What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

So it looks like I'll be getting new clubs...the irons are Cobras with graphite shafts. One nice thing is the Cobras are last years model and substantially less expensive than this years model (which would be 2X as much). So I got that going for me.
I don't mind the older model because that dovetails perfectly with what I am...a much older model. Small BADABOOM!
The 2 woods are TaylorMade and it'll take a couple of weeks to get them all put together. Then I will have quite a few clubs to sell including my "infomercial" purchases.

golf-golfing.gif

Well, just a bad day today. One of my favourite guitarists, Dickey Betts passed away. A wonderful player whom I discovered along with the rest of the band on "Live at Gilmore East". Very elegant style and a distinctive voice.
The "Ramblin' Man" has gone down the road. RIP.
unnamed.jpg

Yesterdays shave was using a GSB on its 7th outing and My FlatBoy. Tube Green Proraso and my silicone collapsible lather bowl were employed and my S-H badger. The badger whipped up a good lather and kept most of it in the brush which I then painted on the phiz with. Not bad at all. Enough for my usual 3 passes. Nice yogurt consistency. The GSB and Flatboy were a great combo, nice no drama shave and finished off with the alum and Thayers. More sting but I attribute that to the Flatboy being efficient and it wasn't like the "Home Alone" scene at all.
Very nice and then it was exercise and a bike ride. Really enjoying my e-bike and when I'm in the absolute top level of electric assist I'm clocking along at 40 km/hr. Probably go a bit faster if I'd been riding with the wind...which always blows out here in the middle of nowhere. Great day.
Cheers!

omo-vdaycards.gif

40?? You'd keep up with the juiced-up Lance Armstrong at that pace. That would be kind of comical, Lance's head down, pumping away, Huck comes up from behind sipping some tea and blowing his doors off. Haha.
That's only 25 in freedom units. It's been a while since I've been adjacent to the sport but that would be on the low end for flat-ground pace even for clean racers.

That's only 25 in freedom units. It's been a while since I've been adjacent to the sport but that would be on the low end for flat-ground pace even for clean racers.
A quick search revealed 41kph was the speed, but I didn't look any further and ran with it. You may be correct, I'll use my comedic exception if I'm misspoken.

Edit: This is what I found, flat ground speed is 25-28, downhill is certainly more, in excess of 60mph.

Average Speed on Flat Ground: 25-28 mph

The average speed for professional cyclists while traversing on flat terrain is 25-28 mph. The average amateur cyclist travels about 17-18 mph while on flat ground.

Link.

A quick search revealed 41kph was the speed, but I didn't look any further and ran with it. You may be correct, I'll use my comedic exception if I'm misspoken.

Edit: This is what I found, flat ground speed is 25-28, downhill is certainly more, in excess of 60mph.

Average Speed on Flat Ground: 25-28 mph

The average speed for professional cyclists while traversing on flat terrain is 25-28 mph. The average amateur cyclist travels about 17-18 mph while on flat ground.

Link.
Seems accurate.

I wasn't really trying to be pedantic...just that 25mph isn't a big deal for an average pro. And guys like Armstrong were a few steps above that. I think he averaged close to that on *hard* stages in the TdF. Those guys are made different, drugs or not.

One of my brothers was a competitive cyclist on the national level back in the 80s. But he was nowhere near the top.

Seems accurate.

I wasn't really trying to be pedantic...just that 25mph isn't a big deal for an average pro. And guys like Armstrong were a few steps above that. I think he averaged close to that on *hard* stages in the TdF. Those guys are made different, drugs or not.

One of my brothers was a competitive cyclist on the national level back in the 80s. But he was nowhere near the top.
Lance came to life in the mountainous regions, likely directly due to the erythropoietin he took to increase his red blood cells. I found it odd he was lagging on the flag ground sprinting competition but once he got to the mountainous parts he was a world beater. Too good to be true. It was something he legitimately needed to take while they were treating his cancer, also something almost impossible to catch in a drug test unless you know what to look for.

It's funny, my brother was a little slower than average on the flat but somehow could blow guys away on climbs. But...not like Armstrong. Lol.
I don't mean to discount Lance's talent, he was certainly a very talented gifted cyclist. And like your brother, he had the physical and mental makeup to do better in the climbs. It's probably a slow twitch/fast twitch muscle ratio kind of thing.

So...being 70 and in average shape on an electric assisted bike, I'd say 40 km/hr is pretty damn impressive. It's almost the speed limit on most roads here...unless otherwise indicated. And I can maintain a pretty good clip uphill...for a 70 year old on an electric- assisted bike as well...without drugs etc...BADABOOM!

38b88a46-a128-4f64-93bb-0838df5be42b_text.gif

So...being 70 and in average shape on an electric assisted bike, I'd say 40 km/hr is pretty damn impressive. It's almost the speed limit on most roads here...unless otherwise indicated. And I can maintain a pretty good clip uphill...for a 70 year old on an electric- assisted bike as well...without drugs etc...BADABOOM!

View attachment 1835076
Maybe you would even get pulled over by the cops like our dear friend. Now that would be funny on a bicycle. You can then use this line......sir I was pedaling fast, because I heard banjo music.

Maybe you would even get pulled over by the cops like our dear friend. Now that would be funny on a bicycle.
Yep..."What's wrong officer"? "You were speeding" "I'm 70 years old on a bicycle, how is that possible"? "We got you doing 40 in a 30 zone". "So what"? "That's a school zone". "It's Sunday". "It's also a playground". "There's no children here". "Doesn't matter". "What if I promise to never do it again plus stop juicing and blood doping too"? "Whaaaat"?

So just received a letter from John @cajunrph and basically John's using different colour inks to show me what they look like. Very cool idea. There's several inks I'm going to be buying because I'm finding that just black is boring. I use the Ancient Copper from Diamine and really like it. Thanx pal this was a clever way to show someone what different inks write and look like. Now I'll load each pen with a different colour. Now how do we get others to join in and start writing letters? Prizes? Bus passes? I dunno. But it's fun to get a letter especially these days when everything is electronic and only takes as long as you can type.

So just received a letter from John @cajunrph and basically John's using different colour inks to show me what they look like. Very cool idea. There's several inks I'm going to be buying because I'm finding that just black is boring. I use the Ancient Copper from Diamine and really like it. Thanx pal this was a clever way to show someone what different inks write and look like. Now I'll load each pen with a different colour. Now how do we get others to join in and start writing letters? Prizes? Bus passes? I dunno. But it's fun to get a letter especially these days when everything is electronic and only takes as long as you can type.
I have a couple of nice Pelicans I picked up in the late '80s, but once I hit 50 words per minute on the keyboard, we'll, let's just say that I have handwritten fewer words in the past 35 years than during one week of business school. I'm so out of practice, and so used to easily correcting my work on a computer, that when I write by hand, every 5th word is crossed out and typed over.

But nice idea...

I'm working on your letter Don. Then I have to run to the post office to get some stamps since you are located on the frozen tundra up north.

Top Bottom