What's new

The Italian boar appreciation thread (Omega, Zenith, Mondial, Koh-I-Noor, ABC, etc)

This thread is dedicated to all things related to "professional" boars, commonly associated with Italian barbers. The common reference point for these brushes (and very widely available) are the Omega 10048 and 10049. It is worth nothing that these brushes are also manufactured by other countries - I know of Muhle of Germany. So I'm sure there are others.

Lovers of this brush style unite, share your collections, link your sources (if you want), tell us about obscure manufacturers, show off your custom brushes, and nerd out etc.

Some say these brushes are unruly, unergonomic, too large, but for the afficiodanos who appreciate them; - there is really nothing else worth your time! These brushes are a work of art.

Wielding a large "professional" boar takes a little adjustment to technique.

Discussion on non-professional boars, synthetics, and badgers in the same style/ spirit are welcome too.

One of my recent acquistions is an Omega 21762 "Italian Flag". 64mm height and 27mm knot- its similar in size to Omega's 10049 model.

Its made with a solid resin handle, so it feels better compared to the lighter ABS plastic handles more common with Omegas.

The bristles are also whiter and finer compared to my Omega 10048. Not quite as good as my Zenith which has super fine white bristles, but its definitely better than the 10048. I can't comfirm if all production models come with the higher grade of hair, or maybe it was a "luck of the draw" thing.

Pictured: Left Omega 10048, Right is my Zenith B8, and the "Italian flag" in the middle.

IMG_3543.JPG

One of my favourite videos showing an Italian barber wielding a pro style brush:

From 3:17 onwards.
See how he uses the client's chin to build the lather, and then spreads it using short paintbrush motions? That is really cool. I also love how these guys pinch the knot and turn the giant boar knot into a precision instrument. Never having been to a real Italian barber, I have learned a great deal about using these big boars by watching these Italian videos.

Just today, had like 3 parcels come in... long dormant acquisition disorder coming back with a vengence after years of austerity.

Although I must say its a bloody fitting brush for the August Italian shave off. Initial impressions have been really really good. I can't wait to give it a go tomorrow morning.

Also, you can probably **** on this thread and make it your territory @ColonelHogan

See how he uses the client's chin to build the lather, and then spreads it using short paintbrush motions? That is really cool. I also love how these guys pinch the knot and turn the giant boar knot into a precision instrument. Never having been to a real Italian barber, I have learned a great deal about using these big boars by watching these Italian videos.

Whats also badass is how he built some lather by massaging the bristles with his fingers and turning the brush in his palm.

^ good luck, stay strong!

I think it allows one to really appreciate the brushes that you do have. I didn't buy any brushes from mid-2013 until recently (July 2017). During this time I only had 2 soaps/creams max at one time. That forced me to use only stuff that I really REALLY enjoy.

I was travelling quite alot during that period, and just had other priorities. So it wasn't even really a conscious choice by me.

Of course now, shave YOLO is in full effect for me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
ABC makes claims that the use of specific boar hair makes for a much better brush. Has anyone dropped the $90 that can give a comparison?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I use the Big Brushes on the weekends, Saturday & Sunday. Those are my painting days when I really enjoy the bigger brushes. I enjoy boar and synthetic and badger and brushes from Britain and Italy and Germany.

proxy.php

Clockwise from the red & cream Speer (German) boar is an Omega boar, then you can just see the top of a Zenith 506 Manchurian badger, an Italian RazoRock (Zenith) Plissoft, a British Kent BK12 and then an Italian Zenith 506 best badger.
The big brushes can be a real joy but I find it does take a little longer to build the perfect weekend lather than with my smaller weekday brushes. I try to maintain a three week rotation though the weekday rotation is more like every six weeks. There just more of the smaller ones in line.

One day I want to add an EverReady 400 to the weekend rotation.

@Graydog details of those brushes pls! Dont just tease us.

@IMightBeWrong ABC boars might be made of unicorn bristles. I've never been game enough for the 50 euro thay charge to find out but, mate- YOLO. So get one and report back pls!

@jar_ I've seen this pic on that other thread, but your collection is awesome! Really loving that Speer from Germany. I never even heard of Speer until you.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
@jar_ I've seen this pic on that other thread, but your collection is awesome! Really loving that Speer from Germany. I never even heard of Speer until you.

The Speer has more backbone than my Omegas but about like the older boar and cased badger brushes than what is common today. Most of my old brushes are hand-me-downs like my razors that I found stored away in old boxes and brought out into the light again.

Zenith B05 boar: 60mm loft and 24mm knot, with a walnut handle. Like all Zeniths I've owned, this one does not have any smell out of the box.

The brush is pictured was after a short protocol:

1. Lather with shampoo followed by a 2 hour soak in cold water.

2. A hand lather of soap, left to dry for about 1-2 hours.

3. 24 hours to let the bristles completely dry.

Its already looking the part.

IMG_3570.JPG

This is my first wood handled brush- to other wood brush owners, any tips to help the longevity of the brush?

Can't imagine the constant exposure to water is good for its life. But then again I can't see how a shaving brush can avoid being in contact with water.

Apart from given the handle a wipe after every use, is there anything you guys do?

Koh-I-Noor SC68 barber boar brush.

Named after a famed diamond of the same name found in India during the 13th century, is Persian for "Mountian of Light" according to a credible source.

A good quality brush but I don't have the official measurements. Definitely a smaller knot diameter compared to the Omega 48. I would say its a mid-sized knot.

Bristles
Bristle quality is good, really soft after a short soak in cold water and after drying. It has zero funk.

Bristle comparison: I would say much better than the bristles you get on an Omega 48, but they are not as good as Zeniths. I would classify these in similar territory to the Omega Italian Flag, but the Koh I Noor is slightly better as there are more white hairs and Ive spotted on 1-2 light brown ones.

Handle
Solid plastic handle - similar to the 48, but better quality and heavier as they are solid rather than hollow.

Price
Managed to get this for 12 euro with VAT. So if you are outside the EU you could probably save circa 20% off the price. Problem is availability outside Italy.

All in all, I think this is a good brush of excellent quality, and a marked step up in quality from Omega boars.

Zenith still holds the title of King of the Boars in my book though.

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

Below: Zenith on the left, Omega 48 in the middle, and the Koh I Noor SC68 on the far right.
IMG_3583.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3584.JPG
    IMG_3584.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3586.JPG
    IMG_3586.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
Koh-I-Noor SC68 barber boar brush.

Named after a famed diamond of the same name found in India during the 13th century, is Persian for "Mountian of Light" according to a credible source.

A good quality brush but I don't have the official measurements. Definitely a smaller knot diameter compared to the Omega 48. I would say its a mid-sized knot.

Bristles
Bristle quality is good, really soft after a short soak in cold water and after drying. It has zero funk.

Bristle comparison: I would say much better than the bristles you get on an Omega 48, but they are not as good as Zeniths. I would classify these in similar territory to the Omega Italian Flag, but the Koh I Noor is slightly better as there are more white hairs and Ive spotted on 1-2 light brown ones.

Handle
Solid plastic handle - similar to the 48, but better quality and heavier as they are solid rather than hollow.

Price
Managed to get this for 12 euro with VAT. So if you are outside the EU you could probably save circa 20% off the price. Problem is availability outside Italy.

All in all, I think this is a good brush of excellent quality, and a marked step up in quality from Omega boars.

Zenith still holds the title of King of the Boars in my book though.

View attachment 812935
View attachment 812933

Below: Zenith on the left, Omega 48 in the middle, and the Koh I Noor SC68 on the far right.
View attachment 812934
The Koh-I-Noor is a mystical, elusive brush to me. I've only read about them. I was under the impression they no longer made big boars. At one time they did sell that model- the SC68- with an aluminium handle. You say its plastic, but different or heavier than the Omega plastic handle? Finally, where did you find it?

I'm envious of your recent boar binge. Seems like you're enjoying yourself, and you're getting some top notch equipment.

Top Bottom