What's new

EDC pocket knife - Automatic or Assisted Opening?

I'm glad to see a side-slide from them finally! It handles soooo much better.
The Dirac is "razor-sharp" and cuts very well. It is one of the darned few double-edge blades I'll carry because you can actually use the knife. (It isn't just a "pretty face"). ;)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Another nice thing about Benchmade is their service. If you don't mind being without the knife send it in to them and they will sharpen it, oil it, and clean it for free.

Does anyone have much experience with GiantMouse knives?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Another nice thing about Benchmade is their service. If you don't mind being without the knife send it in to them and they will sharpen it, oil it, and clean it for free.

Never heard of ‘em. But they are sold out on a lot of knives so I guess that’s a good thing. Maybe.

Anso/Voxnaes outfit, the knives are built buy one of the Maniagio based Italian manufacturers but I’m not positive which one they use. Good designs and materials but you will also pay for their names. All in all a bit too rich for me.

If you like the looks there is also Fox, MkM, Viper, Lionsteel etc.

Benchmade’s axis-lock is great for. I have a couple of knives from their assisted Barrage line. They’re not a typical carry for me, but are great for yard work or hiking or farting around (I guess)..

I agree with most here. I have a couple autos and assisted open knives and none are better than a good manual. I prefer Spyderco and carry their flipper knives. They open easy and fast. I prefer the spyde hole to a stud and an added flipper is even better. The springs in autos, assisted open, and axis locks are a weak point IMHO.

I would stick with the Osborne...it is an excellent knife.

You could also try an Emerson Knife. With practice they come out of your pocket open and ready to use. Kershaw makes some cheaper Emerson knives. They are good value for the price.

Emerson is a nice flipper. They have the "wave" function that catches on your pocket and opens it as you draw. It works.
I also have a Ravencrest out the front and I like that as well, though sometimes the spring pulls the blade if you're cutting something tough. More reason to keep it sharp.

Automatic's scare me! I've read too many stories of auto's that have accidentally opened. Because of that I've never bought one. Assisted open is my preference as I see it safer and just as fast!

I’ve always liked switchblades ‘cause I thought they were cool. I even owned a Brad Duncan double action briefly, but it was just a bit too large for me. These days I’m perfectly content with a flipper.
Jack

Knife knut here... Lol have a good collection of ones from the usual brands, benchmade, spyderco, Kershaw, zero tolerance. Assisted or Spyder hole, or thumbstud or flipper or auto... All about as fast, those that rely on moving parts will fail with use and abuse. I carry a knife from the time I get up until the time I get into bed. No benefit from auto or assisted except for fun factor.
My fastest to use is a small pocket fixed blade, some of the many custom makers are producing some exceptional fixed blades in handy 2-3" blade sizes that fit in a pocket, pull it out and it's ready to use. 😉😁

Automatic's scare me! I've read too many stories of auto's that have accidentally opened. Because of that I've never bought one. Assisted open is my preference as I see it safer and just as fast!
I think I need to update my post because of a recent purchase. I've bought my first auto knife and it's incredible!
I saw it in a video review and had to try it out. Kershaw Launch 13!
Made in the USA
Anodized aluminum handle
CPM154 Wharncliffe blade (3.5")
Push button release
Incredibly light (2.4 oz.), ergonomic, sharp and looks like nothing else out there:

full

full

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think I need to update my post because of a recent purchase. I've bought my first auto knife and it's incredible!
I saw it in a video review and had to try it out. Kershaw Launch 13!
Made in the USA
Anodized aluminum handle
CPM154 Wharncliffe blade (3.5")
Push button release
Incredibly light (2.4 oz.), ergonomic, sharp and looks like nothing else out there:

full

full
Lol, you have the right to change your mind my friend! I was about to ask if it was light, then I noticed you typed 2.4 oz! Amazing!

Lol, you have the right to change your mind my friend! I was about to ask if it was light, then I noticed you typed 2.4 oz! Amazing!
Light is an understatement for this knife. Melts away in your pocket as if it wasn't there. But it feels incredibly solid.
It takes some getting used to though. The action on it is very strong which means you have to have a tight grip when you press the release. I can see it flying out of someone's hand if they don't do this upon opening.
But it's pretty remarkable!

Last edited:
I'm leaning a lot towards the assisted open now.

I am in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Right down the road a few miles from Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

I have a couple of these autos. I bought them for the obvious reason. Both are still in their boxes, unopened. So, I can't really comment on them any further.

proxy.php

You can get them from BladeHQ, they are on limited availability. You can get notified by email or text when thd next drop will happen. Hint, act immediately!

Boker Dessert Warrior Kalashnikov Dagger Automatic Knife (3.25" Blue) Donut

Description:

"Once upon a time, our buyers contacted Boker and ordered some Kalashnikov"Desert Warrior" knives. Somewhere along the chain of communication, the spelling got an extra "s" and ended up on the desk of a designer. The result: The Dessert Warrior. And you know what? We're not complaining!

Have you ever been unfortunate enough to have to share a donut? Your plight only gets worse when you find you have to cover your high-speed, low-drag, modified, custom, mirror-edged piece of pocket jewelry in sticky sweetness. What you need is a knife designed from the ground up to go to war with a donut. And although its path to existence was unorthodox, the Dessert Warrior is here! This automatic will snap open before anyone can take more than their half of the donut. The handle is bright pink with sprinkles, and the blade has a candy blue finish, making the knife blend in with the pretty pastries of the shop. Gone are the days of not having the right tool for the job!"

They are only $54.95. For most people, automatic knives are not necessary in this day and age.

This one is a conversation piece. As our EDC saying goes, it is not a knife that will incite terror in the lunchroom.

Wandering around S.M.K.W. one day, I came across this assisted opening Kershaw Leek.

proxy.php

I really liked its looks with its stainless steel stone washed finish. I liked its slim frame lock profile and its warrancliff blade, in Sandavik 14C28N steel.

Being slim it takes very little space in the pocket. It has both a flipper and dual thumb studs. The assisted opening is lightning fast.

That's where the fun ends! There is no knurling. This knife is extremely difficult to securely grip..

The problem is not the opening on an automatic or assisted opening knife like this. It is the effort required to close the knife back up!

After cutting my finger more than once, I took the knife apart and removed the opening strut. The knife is far better behaved now.

I have Spyderco's and other knives that ride on phosphor-bronze washers that open so quickly, they look to most others like it is some type of automatic knife.

But, if you want an easy opening knife, go with a flipper that rides on bearings.

You don't even have to spend a lot of money to get one.

proxy.php

This Boker is only $35.95 from BladeHQ.

Boker Magnum Miyu Chiisai Knife Black G10 (3.25" Satin) 01SC061

It is a flipper and has bearings. It is a very solidly built knife. The deployment with the flipper is lightning fast!

But, it is a liner lock and once you release the blade it will fall back shut on its own, guided by gravity.

I am in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Right down the road a few miles from Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

I have a couple of these autos. I bought them for the obvious reason. Both are still in their boxes, unopened. So, I can't really comment on them any further.

proxy.php

You can get them from BladeHQ, they are on limited availability. You can get notified by email or text when thd next drop will happen. Hint, act immediately!

Boker Dessert Warrior Kalashnikov Dagger Automatic Knife (3.25" Blue) Donut

Description:

"Once upon a time, our buyers contacted Boker and ordered some Kalashnikov"Desert Warrior" knives. Somewhere along the chain of communication, the spelling got an extra "s" and ended up on the desk of a designer. The result: The Dessert Warrior. And you know what? We're not complaining!

Have you ever been unfortunate enough to have to share a donut? Your plight only gets worse when you find you have to cover your high-speed, low-drag, modified, custom, mirror-edged piece of pocket jewelry in sticky sweetness. What you need is a knife designed from the ground up to go to war with a donut. And although its path to existence was unorthodox, the Dessert Warrior is here! This automatic will snap open before anyone can take more than their half of the donut. The handle is bright pink with sprinkles, and the blade has a candy blue finish, making the knife blend in with the pretty pastries of the shop. Gone are the days of not having the right tool for the job!"

They are only $54.95. For most people, automatic knives are not necessary in this day and age.

This one is a conversation piece. As our EDC saying goes, it is not a knife that will incite terror in the lunchroom.

Wandering around S.M.K.W. one day, I came across this assisted opening Kershaw Leek.

proxy.php

I really liked its looks with its stainless steel stone washed finish. I liked its slim frame lock profile and its warrancliff blade, in Sandavik 14C28N steel.

Being slim it takes very little space in the pocket. It has both a flipper and dual thumb studs. The assisted opening is lightning fast.

That's where the fun ends! There is no knurling. This knife is extremely difficult to securely grip..

The problem is not the opening on an automatic or assisted opening knife like this. It is the effort required to close the knife back up!

After cutting my finger more than once, I took the knife apart and removed the opening strut. The knife is far better behaved now.

I have Spyderco's and other knives that ride on phosphor-bronze washers that open so quickly, they look to most others like it is some type of automatic knife.

But, if you want an easy opening knife, go with a flipper that rides on bearings.

You don't even have to spend a lot of money to get one.

proxy.php

This Boker is only $35.95 from BladeHQ.

Boker Magnum Miyu Chiisai Knife Black G10 (3.25" Satin) 01SC061

It is a flipper and has bearings. It is a very solidly built knife. The deployment with the flipper is lightning fast!

But, it is a liner lock and once you release the blade it will fall back shut on its own, guided by gravity.
I have the same Kershaw Leek with assist. No problems closing it. Love the finish and the two tone blade.

I have the same Kershaw Leek with assist. No problems closing it. Love the finish and the two tone blade.

Between being thin and having no texture on the frame. It is difficult to securely hold the Leek in my hand. I am holding it now and it is slippery.

I would be fine with it, if there was a texture on the handle.

After purchasing it, I was reading some reviews. Nick Shabazz referred to it as "dangerous", I agree!

With knives today, I see no particular reason to have an assisted opening mechanism?

Between being thin and having no texture on the frame. It is difficult to securely hold the Leek in my hand. I am holding it now and it is slippery.

I would be fine with it, if there was a texture on the handle.

After purchasing it, I was reading some reviews. Nick Shabazz referred to it as "dangerous", I agree!

With knives today, I see no particular reason to have an assisted opening mechanism?
I don't disagree that there is no "reason" for assisted opening. The "reason" I was attracted to it is what I believe most folks like about it, that is the smoothness of the use of the mechanism. This is, of course of no additional value if I'm opening a package or cutting some twine.

As to it's danger, I have the clip on it reversed so there's plenty of texture to grip, but I agree if you tried to stab someone, you'd cut your fingers, though to be fair that's likely true for just about any knife without a dedicated guard.

Top Bottom