What's new

The Kindle

I purchased the Kindle 2 when it first came out, and I'm a very satisfied customer. (BTW the various reviews give the Kindle the edge over the Sony, but there's always such a thing as personal preference.)

I'm an inveterate reader and I'm generally found with a book in hand. However, for certain things, the Kindle is invaluable. For example, when I'm traveling, I can have several books with me and not worry about how much weight I'm trucking around.

The ability to annotate, insert bookmarks, dogears, etc. is particularly valuable.

Readability? Just like a printed page.

Clearly this won't be what everyone wants, but for a good many of us, it's the ideal companion. Before long, the technology will advance to the point where you'll be able to download full color pages that will look just like a glossy magazine (Think Playboy :drool:) in very compact form.

I've read over 20 books in the last few months on my iPhone using Kindle, Felaur PDF and e-Reader softwares. I love that my books are always at hand, and the really small size of the phone makes it easy to read one-handed (and no, that is NOT a euphemism for...something else).

I often read a few pages if I wake up in the middle of the night instead of having my mind race over dozens of unconnected thoughts. If I am waiting for someone, a bus, whatever, its ready for me.

I haven't tried the Kindle device, but I don't really want a large uni-tasker when I have a perfectly good phone already at hand. I set the font fairly large, and appreciate the short length of the lines of type, as when I'm tired, my eyes drift and I lose my place on wide pages.

I like not having to store the 25 book series I'm into now, and if it's any consolation, no paper had to be used in the making of the ebooks.

I don't think one needs to be tied to one software or one hardware, and certainly not to any one business; I buy from fictionwise.com, and have downloaded from elsewhere as well.

Roger

I originally went with the Kindle for 2 reasons:
1) Access to way more titles than Sony and,

This isn't entirely true. There may be more books you can purchase for the Kindle, but the fact that Sony doesn't have proprietary software like the Kindle allows you to get free ebooks from literally thousands of other sources. My wife's ebook library is in excess of 400 books and we haven't yet had to pay for a single one. If we had a kindle that would be one pricey library of books.

I was/am still considering the purchase of the Sony because the font is adjustable. Usually the print of paperbacks is too small and causes considerable eye strain. I used to read at least two books per month and I miss it. The downloads cost more than the average paperback though.
Sue

You'll definitely appreciate the adjustable font sizes of the Sony then. I still think the 505 is the best thing going. The new touch screen version is very nice but the actual screen can be difficult to read because of the coating needed for the touch capability. If you want bang for your buck the Sony PRS-505 is the way to go.

An additional note. Go to www.gutenberg.org and download books for free. All of the books that have gone into public domain are listed here and can be downloaded for free. You can email them to your amazon account and they will convert them to Kindle for you for a 10 cents each. I imagine you can do something similar with other format ebook readers.

Now you have no excuse not to read the classics.

This is a big selling point, and I'm surprised that Amazon doesn't advertise it more prominently.

One of the things that's keeping me from getting a Kindle is the cost of buying the e-books ... it would be great if they would establish a subscription service where you have access to the whole library for a flat monthly fee. It would work much like my Zune Pass, where I can download and listen to millions of songs for $15 a month, rather than buying and owning them a-la-carte from iTunes.

My wife requested one last year. She is away from home four days a week and reads a lot. Saves her carrying books. I periodically see on my email that she has down loaded another book.

Be aware that the wireless only works in the US. Out of the country you have to use email and then hook the kindle to the computer.

Amazon allows for up to five kindles to be on the same account. If they are on the same account then you can share books. As a result, I got a kindle 2 about a month ago. I'm about half way through my first book. My dislike of reading books/manuals on a computer, due to lack of a physical orientation, is still there but with the kindle it is not as important. I have also found, as Sue did, that I can use a larger type size and reduce eye strain. I do like the ability to download a sample of a book and have done that several times.

I am very satisfied with my Kindle2. You can adjust font size, making everything you read large print if you wish. You can even have it read any book aloud to you if you want. Most older books are just a couple of dollars, many are 99 cents. You don't even have to be near a computer to download one, you can browse and download from the Kindle itself. I find I am reading more now, it is just so convenient compared to lugging a heavy book around.

I really want a Kindle or the Sony, I have not read a book for pleasure in about 3 years - got a BS, a MA and now working on my second MA for seminary in prep for the Army Chaplaincy. I cannot wait to read some books again and I think an ebook reader will be a big plus with traveling a lot.

With the Kindle how are books transfered to the device? I know that if you purchase them from their store they are downloaded via the internet. How about if you download a book from a non Amazon source?

An additional note. Go to www.gutenberg.org and download books for free. All of the books that have gone into public domain are listed here and can be downloaded for free. You can email them to your amazon account and they will convert them to Kindle for you for a 10 cents each. I imagine you can do something similar with other format ebook readers.

Now you have no excuse not to read the classics.

They CHARGE you to put a text file on your own device?

I can't express how ridiculous I find this.

I have poor eyesight and I love the knidle2. You can adjust the font with ease. It is light and I can read for long periods of time with no eye strain. I showed it to a friend who has a sony reader and she now plans on selling her sony and picking up a kindle. Mine was a gift, so I didn't shell out the money for it, but if I it was to break, I wouldn't hesitate replacing it.

They CHARGE you to put a text file on your own device?

I can't express how ridiculous I find this.

No, they don't. If you do a little research and have half a brain. Options:

1. Email the document to Amazon for conversion and they email it back to you for free. Transfer converted doc to your Kindle (via USB). All free.

2. Amazon will charge charge you if you email Amazon a file to convert and have it sent wirelessly back to the Kindle. Presumably, the ten-cents-a-document charge helps offset the wireless fee. Wireless that Kindle owners get for free.

3. You can convert files yourself and transfer them to the Kindle (via USB) at no charge.

No, they don't. If you do a little research and have half a brain. Options:

1. Email the document to Amazon for conversion and they email it back to you for free. Transfer converted doc to your Kindle (via USB). All free.

2. Amazon will charge charge you if you email Amazon a file to convert and have it sent wirelessly back to the Kindle. Presumably, the ten-cents-a-document charge helps offset the wireless fee. Wireless that Kindle owners get for free.

3. You can convert files yourself and transfer them to the Kindle (via USB) at no charge.

This is what I was referring to. I can see how wireless connectivity would be great, but it's not enough to push it ahead IMO, YMMV.

As for the "half a brain comment": Bad form. :thumbdown

If the Kindle ever hits $100, I'll buy it. In the meantime, there's no way I can justify the price or the DRM but I am glad you folks enjoy yours. :thumbup1:

This is what I was referring to. I can see how wireless connectivity would be great, but it's not enough to push it ahead IMO, YMMV.

As for the "half a brain comment": Bad form. :thumbdown

I apologize. The "half a brain" comment was not directed at anyone specifically. A general "you" was what was intended. And I stand by it.

Anyone can post half-baked comments that sway opinion and are either incorrect or incomplete. Other folks are free to come along and either agree, disagree, or provide additional information. It's the nature of forums.

The overall comment (made in many forums, not just here) that Amazon charges you to put your own content on the Kindle is generally incorrect. It is specifically correct if you want it returned to the Kindle wirelessly. As pointed out.

Does the kindle still provide free access to wikipedia? That could seal the deal for me some day. Also, while traveling last summer my girlfriend could have hauled around a suitcase full of her books. Luckily we found people to trade with along the way. She is what you may call an avid reader.

Also, while traveling last summer my girlfriend could have hauled around a suitcase full of her books. Luckily we found people to trade with along the way. She is what you may call an avid reader.

I feel your pain. My wife is what you would call a voracious reader. We usually end up picking up books as we go along.

Something to consider: a Kindle would be a nice prize for a thief, whereas John Grisham's newest novel not so much.

I do not have a Kindle, but sat next to a guy on the plane to Japan who did have one.

In the past (i.e.-without seeing one) I thought it a ridiculous idea, as reading on an LCD screen (typical computer, Iphone, what have you) is far from enjoyable.

But then I saw the Kindle in person---the look of the text is markedly different from a computer screen! I feel they did a great job capturing the contrast and easy to read way a normal book does.

Top Bottom