What's new

The last Comedian you saw live?

I thank you my friend. They don't make 'em like that anymore. I was born too late!
Not to be controversial, but I do not know that they do not make them like they used to. I think ever era has great comedians. Often folks who are standing on the shoulders of those who went before. Not that I am keeping up with a lot of current comics.

I think Norm MacDonald was the real king of shaggy dogs stories. I think Richard Pryor was as funny as anyone has ever been. But I think Dave Chappell and Chris Rock, when he is really on, as nearly as good. Bill Burr seems excellent as a thinking man's comic.

I also think a lot of comics had great periods and lesser periods. Rodney became fantastic and then slipped to my mind.

I seem to like Doug Stanhope more than most folks. I think Louie CK is funny. I am not as disturbed as most by his personal life. It is not like he physically violated anyone.

Originals come along. I was a big Johnathan Winters fan, but he was only good for a few years. George Carlin was an okay regular nightclub comedian, then he became really good, before, as far as I am concerned, he became more preachy than funny. It is very hard to stay funny.

I would put Wanda Sykes up against most women comedians of the past.

I do think Jackie Mason does not get enough love.

Are folks like Bill Hicks and Sam Kineson (sp?) of the old days or lumped in with the now?

Anthony Jeselnik never seems to get any attention.

Just my 2 cents!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I do think Jackie Mason does not get enough love.
Jackie was a classic. I remember once time he joked that Frank Sinatra got out of the shower to take a pee, then got back in the shower to finish cleaning up.
I'm sure you had to hear Jackie say it, but he sure could get on a roll.

Newhart is the king of dry comedy.

~doug~

• Haha
Reactions: CCS
That is a great Jackie Mason joke. Subtle in its way. Not a joke I could tell. I suspect JM was highly influential.

Newhart was good. Not sure what his current day equivalent would be.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That is a great Jackie Mason joke. Subtle in its way. Not a joke I could tell. I suspect JM was highly influential.

A hung around with a neighborhood friend of mine that had the same name as me so much his mom started calling us the two Darrell's. She still calls us Darrell.

~doug~

Jackie was a classic. I remember once time he joked that Frank Sinatra got out of the shower to take a pee, then got back in the shower to finish cleaning up.
I'm sure you had to hear Jackie say it, but he sure could get on a roll.

Newhart is the king of dry comedy.

~doug~
So you've heard the stories about Sinatra too. ;) Ava Gardner was credited with the best comment about his, um, significance, other than his voice...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
So you've heard the stories about Sinatra too. ;) Ava Gardner was credited with the best comment about his, um, significance, other than his voice...
Did you know they buried Sinatra with a roll of dimes in his pocket? Maybe that was what Ava was talking about...

~doug~

Did you know they buried Sinatra with a roll of dimes in his pocket? Maybe that was what Ava was talking about...

~doug~
Yes, I've heard that and no, I don't think that's what Ava was talking about. ;) Of course, Francis and I never crossed paths in the locker room so it's all just internet fun.

I do not think that is what Jackie Mason was talking about! The joke is more subtle than that!

Interesting that Sinatra was only 119 lbs at the time of his medical exam for the draft. Apparently that made him too small to go into the Army.

Sinatra and Pete Davidson, I guess.

Hmmm. I really put some thought into what comedian these days was most like Newhart. I did some Google searches to see how he might be categorized as a comedian, aside from "dry,' which seems a like a reasonable descriptor, and the web seemed to lead me to lists of "deadpan" comedians. Deadpan apparently means: "Deadpan describes the act of deliberately displaying a lack of or no emotion, commonly as a form of comedic delivery to contrast with the ridiculousness of the subject matter. The delivery is meant to be blunt, sarcastic, laconic, or apparently unintentional."

Seems to me many modern comedians are deadpan. I am not sure that is much of a category. Although certainly Pryor and Kinison were not. I guess Mitch Hedberg would be, oddly. Lists seem to say Bill Hicks. I would not have thought so. Not consistently anyway. Certainly Norm MacDonald was. Steve Marton sometimes.

In event, it seems to me that Larry David is in many strange ways, a successor to Bob Newhart. And, maybe, Steve Carrell is.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hmmm. I really put some thought into what comedian these days was most like Newhart. I did some Google searches to see how he might be categorized as a comedian, aside from "dry,' which seems a like a reasonable descriptor, and the web seemed to lead me to lists of "deadpan" comedians. Deadpan apparently means: "Deadpan describes the act of deliberately displaying a lack of or no emotion, commonly as a form of comedic delivery to contrast with the ridiculousness of the subject matter. The delivery is meant to be blunt, sarcastic, laconic, or apparently unintentional."

Seems to me many modern comedians are deadpan. I am not sure that is much of a category. Although certainly Pryor and Kinison were not. I guess Mitch Hedberg would be, oddly. Lists seem to say Bill Hicks. I would not have thought so. Not consistently anyway. Certainly Norm MacDonald was. Steve Marton sometimes.

In event, it seems to me that Larry David is in many strange ways, a successor to Bob Newhart. And, maybe, Steve Carrell is.
Steven Wright comes closer.

~doug~

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Last comedian I saw live?

Dave Broadfoot

1669056831328.png

"Sitting in my lonely cabin on the 43rd floor of Mountie headquarters with my Incredible Dog Cuddles, I was suddenly shocked out of my reverie by the Chief calling me on the radio..."

Although I think he is better known for saying, "When I regained consciousness..." :)

O.H.

Top Bottom