What's new

THE Injector Razor Thread

Ah, the Pellas. I'm familiar with them. Worth another try. Thanks.
Pellas are the self same Injector blades & plastic Magazine as Personna....Personna make them and Pella rebrand them under their own name....The two companies are closely related.....

I have never had any issues loading Schick Injectors with plastic injector magazines....I have knackered these plastic injector magazines with PAL Injectors though as the Heads are a lot tighter than Schick's...

I just load them into a Metal Magazine..:001_cool:

Billy

proxy.php

My first injector and it is superb. Loaded with a Chick and buffeted with subpar lather with non-existent prep, this shave ought to have been dreadful. It wasn't. The experience was gentle, smooth, and intuitive. I cannot wait to get to know the Feather Injector better.

hi

i bought this type E schick from ebay, it came today with a pack of blades.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111709940750
ive read about the dangers of loading incorrectly and breaking springs etc so i want to make sure i do it properly. at present theres no blade in the razor.

how do i load the first blade correctly?

thanks

EDIT: just seen the little catch swings over to the left and loosens it all. do i still need to use the injector blade type loader then or do it by hand?

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like an E2, which can be opened. If there is a single tab on the right side of the spring, and no tab on the left side of the spring, then you can rotate the spring to the left to open it. If there are tabs on both sides of the spring, don't try to open it.

In the first case, open the razor and drop the blade holder assembly down, then CAREFULLY put the blade in so that it is setting behind, and touching, the blade stops at either side of the holder. You can then CAREFULLY close the razor and turn the spring to the right to lock it closed. Make sure that the blade is aligned properly and is sitting behind the stops. Alternatively, you can sacrifice a blade as in the following.

In the second case, the easiest procedure is to sacrifice a blade by loading it into the razor using the injector. Then load a second blade for shaving. The first blade will probably be buggered by running over the blade stops, so just throw it away. The second blade should be good to shave with. Alternatively, you can insert something to pry the head gently open (the key on the injector, a small screwdriver, a large toothpick, etc.) by inserting it into the key opening on the right side, then CAREFULLY inserting a blade from the left side and making sure that it seats properly behind and touching the blade stops.

The safest, surest, and easiest way is to sacrifice a blade.

yup it's an E-2. one can see the"made in the usa " stamped over the pivot circles on the back. I've got one like this also. Enjoy your shaves.

Definitely an early E2 - proceed with caution; my E2 is one of the most aggressive razors in my entire collection.

--Bob

Definitely an early E2 - proceed with caution; my E2 is one of the most aggressive razors in my entire collection.

--Bob
You know... I heard that before I got mine and was a little apprehensive. But it's a smoothie, and my go-to razor for when I have a couple days growth.

I have an E3 that is one of my favorite injectors, with a nice balance between aggressiveness and smoothness. I was expecting something similar with the E2, but it is much more aggressive.

After using it for the first time the alum block felt like a red hot coal. I've now gotten to where I can get a nearly irritation-free (and extremely close) shave with it, but it demands complete concentration.

I've been all over it with a magnifying glass and everything appears straight and true, and the blade locks in firmly against the stops.

I'm actually awaiting delivery on another E2 that I bought for the sole purpose of seeing if they're all this aggressive. :blink:

--Bob

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like an E2, which can be opened. If there is a single tab on the right side of the spring, and no tab on the left side of the spring, then you can rotate the spring to the left to open it. If there are tabs on both sides of the spring, don't try to open it.

In the first case, open the razor and drop the blade holder assembly down, then CAREFULLY put the blade in so that it is setting behind, and touching, the blade stops at either side of the holder. You can then CAREFULLY close the razor and turn the spring to the right to lock it closed. Make sure that the blade is aligned properly and is sitting behind the stops. Alternatively, you can sacrifice a blade as in the following.

In the second case, the easiest procedure is to sacrifice a blade by loading it into the razor using the injector. Then load a second blade for shaving. The first blade will probably be buggered by running over the blade stops, so just throw it away. The second blade should be good to shave with. Alternatively, you can insert something to pry the head gently open (the key on the injector, a small screwdriver, a large toothpick, etc.) by inserting it into the key opening on the right side, then CAREFULLY inserting a blade from the left side and making sure that it seats properly behind and touching the blade stops.

The safest, surest, and easiest way is to sacrifice a blade.

yup it's an E-2. one can see the"made in the usa " stamped over the pivot circles on the back. I've got one like this also. Enjoy your shaves.

--Bob

You know... I heard that before I got mine and was a little apprehensive. But it's a smoothie, and my go-to razor for when I have a couple days growth.

I have an E3 that is one of my favorite injectors, with a nice balance between aggressiveness and smoothness. I was expecting something similar with the E2, but it is much more aggressive.

After using it for the first time the alum block felt like a red hot coal. I've now gotten to where I can get a nearly irritation-free (and extremely close) shave with it, but it demands complete concentration.

I've been all over it with a magnifying glass and everything appears straight and true, and the blade locks in firmly against the stops.

I'm actually awaiting delivery on another E2 that I bought for the sole purpose of seeing if they're all this aggressive. :blink:

--Bob
thanks a lot for the advice. hopefully i can suss it out without wasting too many blades!! my problem is ive never used or even seen these before, and dont even know what the blade looks like yet :)

xxvaleria, yes the little lever swings to the left only. not knowing these razors though, it baffles me why i need to sacrifice a blade. surely if the little catch loosens everything then itd be easy to slip a blade in? and also, even if it didnt, those blade injector things with the key...... surely once the key is inserted it opens the razor up ready to accept a blade? why should it matter if theres a blade in there already?
oh, and why would it ruin a blade inserting one without one in there already? i need to know more about these razors, understand the workings of them. i dont spose theres a good youtube link anywhere is there? it just doesnt make sense to me at the moment cos i dont know what parts they consist of.

thanks a lot

EDIT: do i have a choice of either 'injecting' a blade or taking one out by hand and inserting it? i dont even know how to take a blade out of the injector yet :-D

Last edited:
They were not designed to be loaded without a blade already in the razor. They were originally sold with a blank blade in the razor to facilitate loading with a new blade. If there is a blade already in the razor, then inserting a new blade automatically ejects the old blade. If there is not a blade in the razor, then the new blade drags across the blade stops and it dulls the blade. You can try shaving with that blade, but you will probably be disappointed with the shave.

They were not designed to be loaded without a blade already in the razor. They were originally sold with a blank blade in the razor to facilitate loading with a new blade. If there is a blade already in the razor, then inserting a new blade automatically ejects the old blade. If there is not a blade in the razor, then the new blade drags across the blade stops and it dulls the blade. You can try shaving with that blade, but you will probably be disappointed with the shave.
ah ok, i sort of get that. ive just been and had a play tho and cant believe how easy it was with the little lever. i moved it to the left, it all fell open, i pushed a blade out with my fingernail (didnt use spring load) and placed it in blade rest. closed it up, bingo, ready to go. so thats your option 1 above yep?

ill have a good look when i change it next, try and see what you mean about the blade running across the stops if no blade was in.

thanks a lot for your help mate :)

experimented tonight, tried the schick for the first time. i think ive finally found what im looking for!! :)

had a great shave, the head felt just the right size and shape, i certainly wouldnt want more aggressive thats for sure. but i think i can finally start to get rid of my other razors now. my face is the smoothest its been for a long time!
a PAL adjustable in the post will let me experiment again with different aggressiveness i hope, and i may even look for a milder schick too.

thanks for the advice folks, its much appreciated.

Yeah, Stevie is correct there ...You have an early Type E that opens....Most don't open and if you inject an empty razor they tend to run along the blade sops and ruin the blade therefore another blade should be injected to replace the first one....To be honest I have a number of early Schick Injectors that open like the one you have, but I always inject a blade into the razor rather than do what you have just done because you will eventually knacker the spring doing that.....:001_cool:

Billy

Yeah, Stevie is correct there ...You have an early Type E that opens....Most don't open and if you inject an empty razor they tend to run along the blade sops and ruin the blade therefore another blade should be injected to replace the first one....To be honest I have a number of early Schick Injectors that open like the one you have, but I always inject a blade into the razor rather than do what you have just done because you will eventually knacker the spring doing that.....:001_cool:

Billy
thanks mate. can i just ask why that is tho? surely if the catch is there, then theyre meant to open like that? and it doesnt feel like its doing anything it shouldnt when i open it so why would it knacker it?
another thing that puzzles me. ok, say theres no blade in...... the injector pin opens the spring a little bit to allow room for the blade to be inserted..... then pushes the blade in. as you say, itll have to run along the stops to reach its final resting place.
now take the alternative, when theres a blade in. the pin still opens the spring a little to loosen it and allow the new blade to be pushed in. this time tho its going end to end with a blade already there, so its pushing it out. along the blade stops still!!

my point is, whether theres a blade in or not, the path the new blade takes will run along the blade stops, so whats the difference. it seems that catch is there to allow the blade to be changed more easily, and so it seems a shame to have to not use it.

apologies if im not understanding something correctly, like i say, these are new to me, so im looking at it from fresh eyes.

The razor was not made to open for changing the blade, it was made to open so that it could be cleaned more easily and thoroughly. The whole idea behind the injector concept was to minimize handling of the blade. When Col. Schick realized that people (like you :001_rolle) were attempting to load the blade by opening the razor, the design was changed so that it could not be opened. Of course some people insist on opening the newer versions anyway, damaging the spring in the process.

When the injector is inserted into the razor it releases the pressure on the blade, but more so at the side of the razor closest to the injector. Thus, if there is no blade in the razor the new blade will be pushed toward the blade stops as it slides in. With a blade already in the razor, the new blade goes straight in behind it, clearing the blade stops.

It is actually possible to insert a blade into a razor that doesn't have a blade in it without damaging it, but it has to be done very carefully. The process just works a whole lot smoother with a blade already in the razor.

I have an old injector that I keep a few used blades in just for this purpose. I have the blades lightly oiled and I'll run several of them through the razor to clean/lubricate it, before loading a new blade for shaving.

--Bob

Top Bottom