What's new

The Fabled "Tan Tip" SS Under the Radar?

I own a mint condition blue tip set & I can say for a fact that there is no lacquer or finish of any kind on the tip. I'm not much of an artist or painter but the blue color appears to be airbrushed on or some equivalent back in the day. The splines on the tip aren't clogged up with paint so I'd bet it's not dipped either.

How about another theory. Did Gillette machine the handles of these superspeeds themselves or was it done to their specifications by an outside supplier and then the razor assembled by Gillette?

If that senario is true, then could this "tan" on the handle be a protective coating applied by the outside supplier? Manufacturing defect maybe?

I own a mint condition blue tip set & I can say for a fact that there is no lacquer or finish of any kind on the tip. I'm not much of an artist or painter but the blue color appears to be airbrushed on or some equivalent back in the day. The splines on the tip aren't clogged up with paint so I'd bet it's not dipped either.

Would powder coating clog?

According to Wikipedia, Gillette manufactured the razors. Back in those days, if you sold something, you made most of the major parts yourself. Stuff like rivits would be outsourced to a rivet company.

Top Bottom