What's new

The Game Changer

Wow, what a celebrated razor! I have seen a lot of people here on B&B are using it and loving it. A Wolfman-esque razor for $55, sounds like a great opportunity.

Personally, my skepticism creeps in when I see so many people going nuts about something. It's an old instinct from my less mature days, so I thought I would do the grownup thing and ask you guys what you really think of it. Is it great? Is it hype? Is it innovation or just the flavor of the month? What does it do that other razors don't?

Are we missing out if we don't have one?

All very subjective questions unfortunately. There are very few artisan razors out that don’t have some kind of following or that haven’t been hyped over to some extent.

Does it do anything any other razor doesn’t? Short answer - no. Like it’s friends, cousins, and distant relatives, it’s a razor, it cuts, and gives a good shave if one take the time to learn it.

It is part of a niche artisan market that seeks to put higher quality razors in the hands of users for a more reasonable price. As one who doesn’t own a shaving item over $70 (my Feather SS is the most expensive shave item I own) I applaud them for doing it.

For me, it’s my daily shave finisher - ATG and touch ups. I couldn’t be happier with it. And yes, I have the .68 gap.

The .68 version was way too mild for me, leaving many hairs in my neck area uncut. However, if you can go against the grain, it might work well for you. I can't. so for me it was a complete and total dud.

However... the larger gap hits a great balance for me between comfort and close-cutting. A nice piece.

Manufacturing quality seems very good.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I understand your skepticism, but I have to admit to have followed along and purchased two of the recent "hot items" frequently mentioned here. First it was the Rockwell 6C (I didn't want to spring for the $100 stainless steel version, and I thought the gunmetal 6C was more attractive). I have no complaints about the 6C, and the 6 plates provide all the flexibility you could want. Nevertheless, the Game Changer appealed to me, and at that price I once again followed the crowd.
Does the Game Changer shave better than the 6C? Not really. And even though I have both the .68 and .84 plates, it doesn't have 6 choices like the 6C. But it is a smaller head design that I find both more maneuverable and more visually appealing than the 6C and most other razors I own. I use it every morning, and I'm very glad that I bought it.

Wow, what a celebrated razor! I have seen a lot of people here on B&B are using it and loving it. A Wolfman-esque razor for $55, sounds like a great opportunity.

Personally, my skepticism creeps in when I see so many people going nuts about something. It's an old instinct from my less mature days, so I thought I would do the grownup thing and ask you guys what you really think of it. Is it great? Is it hype? Is it innovation or just the flavor of the month? What does it do that other razors don't?

One thing the GC gives you, other than high quality, CNC-machined stainless steel and a thin, maneuverable head and good balance, as have been mentioned, is a very rigidly clamped blade edge. Some here swear by that and will use nothing that isn't as rigid as possible, but imo it's a very personal thing depending on your beard and skin type and how you shave. If you do some searching. you'll see that this has been debated here at length.

A very well made razor. I have the .84 head and it gives a very efficient and smooth shave. You can't go wrong buying a razor like this, especially at this price point.

If you read through all the GC posts on any forum one of the most posted comments is, "for the price its a no brainer"!! Thats a huge red flag and reeks of RAD for the majority and says nothing of the razor itself... It might be a very well made SS razor in a price point that fits the masses, but in the end if you read through all the posts it shaves like a $50 razor and has found its way to the back on the cabinet, sold, or pif'd because they found something else that shaved better!!

eta... Looking back just in this thread, 4 of the 7 replies agree with the 1st sentence of my post...

Last edited:
If you read through all the GC posts on any forum one of the most posted comments is, "for the price its a no brainer"!! Thats a huge red flag and reeks of RAD for the majority and says nothing of the razor itself... It might be a very well made SS razor in a price point that fits the masses, but in the end if you read through all the posts it shaves like a $50 razor and has found its way to the back on the cabinet, sold, or pif'd because they found something else that shaved better!!
That certainly hasn't been my experience, and reading through the threads I don't think it's the experience of most of those who have purchased the Game Changer. I'm not sure what it means to say "it shaves like a $50 razor", but it shaves as well (or better) than any other razor I have owned. Admittedly, only one of those, a Feather AS-D1, is a $100+ razor, so maybe the Timeless, ATT, Wolfman, etc. provide a better shave experience. But there are many folks, including me, who balk at spending over $100 on a razor and who are happy to use one that provides quality at a lower price point. And for what it's worth, you will find many who swear by razors that cost a whole lot less than $50 - the Fatip fans and many of the vintage Gillette fans for example.

eta... Looking back just in this thread, 4 of the 7 replies agree with the 1st sentence of my post...
I have the Game Changer .84, Karve, Timeless .95 & ATT SE1. If I were forced to keep only one, based solely on performance (I like the look of the Timeless best), it would most likely be the Game Changer. All of the others are excellent razors but, for me, the Game Changer has the perfect balance of smoothness & effectiveness. If I lost mine, and the price for a new one had been significantly increased, I wouldn’t hesitate to replace it.

It’s true that the Game Changer is a great razor for the price. The “no brainer” part comes from the fact that even if you hate it, you haven’t made a huge investment.

Well, I was right about the debate part, wasn't I? :001_smile As for the price question, as I tend to bang things up, drop them and even lose them altogether, a $300-$400 razor wouldn't be a practical choice for me. Plus, it turns out I don't need to spend that much to get an excellent shave. YMMV.

Well, I was right about the debate part, wasn't I? :001_smile
And it's great food for thought!

Although I have 15 razors, none are what you would call modern. The Merkur 1906 is as close as I get, but the rest of my collection is something I take a lot of pride in. I have an almost pathological loyalty to vintage razors but a part of me wonders what the latest thing would be like. I have a fear of missing out but also a fear of being disappointed.

Eventually I plan on getting something very recent. If I do get the Game Changer, it will be when it comes off the dreaded waitlist. Waiting around for manufacturing to catch up is something I don't care for at all. I don't wait in line for anything unless I want it very badly. I don't love the idea of unpolished stainless steel but I would be willing to keep an open mind, especially if it works well.

Last edited:

In my experience with this razor, it shaves better than many razors that cost much more

Eventually I plan on getting something very recent. If I do get the Game Changer, it will be when it comes off the dreaded waitlist. Waiting around for manufacturing to catch up is something I don't care for at all. I don't wait in line for anything unless I want it very badly. I don't love the idea of unpolished stainless steel but I would be willing to keep an open mind, especially if it works well.

Just a couple points of clarification. There isn’t a wait list. It’s first come, first served on drops. To that point, the .84 gap, full razor is available this very moment, wait free. The .68 head, it sounds like, sadly, may no longer be produced. That info is from Joe’s (RR owner) Twitter feed.

The finish on the razor is polished, but the head is not mirror polished. The handles are mirror polished though. You can easily polish the head yourself to a mirror finish if it bothers enough. A number of folks have done it here.

Just a couple points of clarification. There isn’t a wait list. It’s first come, first served on drops. To that point, the .84 gap, full razor is available this very moment, wait free. The .68 head, it sounds like, sadly, may no longer be produced. That info is from Joe’s (RR owner) Twitter feed.

The finish on the razor is polished, but the head is not mirror polished. The handles are mirror polished though. You can easily polish the head yourself to a mirror finish if it bothers enough. A number of folks have done it here.
That is good clarification to have, thank you.

I have the .68, purchased with the barber poll handle from the final drop. I will use it for the first time on Christmas morning so I can't comment on the shave yet. This is the most expensive razor I have ever purchased. The build quality is perfect and the finish looks polished both head and handle. I have loaded some blades and alignment is also perfect. It looks and feels like a precision tool made to exacting standards. I am sure there will be a learning curve as with most razors but I am confident it will do its job well. Will I get the .84 plate? Time will tell. I will probably hold out for the OC Karve or Stainless Karve or or, well you get the idea. Kudos to Razo rock for producing high quality products as affordable prices.

Do most of us really need another shave item in the den? If you're happy with your setup, then probably not. If you're bored or want something slightly more aggressive than a Merkur 34, give the GC (.68) a shot. I can't speak to the aggressiveness of the .84 head. The GC .68 did replace the 34G I had been using the last 5 years. I do get a smoother, closer shave with less touch-up than the 34.

If you are interested, forget about signing up for notification. Put a link to the GC page on your desktop and click it once or twice day. I wasn't in a hurry to get one, so didn't really care how long it took. I guess it took a couple weeks until I saw a Barber Pole available and ordered. I think by the time I got the notification, it was sold out again.

WOW.... I didn't make my comments to hurt anyones feelings, but seems I did reading some of the responses, yet again I'll point out price was mentioned a few times more. I never said in my original post that it was a bad razor, I said it was a razor that most have either set aside for another razor, sold, or pif'd to someone else...

More importantly the lack of it being an actual game changer and being the only go to razor for everyones "daily" shaves!! For the 1000's of razors IB claims to have sold I have read only a handful of posts in all the threads I've seen on a few sites where it was a "daily" shaver for merely a handful of people. That was it!! No reason to flame me over that!!

Top Bottom