What's new

The Daily Double

Today I put the curved top squathead against the flat top with the Ted Pella on its 3rd use. I didn't have very much stubble for a fair comparison so I will revisit this matchup later. However I believe the curved top is the slightly more aggressive of the two.

20191125_081053.jpg
20191125_081028.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I usually mix Arko with Cremo cooling and like those results much more.
Can you do handle knurling? Or is that the wrong kind of machining?
I keep a tube of Cremo around to mix with Arko and Williams, I have noticed a definite improvement with both, but Arko is usually fine on it's own.

Knurling is one of the fine arts of machining that can take some practice to master. Very similar to what is known as Single Point Threading. Both can be done on either manual or CNC type machines, you just need the right tooling. I do have knurling tools I can use on handles, and have also machined some patterns on my own handles that I have made.

I keep a tube of Cremo around to mix with Arko and Williams, I have noticed a definite improvement with both, but Arko is usually fine on it's own.

Knurling is one of the fine arts of machining that can take some practice to master. Very similar to what is known as Single Point Threading. Both can be done on either manual or CNC type machines, you just need the right tooling. I do have knurling tools I can use on handles, and have also machined some patterns on my own handles that I have made.

That's pretty cool. I wish I had access to some metal working equipment. Can you do barberpole knurling similar to that of a Gillete bulldog?

DD very complicated but very close

Prep - shower
Pass 1 - Portland Razor Company “The Sprite”
Pass 2.1 R - Micromatic Guiding Eye Bullet Tip
Pass 2.2 L - Ever-Ready Shovelhead, fresh outta Brooklyn
Gem (2) shared
Cream base - Cremo Cooling
Wet lather overcoat - Declaration Grooming After the Rain
Brush - Ever-Ready banded boar, vintage knot
Post - alum (test), witch hazel, Proraso Green

363584F4-6C81-4B82-A400-9BDA0A0AC9EF.jpeg

Attentive DFS+, all three razors did very well, best shave ever using After the Rain (Cremo base helped I’m sure, but the DGATR made up into a fine wet lather).

Excellent work by the MMBT, but it was edged out ever so slightly by that ‘24 short-blockneck Shovelhead.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That's pretty cool. I wish I had access to some metal working equipment. Can you do barberpole knurling similar to that of a Gillete bulldog?
I continue to be amazed by all of the designs I see on vintage razors. Almost all the production knurling I have done was simple diamond or straight knurls. I have a RazoRock Barberpole handle that is similar to the Gillette bulldog, and that particular knurl is actually quite a feat of machining.
I don't have the tooling for that at this time.
I have made a dozen or so handles on the CNC lathes we had at work, but I just retired. I have an old Brown & Sharp turret lathe I just took out of storage I plan on getting up and running next year. I am also starting to look at used CNC lathes, just like vintage razors, some can be had at quite a bargain when you know what you are looking for, and where to look.
20190518_152803[1].jpg

I continue to be amazed by all of the designs I see on vintage razors. Almost all the production knurling I have done was simple diamond or straight knurls. I have a RazoRock Barberpole handle that is similar to the Gillette bulldog, and that particular knurl is actually quite a feat of machining.
I have made a dozen or so handles on the CNC lathes we had at work, but I just retired. I have an old Brown & Sharp turret lathe I just took out of storage I plan on getting up and running next year. I am also starting to look at used CNC lathes, just like vintage razors, some can be had at quite a bargain when you know what you are looking for, and where to look.
View attachment 1038254

All those handles look spectacular. That knurling reminds me of pineapple or palm trees.
What material are they.
I wonder if a spiral flute could be cut in to make the deeper barberpole groves then cut a light knurling over that for grip. To me that's what the Bulldog looks like. And of all the knurling I've seen the Bulldog has some of the prettiest of the vintage razors.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
All those handles look spectacular. That knurling reminds me of pineapple or palm trees.
What material are they.
I wonder if a spiral flute could be cut in to make the deeper barberpole groves then cut a light knurling over that for grip. To me that's what the Bulldog looks like. And of all the knurling I've seen the Bulldog has some of the prettiest of the vintage razors.
I must agree the Bulldog has beautiful knurl. It is basically a 24 spline with a 2" pitch and a 30 degree straight knurl, in technical terms. Gillette probably made their handles on either an 8 spindle Acme Gridley, or a 12 spindle Davenport. Noisy as all get-out. Production would have been around 10-30 seconds a part max.

For my handles, I used the materials we had on hand at work, a few are 6061 aluminum, the others are 17-4ph stainless steel, titanium, and bronze. These are the last 2 handles that I made, one is titanium, and the other one is bead-blasted titanium with a bronze insert that I use on my CG 68.
20191109_193056[1].jpg20191114_081520[1].jpg

I must agree the Bulldog has beautiful knurl. It is basically a 24 spline with a 2" pitch and a 30 degree straight knurl, in technical terms. Gillette probably made their handles on either an 8 spindle Acme Gridley, or a 12 spindle Davenport. Noisy as all get-out. Production would have been around 10-30 seconds a part max.

For my handles, I used the materials we had on hand at work, a few are 6061 aluminum, the others are 17-4ph stainless steel, titanium, and bronze. These are the last 2 handles that I made, one is titanium, and the other one is bead-blasted titanium with a bronze insert that I use on my CG 68.
View attachment 1038345View attachment 1038347

Absolutely amazing looking handles you have there. I love the one with the bronze insert.

View attachment 1038254

Just jealous. :001_wub: Time to shop for another Russian Ti handle, but that’s nowhere near the satisfaction of creating one for myself.

Today's Thanksgiving day Daily Double shave.
Henkels Rapide with 4th use Gem by Ted Pella.
Durham Duplex with aluminum handle using a first use Perssona pathology blade.
Mer Shavings Fougere orange on Boar brush lathered well.
The Durham was tugging a little bit on the first pass but the Henkels finished that up wonderfully and I enjoyed most of the second pass with the Durham. Then my wife cleaned up the back of my neck with the Henkels. All in all a very enjoyable shave. I have a few more Durham's on the way including one of the straight razor style with the stropping attachment. I look forward to try Durhams with a stropped blade I've read that it's quite an improvement.

20191128_105458.jpg

Last edited:
Had a great shave today with my Gillette thin cap on ABC scroll handle with a 1st use Voskhod blade and my recently straightened out Gem Damaskeen with a fifth use Ted Pella blade.
This was my first shave with a Voskhod and I like the blade so far. I can see why they are a popular blade.

20191201_122208.jpg

Had a great Daily Double end of the day wind down.

Gem MMCP
ER 1914 little lather catcher
Gem SS PTFE by Ted Pella
Tabac
Two band badger
Whitchazle splash

20191202_165154.jpg

Posting has been backlogged:

Monday RazoRock triple milled lime
2D805CEF-83E0-47CA-B5D4-2D933A5D5886.jpeg

Tuesday Arko
3071F7D4-3806-44A2-A334-0BCF1E60F01C.jpeg

Today all the Proraso Green in the den
2FF773AF-8FE5-4FAC-BC2A-E729810FF8CB.jpeg

Durham Duplex Daily Double today.
I did the whole shave with these two razors. I stropped the Personna pathology blade with a different method on one edge than the other.theee was a difference in the shave. I have a paddle strop and I think a hanging strop would work better.

20191204_154406.jpg
20191204_154455.jpg

Great shave today with the TNNSER 3D and a shavette. And of course Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood on a two band badger is always a great choice.
Even with a 7th use Gem SS PTFE the TNNSER 3D doesn't disappoint. The shavette did well but the blades I have for it can be a tad harsh.

20191205_150040.jpg

Three strokes on left cheek with a shavette, then finished 3 passes with my Gamechanger .68p

Shaky hands make the shavette too dangerous.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Three strokes on left cheek with a shavette, then finished 3 passes with my Gamechanger .68p

Shaky hands make the shavette too dangerous.
I hear you, I put my straights away for a month and a half after just starting to get a bit brave, after a few lapses in caution....... I find using the Feather Artist Club Pro SS with Proguard blades a good way to get me back in the groove. I love my GC 68p too.

In the SR / OC groove

Kinfolks Blue Steel Special
RR GC-OC84
3D print 2-band badger
Vintage Old Spice (mug “Made in Belgium”, soap from New Jersey?)
Alum/witch hazel
8BBE0A96-4185-4B83-8D4A-62D7B2206922.jpeg

The Old Spice makes a soft lather that holds lots of water. I’m not nostalgic about the scent, but it does give me both barbershop and mellow spice. Once I play with it a bit, I will probably dole it out slowly for nostalgic shaves with vintage American gear. The Kinfolks is pretty vintage, more so than this late production Old Spice. The OS is nice and slick, even without a glycerin-ish base coat.

Today's Daily Double paired the Enders speed loaded with a first use Schick proline B20 and a Kamasuri style shavette loaded with a feather proguard. Mer Shavings Fougere Bay on two hand badger provided the glide with a dab of lotion for a little extra slickness.

20191208_103329.jpg

Top Bottom