What's new

The Kindle

I do not have a Kindle, but sat next to a guy on the plane to Japan who did have one.

In the past (i.e.-without seeing one) I thought it a ridiculous idea, as reading on an LCD screen (typical computer, Iphone, what have you) is far from enjoyable.

But then I saw the Kindle in person---the look of the text is markedly different from a computer screen! I feel they did a great job capturing the contrast and easy to read way a normal book does.

I was in the same boat as you. I thought reading off a device screen would be annoying and too different from an actual book to be enjoyable. Then, I tried out the iPhone Kindle app and was pleasantly surprised! It's actually pretty easy on the eyes and you can't beat the convenience factor if you have to travel. My SO and I read A LOT and therefore when we travel we end up having to lug a whole bunch of books around with us...the Kindle app definitely helps in that respect. :thumbup1:

No, they don't. If you do a little research and have half a brain.

I didn't take Hoos' comment as an attack on the quoted post, I understood him as saying that if you have half a brain you can figure out how to get the material onto your Kindle without being charged 10 cents.

I really think they should adjust the price point of the kindle. They are already making slightly more on each book sold as there is no actual production cost. Along with them probably making a pretty large profit per sale. I just can't see these things costing hundreds to produce, but I could be wrong with the e-ink. I think you would see a higher saturation of these in the market if they were say $100 or even $200. At their current price point you have to either have money to blow or really into reading.

I really think they should adjust the price point of the kindle. They are already making slightly more on each book sold as there is no actual production cost.

I am not an expert on the book business but you have to differentiate production cost and printing cost. Ebooks certainly still have a production cost, they're just not printed. The printed product is probably, and I'm guessing here, 15-20% of what makes up the price.

It's my understanding that the major chunk of the retail cost of a book represents the retailer's cut. Amazon is still a retailer, as opposed to the publisher, so you still have to deal with that cost to some degree.

Top Bottom