What's new

The Goodfellas' Smile Shibumi Kamisori Shavette

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd ask here.

I currently use my wife's eyebrow razor/blade for trimming a few erratic wiskers around my mustache. It's basically a tiny little straight blade on a plastic stick-like handle. I use one for a month or two, then throw it out. It seems rather wasteful. Then I stumbled across The Goodfellas' Smile Shibumi Kamisori shavette, and it seems like an interesting option. It'll see minimal use for shaving, just trimming. But I don't know how dangerous it will be, both breaking a blade in half and setting it properly, as well as using it with those sharp corners of the blade sticking out. Does anyone here have any experience using one in this way? Any thoughts, tips, opinions? I should add that I'm in Taiwan, so it's hard for me to get a lot of the products you may have access to. This one is available locally, but there may be others if you have a better suggestion.

Thanks!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm assuming that it is not expensive. Why don't you just give it a try and report back here with pictures on what you find?

I sometimes shave my face with a shavette using Feather half-DE blades - just to keep my hand in. The edge corners are exposed on that shavette.

IMG_20220319_091528.jpg

Sure, it takes some concentration and skill to not let those corners draw claret but is that the same with most shaving?

I have one.
I've found snapping the DE blade in half while in the paper wrapper is easy and safe.
Loading the blade into the carrier can be a bit fiddly as there are 2 clips the blade needs to slip under. When the blade is snapped the ends are bent just a little, it will be easier to get under the clips if these bends are up on the same side of the clips. The blade will lay flatter.
The carrier slides into the razor body with no issue.
I've never had any problems with the blade corners as it sits fairly deep into the razor.
20230526_145903a.jpg

20230608_081116.jpg

20230608_082013.jpg

20230608_081138.jpg

I have one.
I've found snapping the DE blade in half while in the paper wrapper is easy and safe.
Loading the blade into the carrier can be a bit fiddly as there are 2 clips the blade needs to slip under. When the blade is snapped the ends are bent just a little, it will be easier to get under the clips if these bends are up on the same side of the clips. The blade will lay flatter.
The carrier slides into the razor body with no issue.
I've never had any problems with the blade corners as it sits fairly deep into the razor.
How well do you think something like this would work for trim up work? Because it's a full-length DE blade, is it a little unwieldy in tight spaces? Can you snipe individual, errant whiskers with it? Will it bite too deeply? I ask because I keep a pretty tightly trimmed/groomed mustache with a fair bit of definition, and that requires removing excess whiskers from the top of the 'stache as well as the top of the lip.

Last edited:
There would be a learning curve. It can cut the skin, but with care and proper angle and attention that can be minimized or eliminated. It can cut individual hairs and should be maneuverable in the mustache area.
My tough area to do with it is across the grain on my throat, the long handle makes it a bit awkward there.

There would be a learning curve. It can cut the skin, but with care and proper angle and attention that can be minimized or eliminated. It can cut individual hairs and should be maneuverable in the mustache area.
My tough area to do with it is across the grain on my throat, the long handle makes it a bit awkward there.
Thanks!

I did my first touch-ups with it today. I didn't use a fresh blade, though. Rather, I took the old blade that I'd been using for quite a while in my razor, snapped it in half, and put it in there. It was a little fiddly to get the blade properly under the clips, but it only took about a minute or so. I was very gentle when trimming--obviously!--and I managed to snipe off the erratic whiskers and even trim my nose hair without incident. I'd give it two thumbs-up. 👍👍

Top Bottom