What's new

The end of McClelland

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Guys, sorry to be the one to share this news:

“A source close to the company just told me that Mike will soon announce the dissolution of the business and they will make no more tobacco. This comes not as a result of the FDA but the fact that the quality leaf is now too difficult to obtain.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I heard it but don’t believe it...yet. Supposedly Mike always talks of shutting down?

That sucks. Losing two main tobacco companies. I never got to try out many of McClellands blends. Got a handful of them but not many. Guess thats a good thing. Maybe I don't have enough to really get to like them lol. Guess we will see how it plays out.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
So, will that be the end of the Frog Morton Series?

Yes, plus all of the blends McClelland makes under other names (like Butera and Benjamin Hartwell), plus blenders that use their bulk to blend (like Peretti).

I understand the quality of leaf is unavailable. Makes me wonder though.... do all the other makers use worse quality? Or that much worse?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I bet a lot the McClelland’s Red’s went to the 40th Anniversary Blend. It’s the only VA really left in stock at SP. Went down over 300 overnight and stands at about 279 left.

I already had 5 tins, but after contemplating life last night I ordered 5 more and another FM for good measure.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Man, I'm going broke trying to buy up endangered baccy!
Order placed FMOTT 100 gm x6

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I understand the quality of leaf is unavailable. Makes me wonder though.... do all the other makers use worse quality? Or that much worse?

Reading Micah’s link it seems they just want to retire already. The hassle and expense of trying to track down more tobacco for future blends might have proved too much for a couple looking forward to a life leisure.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Man, I'm going broke trying to buy up endangered baccy!

JR Cigar had a few of the less popular blends. Looking at Virginia Woods, British Woods and Bombay Court and Navy Cavendish...any opinions?

Reading Micah’s link it seems they just want to retire already. The hassle and expense of trying to track down more tobacco for future blends might have proved too much for a couple looking forward to a life leisure.
I can definitely understand that. Especially with all the increasing regulations on tobacco. I hope they will consider selling the company instead of completely closing it down. I know there would be changes and adjustments but maybe it wouldn't be a total loss.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes, plus all of the blends McClelland makes under other names (like Butera and Benjamin Hartwell), plus blenders that use their bulk to blend (like Peretti).

Thanks for the heads up @Hirsute! Was sittin' on 5 100 gram tins of Cellar, now have 10 100 gram tins. :) Have been looking at some of their Anniversary Virginia stuff. what are the differences like between a blue tin of Anniversary Virginia and a green tin of Anniversary Virginia?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up @Hirsute! Was sittin' on 5 100 gram tins of Cellar, now have 10 100 gram tins. :) Have been looking at some of their Anniversary Virginia stuff. what are the differences like between a blue tin of Anniversary Virginia and a green tin of Anniversary Virginia?

Which green tin are your referring to? Maybe the one with the green/blue wax on the top?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

...you can still get the blue tin @ SP

Top Bottom