What's new

The Gem 1912 Registry (post pics of your 1912s)

I had a Treet and it is pictured earlier in this thread.

I personally was not impressed, but I know others like them.

I've also got another odd "variation" to contribute: here's a miss-stamped U.S. ER 1912 resulting in an open comb.
$IMG_4755.jpg

Last edited:
I've finally talked myself into shaving with my 1912 for the first time. I've had this razor for a couple months now and have been too nervous to try it out. I've never shaved with an SE razor, and I admit I was a bit intimidated. Now that I've done it, I feel foolish for waiting so long. I got a great shave without too much trouble at all. Will definitely be shaving with this razor more often.

Without further ado, may I present my humble 1912 GEM Junior.
View attachment 506972$IMG_1567.jpgView attachment 506974

I've finally talked myself into shaving with my 1912 for the first time. I've had this razor for a couple months now and have been too nervous to try it out. I've never shaved with an SE razor, and I admit I was a bit intimidated. Now that I've done it, I feel foolish for waiting so long. I got a great shave without too much trouble at all. Will definitely be shaving with this razor more often.

Without further ado, may I present my humble 1912 GEM Junior.
View attachment 506972View attachment 506973View attachment 506974
Congratulations! The 1912s are astonishingly good shavers, aren't they?

Well here is my GEM 1912 that came as a bonus with another DE razor I purchased. I have no clue about it but thought it sure looked neat. Is this just brass or does it have gold plating? Planning on giving it a whirl as soon as I pick up some blades for it. I have strictly been a DE user as May 2014 but since I now have a SE its time for an adventure. Can anyone recommend a good blade to pair with this razor? Thanks!

Attachments

• $IMG_2762.jpg
    $IMG_2762.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 126
  • $IMG_2763.jpg
    $IMG_2763.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 126
  • $IMG_2764.jpg
    $IMG_2764.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 128
Your 1912 appears to be gold plated - the brass ones will usually be dull. It is a very thin plating, so don't clean it with metal polish or anything abrasive.

Blade selection is much more limited than DE - your only real choice is carbon steel or stainless. You can get carbon steel blades in the shaving section of your local CVS drugstore.

Here is an extensive discussion of single edge blades:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292388-Single-edge-blade-guide

Don't try to use blades from the hardware store - they're made for paint scrapers and are not suitable for shaving, even though they look the same.

I got my first single edge razor last year. Now I have about 50 of them and never shave with anything else. You have been warned. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Your 1912 appears to be gold plated - the brass ones will usually be dull. It is a very thin plating, so don't clean it with metal polish or anything abrasive.

Blade selection is much more limited than DE - your only real choice is carbon steel or stainless. You can get carbon steel blades in the shaving section of your local CVS drugstore.

Here is an extensive discussion of single edge blades:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292388-Single-edge-blade-guide

Don't try to use blades from the hardware store - they're made for paint scrapers and are not suitable for shaving, even though they look the same.

I got my first single edge razor last year. Now I have about 50 of them and never shave with anything else. You have been warned. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Good thing I am already broke from buying vintage Gillette's. Ha. Thanks for the link to the blades. I am going to go check West Coast Shaving's site. I work about 15 minutes from there. Looking forward to trying it out. Definitely has my interest. Never thought I would even try one. At least I might be able to find some in an antique shop. All the DE's have been snagged already.

West Coast has the Gem Personna Stainless coated blades, and the Gem Blue Star carbon steel blades. The carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and dried after each shave, otherwise they will rust.

Some find the stainless blades to be a little harsh for the first couple of shaves.

Both are capable of excellent shaves, and both have their devoted fans.

--Bob

You've a lovely example there, mate. Some time during the early 1930s GEM changed over to the GEM Junior and modified the guard slightly, taking in the outside corners. Yours would therefore appear to be late 1920s.

To amplify advice already, the gold wash is VERY thin! At the absolutely most, WD-40 and a yellow duster for cleaning., perhaps gently massaging flat areas against your skin ... gently! Microfibre is too harsh, kitchen paper towel is too harsh, almost all metal polishes are too harsh. Go careful! Got it? Or, just get to know it as the great razor it is, lines of experience on its face.

You've a lovely example there, mate. Some time during the early 1930s GEM changed over to the GEM Junior and modified the guard slightly, taking in the outside corners. Yours would therefore appear to be late 1920s.

To amplify advice already, the gold wash is VERY thin! At the absolutely most, WD-40 and a yellow duster for cleaning., perhaps gently massaging flat areas against your skin ... gently! Microfibre is too harsh, kitchen paper towel is too harsh, almost all metal polishes are too harsh. Go careful! Got it? Or, just get to know it as the great razor it is, lines of experience on its face.

i pretty much just soaked it in some hot water with dish soap and gently scrubbed it with a soft toothbrush. Used cotton q-tips to get in to the tight spots. Calling it good enough to shave with. Thanks everyone. Will report back with my experiences.

Gem Jr. Not used much. Is this razor in it's correct box?

Attachments

• $20150112_121326.jpg
    $20150112_121326.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 86
  • $20150112_121337.jpg
    $20150112_121337.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 85
  • $20150112_121404.jpg
    $20150112_121404.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 85
Micromatic. I did use it alot when I first got it, not so much anymore. DE blades are a lot less expensive.
I did like the way it shaved.

Attachments

• $20150112_121534.jpg
    $20150112_121534.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 87
  • $20150112_121544.jpg
    $20150112_121544.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 89
  • $20150112_121649(1).jpg
    $20150112_121649(1).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom