What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

My Rhodium set came in and here are my honest impressions without trying to protect any post purchase anxiety as I paid a high price.

The case was nice with ever ready name going horizonal which I found that interesting. First impressions were it is a beatiful tool. Next to my edwin jagger and mint gem 1912 it really stood out and not just in the Rhodium finish but the design is just sexy, makes you want to pick it up.

It is very heavy, much heavier than I expected and more heavy than my current razors. The weight made it a bit slippery probably because I need to get used to it.

I did two careful passes, and one ATG which is normal for me. Being as gingerly with it as I was it out performed better than anything I have or the blade angle is just that comfortable for me on the first try. I would have to call it agressive as I could get the same results maxing out the capabilities of a familiar razor but was talking this ferrari on a test drive well under it's capabilities. I need to practice and get used to the weight and handling. I like to hold a razor up high where the knurling is gone so holding lower. Wow what a performer, I am impressed after one shave.

Last edited:
My Rhodium set came in and here are my honest impressions without trying to protect any post purchase anxiety as I paid a high price.

The case was nice with ever ready name going horizonal which I found that interesting. First impressions were it is a beatiful tool. Next to my edwin jagger and mint gem 1912 it really stood out and not just in the Rhodium finish but the design is just sexy, makes you want to pick it up.

It is very heavy, much heavier than I expected and more heavy than my current razors. The weight made it a bit slippery probably because I need to get used to it.

I did two careful passes, and one ATG which is normal for me. Being as gingerly with it as I was it out performed better than anything I have or the blade angle is just that comfortable for me on the first try. I would have to call it agressive as I could get the same results maxing out the capabilities of a familiar razor but was talking this ferrari on a test drive well under it's capabilities. I need to practice and get used to the weight and handling. I like to hold a razor up high where the knurling is gone so holding lower. Wow what a performer, I am impressed after one shave.

Congrats on your first shave with this great razor------Enjoy it

Every time I shave with the streamline I am amazed by the shave. To me there are 2 kinds off BBS---The one I sometimes get with The OCMM or an autostrop and the one I ALWAYS get with the streamline.
Plus it seems to stay BBS longer.(that might be in my mind).--I especially love the streamline if I haven't shaved the day before.(which is hard for me to skip a day shaving)--I've said it before and I'll say it again---The streamline is the best razor ever made

2nd shave was fantastic I am sold, this is my daily razor now. I will search around but curious to know what blade people like the best. I am using the carbon but will try to get some staineless as the drying maintainence is a negative.

Oh and if you can believe it I won my third SL razor in about a week or so for $59.00 a single in a nice bakelite case. Forgot I even bid on it days ago. .....Sweeeet. I plan on cornering the market:001_cool:

2nd shave was fantastic I am sold, this is my daily razor now. I will search around but curious to know what blade people like the best. I am using the carbon but will try to get some staineless as the drying maintainence is a negative.

Oh and if you can believe it I won my third SL razor in about a week or so for $59.00 a single in a nice bakelite case. Forgot I even bid on it days ago. .....Sweeeet. I plan on cornering the market:001_cool:

Congrats on finding such a great razor. Funny, I ended up with two complete sets one right after another after looking for something like a year and not finding anything. Strange how that seems to happen.

I appear to have just bought a Gem Jewel by accident, and am wondering what to do with it!
I bought a few razors as a lot, entirely for the Gillette popular in there (unsure of the exact model) but it also came with a tech, a rolls and a gem.
When it arrived i tried to work out what it was, and it appears identical to the streamlines in this thread, except it says Gem on it. So I assume this makes it the elusive Jewel.
It came in the purple lined metal box (which actually says ever ready on it rather than gem).
The razor is in mint condition, hefty and shiny!

my quandry is this - do I keep it or sell it?
I've never used an SE before, and given the difficulty of sourcing blades in NZ for one I'm not all that inspired to try it. I also have the small difficulty of telling my wife i could offset the cost of the popular by flicking off the others.
but after reading the comments in this thread i'm tempted to give it a try!

I'll post some photos of it when I get a chance...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, wait just a while before posting for sale, I'm sure it would go quickly on our BST if the price is right .. or send me your address & I'll gladly post a couple SE blades Down Under

You could instantly sell it for (most likely) a nice profit over your entire purchase or you could learn the ways of the SE and enjoy ridiculously awesome shaves!

I just purchased a streamline and it's damn near perfect. I would keep it.

Here are a few photos of my Gem, am I right in thinking it's a jewel?

Attachments

• $IMG_4766.jpg
    $IMG_4766.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 165
  • $IMG_4768.jpg
    $IMG_4768.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 166
  • $IMG_4770.jpg
    $IMG_4770.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 165
  • $IMG_4771.jpg
    $IMG_4771.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 162
Just got my Ted Pellas from Razor blades and more , David Mendoza sent my blades super fast too. Tomorrow out comes the Stream liner.

Is the Streamline significantly better than the more common variants of ER 1912 e.g the one with the ornate handle (of which I have 2) and why?

Well, wait just a while before posting for sale, I'm sure it would go quickly on our BST if the price is right .. or send me your address & I'll gladly post a couple SE blades Down Under

Thanks for the kind offer, but the game has been given away by the PMs arriving in my email inbox offering to buy it! So I've now been strongly 'encouraged' by my wife to part with it quicksmart (to the point of pushing me out the door this morning to go the post office to get postage quotes!)

I guess its my own silly fault for bragging about my find!

Thanks for the kind offer, but the game has been given away by the PMs arriving in my email inbox offering to buy it! So I've now been strongly 'encouraged' by my wife to part with it quicksmart (to the point of pushing me out the door this morning to go the post office to get postage quotes!)

I guess its my own silly fault for bragging about my find!

How do you plan to sell it for those of us who would be happy to provide it with a loving home - mine is full of brothers and cousins for him to play with, by the way :)

Is the Streamline significantly better than the more common variants of ER 1912 e.g the one with the ornate handle (of which I have 2) and why?

I have a pristine gem 1912 that I think was never used, it has the ornate chain link handle prob 1920ish and it shaves nice but the streamline is heavier, the handle grips a bit better and feels nicer than the lighter 1912. You can just tell quality when you hold it. I certainly am not the most experienced as others as I have under 20 shaves with the SL but the razor is just more more capable. By capable I mean an easy pass is a closer shave than the 1912 and if you really get aggressive you can get a close shave without tearing up your face. Maybe it is the blade angle and depth and grip that makes the difference and the way each person naturally holds a razor but there is something special about it. There are not many of them in the US. I am getting them out of the UK mostly. The new version is not that rare as this thread might indicate, perhaps clean full sets but the older model is very elusive and I am wondering if the shave is different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom