• Kindle
  • Books
  • NYT Crossword
  • Phone
  • Pens
  • Notebook
  • Phone

Generally, my EDC is as follows:
-knife (Kershaw link at work, Case sow belly when off)
-keys
-cigarette lighter
-wallet
-Police ID and badge
-I have a handgun and spare magazine most of the time. Not always but most of the time.
-I wear a watch 24/7 never considered it EDC but I guess it is
-most of the time I'll have a fountain pen stuck somewhere

Flashlights are very popular, but I rarely carry one unless I'm on duty (then always). I do keep one in my truck though.

Generally:
traditional folding knife (maybe plus a small one if I have a fifth pocket)
watch
handkerchief

Out of the house and yard, add:
wallet
one or more of the many sets of keys
I look for reasons to leave my phone behind, but it becomes more and more parasitic

Working or playing in the woods or skiing, it is slightly different. Delete the pocket knife, add a multi-tool. Now that I've met a guy on the ski lift packing a six-pack bandolier, I'm thinking there are more EDC flasks out there than I ever imagined.

My EDC in pockets/on belt:
1)Leatherman Surge with a sharpie and a flashlight in the Leatherman pouch.
2)Fountain pen, typically a Lamy as they are robust and reasonably priced.
3)A knife... or three...
4)Firesteel, like Exotac.
5)Keys
6)Wallet
7)Phone

In my Chrome Industries Citizen Bag
8)tool kit - prybar, knife torx, diamond sharpener, tweezers, magnifier
9)notebook
10)bag organizer panel
11)first aid kit with CAT tourniquet

From front left pocket moving clockwise to left rear . . .

Cell phone.
Car key, gym key, work fob on a carabiner.
SAK Fieldmaster, House key, sister's house key on a Keysmart, 50 cent piece, money clip.
Victorinox Soldier's Knife (on belt).
Ridge wallet holding plastics.

Very apropos thread for me right now. While I’ve always kept a pocket knife handy - in my car, desk drawer, etc., I usually only keep one on me when I know I’ll need it shortly. But I got caught empty handed several times in short succession - “hey, does anyone have a knife on them?”, “Er, out in my car” - so I’ve started slipping a knife in my pocket each morning.

Here’s the problem: I hate having crap in my pockets. (Honestly I can’t even stand wearing a watch).

It’s only gotten worse as cell phones get bigger and car keys are now required to have those stupid brick-sized fobs and computerized heads. Walking around - or sitting - with every pocket bulging with hard, bulky objects is just plain annoying.

The first thing I do when I get to work or get home after work, is empty my pockets. Wallet, keys, comb, phone, knife have to go. If I’m out somewhere, I leave everything in the car that I don’t absolutely need.

Honestly, if it was socially acceptable for men to carry purses, I’d probably go that route. Maybe if I called it a bushcraft satchel or bug-out bag?

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To follow that ^^^

Here's my usual cheap nylon bag and typical contents. (Apologies for poor pic)

20230310_223223.jpg

Change of specs
Ear plugs
Spare shoelaces
Hair bobbles and safety pin
Hanky and tissues
Magnifier
Hand gel
Torch and multitool
Notebook and pen

I might have some vape gear in there too, including a bottle of juice, and spare battery. Maybe a few basic first aid items, depending how far I am straying from home.

I prefer to keep wallet, phone and keys on my person, so I can still get home in case I get separated from the bag. The keys have a couple of tools on too, plus there's a back up pen in the wallet. Nothing valuable, tactical, or apocalyptic. Just a few simple things to make life easier.

So many options for bags... If I'm doing the office thing my bag is a Chrome Industries Citizen Messenger, with a Level 3A insert... LOL...and tool kit, first aid kit, soil tester, large 18500 light, +++

Seriously looking at a Chrome Industries Tensile Hip pack for smaller carry when I'm not on business as it were

So my wallet and a pocket comb are left on my dresser each evening and go into my pockets as soon as I put on pants on the morning. I rarely spend any length of time in either a bathrobe or even sweats - I get up and barring a delay to shower, I am almost immediately dressed in clothing that is suitable for wearing outdoors. I then make a choice of house key, either a key by itself (the usual most days) or a key on a ring with the car fob if I think I will be driving the car that day. Then add my personal cell phone to a pocket and a smart watch to my wrist and I am done. I don’t think of my wedding ring as EDC since it is already on my hand when I get up - it only comes off when I am lifting weights for exercise as tightly grabbing a knurled steel bar with it on is not good either for the ring or for my ring finger.

I don’t actually have an EDC knife, but in my house knives and pens are liberally scattered about, so I can usually grab one of either by walking just a few steps.

Top Bottom