What's new

The Gem 1912 Registry (post pics of your 1912s)

sweet handle.

attachment.php

OK, so I picked up another 1912 like the New Deluxe that I found a few weeks back. Same everything as the first one, but this one is stamped Damaskeene on the inside.

It is mostly from 1922-1925, and in the last version of the Damaskeene razors. It does not say "Use Only Damaskeene Blades", just "Damaskeene Blades", as at the same time the new GEM Double Life Blades where coming on the market.
$SAM_2800.jpg$SAM_2802.jpg$SAM_2803.jpg$SAM_2804.jpg$SAM_2805.jpg

I think I've just bagged one of those myself ...

... I have to wait the cursory 3-4 weeks for it to fly over the Atlantic. Funny, I'm sure last time I flew over the Atlantic, it took a lot less time. I did pay a lot more that time, though :D

Yes, very nice catch ...

I think what you have there is the crossover period somewhere around 1919. I'd love to hear others' opinion on this.

Let's keep this one rolling ...

Here's a smashing bakelite set I picked up recently:

proxy.php

... and a tatty, curiously handled Damaskeene:

proxy.php

I don't think I've ever seen that handle before. Nice!
That is the identical handle design to my small-threaded Ever Ready 1912 Brooklyn, adding weight to the "using up old stock" theory about the Brooklyn which is identical in design to the Damaskeene...

Presenting the British Made GEM* set:

proxy.php

... and to keep it company, my British Made Ever Ready set of the same:

proxy.php

* Yes, British Made!

For the Canadian market, do you think mos6502?

That was my first thought since mine came from Canada. Did yours come from Canada?

I might have to watch Canadian ebay listings and see how often british made Gems show up there.

Here is a 1912 variant that I don't see represented in this thread: The Gem de Luxe. According to Waits, this was one of the very first Gems with the 1912 design, with print advertisements dating back to 1911.

$caseset2.JPG

The most immediately noticeable feature of this razor is that it has an open comb. In fact, it bears a strong resemblance to the open comb Damaskeene featured earlier in this thread, with the curved top plate.

$side.JPG

But it is not a Damaskeene, there is nothing at all engraved on the inside of the bed plate.

$inside.JPG

The back of the bed plate is also different from any other 1912 that I have seen.

$back.JPG

I noticed the "Pat" underneath the Gem de Luxe, which I assume was short for Patent Pending, as there is no Pat'd 1912 around the handle socket.

$bottom.JPG

I also noticed that the handle has the smaller thread, like the Damaskeenes. The handle is hollow, and probably originally had a stropper stored inside it, which is long gone.

The two-tone spring-loaded blade bank is also interesting. Quoting Waits, "Possibly the first blade dispenser." It is marked, "Gem Cutlery Co. N.Y." on one end.

It is a smooth shaver. I was expecting it to be more agressive than my closed comb Damaskeenes, but I actually found the shave to be very similar. There is something magical about shaving with a razor that is over 100 years old.

--Bob

Here is a 1912 variant that I don't see represented in this thread: The Gem de Luxe. According to Waits, this was one of the very first Gems with the 1912 design, with print advertisements dating back to 1911.

View attachment 490855

The most immediately noticeable feature of this razor is that it has an open comb. In fact, it bears a strong resemblance to the open comb Damaskeene featured earlier in this thread, with the curved top plate.

View attachment 490845

But it is not a Damaskeene, there is nothing at all engraved on the inside of the bed plate.

View attachment 490846

The back of the bed plate is also different from any other 1912 that I have seen.

View attachment 490853

I noticed the "Pat" underneath the Gem de Luxe, which I assume was short for Patent Pending, as there is no Pat'd 1912 around the handle socket.

View attachment 490856

I also noticed that the handle has the smaller thread, like the Damaskeenes. The handle is hollow, and probably originally had a stropper stored inside it, which is long gone.

The two-tone spring-loaded blade bank is also interesting. Quoting Waits, "Possibly the first blade dispenser." It is marked, "Gem Cutlery Co. N.Y." on one end.

It is a smooth shaver. I was expecting it to be more agressive than my closed comb Damaskeenes, but I actually found the shave to be very similar. There is something magical about shaving with a razor that is over 100 years old.

--Bob
That is absolutely beautiful!

Top Bottom