What's new

The Codger Cabin

There are some fantastic films from the 30s that I'd recommend, especially My Man Godfrey (probably my favorite from this period), Chaplin's Modern Times, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The 39 Steps (Hitchcock), M (often listed as Fritz Lang's M, it's in German with subtitles but worth the effort), The Lady Vanishes (Hitchcock again), John Ford's Stagecoach, Mr. Deeds goes to Town, Gunga Din. This list could go on and on but these are some of my favorites.
My Man Godfrey is a good example of the verbal fireworks H'wood was capable of in the first decade of the talkies. Stagecoach was based on a Western short story by Ernest Haycox; 39 Steps on the Richard Hannay thriller by John Buchan, the 1910s and -20s forerunner to Ian Fleming; etc. The heads of the big studios in those days may not have known how to craft a solid and entertaining story themselves, but they knew to hire people who did.

I've seen some of those. Stagecoach is a great one. I've seen old movies in passing. If I'm looking for something to watch, I'll cruise through them and see if anything catches my eye. I think in the coming days and weeks, I'll be searching that era.

My preferences seem to skip that/ those decades of early talkies. Buster Keaton is still in my mind one of the most fascinating actors to watch ever. And then the WWII era and a little beyond, say between WWII and Elvis. I grew up with John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Erroll Flynn (best Robin Hood to date!), Bogey and Bacall (who I much preferred in The Shootist than Casablanca).

These actors here, I'm not familiar with them or their work at all. I think it's time to change that.

Some Half & Half for my Friday afternoon smoke in the new baby Savinelli. As I look back over my posts in the last 3 months, I see that after purchasing the first pouch of H & H, I apparently have smoked it more than any other blend I've bought -- in fact H & H was the first re-purchase I've done. I've begun to get real flavors out of it (unlike any of the other codgers, good as they are), and without bite or throat dryness. And I like the pouch colors -- like the Italian flag.

Last edited:
I've seen some of those. Stagecoach is a great one. I've seen old movies in passing. If I'm looking for something to watch, I'll cruise through them and see if anything catches my eye. I think in the coming days and weeks, I'll be searching that era.

My preferences seem to skip that/ those decades of early talkies. Buster Keaton is still in my mind one of the most fascinating actors to watch ever. And then the WWII era and a little beyond, say between WWII and Elvis. I grew up with John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Erroll Flynn (best Robin Hood to date!), Bogey and Bacall (who I much preferred in The Shootist than Casablanca).

These actors here, I'm not familiar with them or their work at all. I think it's time to change that.
These actors were not the A-list stars like Stewart or Fonda or Gable or Grant. McHugh, Holt, Victor McLaglen were the talented solid character actors who backed up the stars. (McLaglen I think had known top billing in a few films like The Informer, though.) Mr. and Mrs. Moviegoer might remember their names, might not. They'd say to themselves, "Oh, that's Cagney's buddy from Roaring Twenties." It would give them a pleasant zing of recognition to see them in the tobacco ads. Almost like seeing an old acquaintance, and taking his recommendation for a good pipe tobacco. At least that might have been the ad agency's idea!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Ozzie Nelson’s future neighbor lights one up …

35-6.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

35-5.2.jpg

I was inspired to watch Erroll Flynn in Robin Hood last night. Getting my mind, and Mrs. Rookie, ready for the golden age of film. The Golden Age, which ironically is the black & white age. Anyone who knows people who play paintball or airsoft, I'd recommend that film. It's all small group ambush tactics with a love story and adventure thrown into the mix.

Hey...you're RIGHT! That's Ozzie's friend "Joe Randolph" isn't it....?!!

He was all over TV in my youth. I especially liked his turns on Green Acres; in one he played an actor who had gone into politics, a gibe at Ronald Reagan and George Murphy. In another, he played the state's governor who raises taxes so high that Hooterville blows up the bridge over Simpson's Swamp and secedes from the state.

And somehow he got hoodwinked into appearing in Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-6.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Bette Davis’ favorite leading man enjoys a smoke …

35-8.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-7.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-9.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

This poor guy would later be pals with Tallulah Bankhead on a lifeboat. Have a second bowl, pal …

35-10.1.jpg

Henry Hull played the first screen werewolf in 1935's Werewolf of London. The story floated around for years that he objected to the original, full-face werewolf makeup (the style used on Lon Chaney Jr. years later) because it obscured his features -- which made him sound egocentric. The truth is that, like a lot of early screen actors, he had come from the stage, and was one to read the entire script. There's a scene in the film where one of the other characters recognizes Henry's scientist while he is in wolf-man form. Hull argued that the guy could hardly do that if the transformation completely covered Hull's face!

HIs argument won out, and resulted in the "partial" and very effective wolf-man visage we see.

Henry Hull was all over the place in the 40s and 50s, usually playing the same type of role and always finding a way to stand out without chewing the scenery.

There's an anecdote regarding Alfred Hitchcock and Tallulah Bankhead on the Lifeboat set that decorum prevents me from repeating, but it's just the sort of thing you'd expect if you know anything at all about Tallulah Bankhead.

Top Bottom