my legs).

Really? what blade do you use?

Usually Astras. I like the Personna Meds a little better, but I have hundreds of Astras. I'm not *ahem* the least hairy person ever, either.
If I exfoliate with a loofah or something similar, I've found that my shave usually lasts an extra day.

This is a great idea, my wife uses a lady Gillette, '63 model. Took her awhile to get used to it. Unfortunately I can't see her joining B&B though :(

I the issue of why bikers leg shave, I found this.

Watch it you haters. I'm a racing cyclist and I take care of cyclists as a doctor. It does have its merits but honestly I think its a little more about vanity. Cyclists have worked pretty hard on those legs and they do look great so why cover them with hair...
Aaron

+1. I subscribe to leg shaving, also being a racer. Perhaps it aids in healing, but it sure makes those calves POP :thumbup:

So, What Kind of razors Do You guys and gals use?
I Have:
3 Gillette Superspeeds
1 Gillette Ball End Tech
1 Shaving Factory Razor
And 1 Gem micromatic (On the way from A PIF, Thanks sychodelix!!)
1 "Shavette" (More Details Later, I may start a thread on it.)

Timely bump. I usually reserved my milder razors for leg shaving, but today I used my Futur set to 5 since it had been a while since I shaved. Very happy with the results, but I did get a few nicks. I'll have to experiment some more. Used an Arko stick.

Sounds like you had a great shave!!
By the way, Do you have other adjustables, Like A Gillette Fatboy?

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great shave!!
By the way, Do you have other adjustables, Like A Gillette Fatboy?

I don't. So far I've used a Lady Gillette (didn't really like it that much to be honest), a Weber and a EJ DE89. The Futur was great today although with it's weight and aggressiveness I really need to be mindful around knees/ankles, etc.

Hello there leg Shavers, Just Curious what scent/make soap you use when shaving your legs?
I like Mama bears lavender and Vanilla.

Top Bottom