Piccolo/Voskhod
CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout and a dab of Omega cream
B7F1D630-3753-437B-8B3B-F18BF3B53BD6.jpeg

E125910A-9E53-45EC-BF19-F1F0825D6FAA.jpeg

Fatip Piccolo - just a great razor
PRC Gustave - I like this big hefty guy more every time I get him out

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Happy New Year!!! I rang in the new year with a daily-double….these are not my oldest safety razors, but both are iconic (to me, at least) in their respective genres (DE & SE). Both of them came into the world 115 years ago.

The Gillette Double Ring had a brand new Nacet blade, and the Gem Zinn Automatic had a relatively new (3 or so shaves) Schick Proline B-20. The soap was my very first, Cella, and it was lathered with a relatively new badger brush. The finish was a some Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and some Krampert's Bay Rum. The shave was well worthy of a new year. The DR got the first pass, the Zinn took the second (and some light touch-up)....the result was DFS+!

Sorry for the multiple pics -- it's just the way the shoot turned out this morning.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Had a great Daily Double today.
First and second pass Gem Damaskeene
Light cleanup and back of neck Henckels Rapide
Both razors shared a new Gem SS blade.
Cella lathered a bit wet on my two band SHD badger provided excellent cushion and glide.

20200102_120937_HDR~2.jpg

Yesterday’s post, finally hit the button today:

“Happy New Year! Shaved early, worked outside all day.

It was a great shave to start a new year. Perhaps a portent of a good things to come.

Shower prep
Henckels 95 - well worn, but a good shaver
Fatip Piccolo / Voskhod 4 ”

And that’s as far as I got...

More Piccolo goodness today. Sticking with one DE until the blade is done is making my SR and soap choice the whole story. And life is getting busy.

I picked up some Persona carpet cutter blades to try in the Durham Duplex today. The shave was quite comfortable. These razors are definitely interesting and I look forward to using them more. I did have my Gem curved top squat head loaded with a second use Gem SS. I used it for backup just in case and to handle a few touch ups in spots where the Durham is a little to big to get conveniently.

20200103_152806_HDR~2.jpg
20200103_153232_HDR~2.jpg

I picked up some Persona carpet cutter blades to try in the Durham Duplex today. The shave was quite comfortable. These razors are definitely interesting and I look forward to using them more. I did have my Gem curved top squat head loaded with a second use Gem SS. I used it for backup just in case and to handle a few touch ups in spots where the Durham is a little to big to get conveniently.

View attachment 1049415View attachment 1049414

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: [awed silence...]

I had an Excellent shave with two wonderful razors by ASR sharing a 4th use Gem SS. The Gem Featherweight Deluxe and the Ever-Ready Little lather catcher. These are both great razors but at nearly opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of shave characteristics. The Gem handled touching up the upper beard lines and the Ever-Ready handled the neck below the beard. Don't worry I stopped at the collar bone. Pre-shave was handled buy a wash with Palmolive stick and a light rinse leaving some of the soap. Then I whipped up a nice wet lather of Tabac on my SHD two band badger. A little witch hazel splash rounded things out.

It's been a long time since I shaved my head.
I used 4 razors total today between shaving my head and my regular shave. I started things off with a 5th use Gem SS blade but switched it out for a new one about half way through. The Gem bumpless MMOC, Gem CP, TNNSER 3D and Henckels Rapide all plaid a part in a great shave. Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood on SHD two band badger provided a great lather with plenty to spare.

Here I am about half way through the first pass with the Henckels Rapide.

I didn't bother to trim my hair before the shave. I can say that the Clog-proof isn't quite clog-proof. But the Rapid handled things surprisingly well although i did have to rinse frequently it rinsed out very easily.

The other three razors handled the rest of the shave pretty equally. And here is the end result. A very close comfortable shave. Except of course for my beard witch I don't plan on ever shaving.

Got back to an SR/OC double. Two and a half day’s worth of stubble. Bedtime shave, so I can skip it before skiing tomorrow.

Portland Razor Co 1/4 hollow Gustave custom 7/8
Fatip Piccolo / Voskhod (8)
Badger knot on 3D printed handle
BOSC Special Reserve Armani Code clone croap
Alum, witch hazel

The LOTH watched me shave with a straight for the first time. And talked. A bit distracting...

I’m enjoying a long run of SE shaves. Doubled up with an SR today to reduce 3 days worth of stubble. Classic American shave with the vintage Old Spice and a splash of Aqua Velva after it was all over.

6CFE652F-CFBD-4196-AB22-37BCC7C0C8BA.jpeg

I finally tried out the adapter screw a friend sent me. I like longer handles and the one that came with the Ever-ready 1914 is a reasonable length but it was fun to try something a little longer. The shave was great from the 1914 and the Shick Eversharp. And the lather was wonderful from the SHD two band badger and Mer Shavings fougere orange donkey's milk soap.

I should be shaving more often, but life has been intervening. Quiet day, empty house for a few hours, so I caught up on a 3 day stubble with a great Double.

SR - Portland Razor Works 7/8 Gustave 1/4 hollow O1 steel
DE - brass Karve OC-D plate 3” handle / Voskhod (2)
Semogue boar
BOSC Special Reserve Armani Code clone soap
After - alum, witch hazel, Proraso green AS

The heavyweight Gustave does a great job going after multi-day stubble. I gave it the full stropping sequence, more for the zen of stropping than for improving the already excellent edge.

A Voskhod on it second shave is a smooth and close cutter. The Karve D plate is always the right tool for me when I’m looking to stop the fuzz in its tracks and get back to cleancut. Just a fine morning and a fine shave.

I had an excellent shave today with my two newly made handles. One sporting a Gillette thin cap old type with. 3rd use Nacet blade and the other sporting a Gem Jr. Bar and a 5th use Gem SS PTFE. Tabac with a little lubriderm for added moisture whipped up beautifully on SHD two band badger. Finished things off with a splash of which hazel. The results are a very smooth irritation free shave.

I had an excellent shave today with my two newly made handles. One sporting a Gillette thin cap old type with. 3rd use Nacet blade and the other sporting a Gem Jr. Bar and a 5th use Gem SS PTFE. Tabac with a little lubriderm for added moisture whipped up beautifully on SHD two band badger. Finished things off with a splash of which hazel. The results are a very smooth irritation free shave.

You are on your handle game. Knocking it out of the park!

Top Bottom