What's new

The League Of Leg Shavers

I don’t know where to post this, but I sure hope someone will see it. I am very new to using a DE razor, so I could use any pointers from someone experienced, please. I do not feel like I am getting as close a shave with my razor as I did with a cartridge razor. Could it be the blade I am using? I have a Merkur 34C, and I am just using the blade that came free with it. I would love to order blades, but I have no idea if I want mild, aggressive, etc. I am thinking mild may not be a good idea if I am currently not getting a close enough shave. I am very open to suggestions and excited to talk with someone who knows! I really enjoy learning about DE razors but can’t find many women talking about them. Thank you!
My wife uses a Lady Gillette and gets a good shave for legs and underarms. She has used Nacets, Gillette Silver Blues, and other blades without issues. Since you are fairly new to using a DE razor, it could be your technique, which will improve with time. There are a few ladies here snf several of us guys have wives who use a DE razor. You might want to start a separate thread to encourage more responses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My wife uses a Lady Gillette and gets a good shave for legs and underarms. She has used Nacets, Gillette Silver Blues, and other blades without issues. Since you are fairly new to using a DE razor, it could be your technique, which will improve with time. There are a few ladies here snf several of us guys have wives who use a DE razor. You might want to start a separate thread to encourage more responses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I have used my new razor about four times now. I am much less scared of it now than I was the first time! =)

I don’t know where to post this, but I sure hope someone will see it. I am very new to using a DE razor, so I could use any pointers from someone experienced, please. I do not feel like I am getting as close a shave with my razor as I did with a cartridge razor. Could it be the blade I am using? I have a Merkur 34C, and I am just using the blade that came free with it. I would love to order blades, but I have no idea if I want mild, aggressive, etc. I am thinking mild may not be a good idea if I am currently not getting a close enough shave. I am very open to suggestions and excited to talk with someone who knows! I really enjoy learning about DE razors but can’t find many women talking about them. Thank you!

Are you using multiple passes or not? I shave with the grain, across the grain, and against the grain. My legs are smoother than anything with cartridge razors, and I don't get razor burn or ingrown hairs. I'm using a Merkur 25c with Shark SS or Shark Platinum blades.

I also use a badger brush and shaving soap (currently Mama Bear Lilac), and I lather prior to each pass and don't go over anything without applying more soap.

I also shave after a shower, rather than in the shower.

The Merkur blades leave much to be desired to me. The Shark blades seem to be sharper yet still smooth. Obviously, YMMV, since we all have different textures of hair and different skin sensitivity.

My recommendation would be to try sample packs with various brands of blades to find out which you like best. That's what I did before settling on the Shark blades.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

May I join here? I got a NOS Lady Gillette Blue Starburst off the ‘bay for a song and a sample pack of blades off the ‘zon. This is certainly a fun new hobby, but I really am happy about ditching all the plastic. I also got a little travel kit Gillette three piece that I haven’t tried yet because I want to run through all my blades a couple of times first and see what I like. Is there a difference in TTO and three piece as far as blade feel?

May I join here? I got a NOS Lady Gillette Blue Starburst off the ‘bay for a song and a sample pack of blades off the ‘zon. This is certainly a fun new hobby, but I really am happy about ditching all the plastic. I also got a little travel kit Gillette three piece that I haven’t tried yet because I want to run through all my blades a couple of times first and see what I like. Is there a difference in TTO and three piece as far as blade feel?
Welcome to the club! [emoji4] You are certainly welcome here.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have and chime in with any recommendations you might have.

I don't care for butterfly style twist to open razors, since my concern is accidentally twisting with wet hands whilst shaving. I use three piece or two piece razors. However, each person is different, so if one likes the butterfly style twist to open razors, then I'm not going to discourage him or her from using them.

Thanks for having me. My LG is pretty secure in the twist department. Since I dry everything before I put it away outside the shower it seems to be staying really securely tightened. The other trepidation I have about the three piece is that the handle is minuscule, but then, so is the whole kit. But it will be so easy to travel with since it takes up no space at all. I suppose I should have it out and practice holding it without a blade loaded just to see the difference in feel.

A word to the wise, always use a really light touch shaving your legs, and consider avoiding straight razors and shavettes altogether. They are sharp and if you're not careful, the consequences can be catastrophic.
20201012_214342.jpg

Top Bottom