What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Another New Jersey pipe smoker writes in. Or as those from surrounding states call them, "from Jersey".

35-2.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

A gentle reminder from Mrs. Columbo … Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 9.

47-5-5.3.jpg

Telegrams: the original email!

The guy with the pipe looks like the actor who played Andy Hardy's father in the movie series, Lewis Stone. A generic resemblance, but then the reading public would no doubt make the subliminal connection. And she looks something like Spring Byington.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Mother's day falling on May 11 pegs this as appearing either in 1930 or 1941. Style seems more like 1930.

1947. I have another one that advertises May 9. But I thought this one nicer.

There are so many now in queue, we can save the other one for next year.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-2.3.jpg

Get it together, Fred!

I have found a pair of hounds in my neighborhood react differently when walking by based on whether or not I'm smoking a pipe. I guess cigarettes are a familiar smell and not worth noticing. But my pipe tobaccos are new and must be investigated (in case it's a new attempt to smuggle peanut butter). It goes from a passing glance to the start wandering over. So maybe there's something to that ad?

Get it together, Fred!

I have found a pair of hounds in my neighborhood react differently when walking by based on whether or not I'm smoking a pipe. I guess cigarettes are a familiar smell and not worth noticing. But my pipe tobaccos are new and must be investigated (in case it's a new attempt to smuggle peanut butter). It goes from a passing glance to the start wandering over. So maybe there's something to that ad?

I hope your pipe doesn't smell like what attracts my dog's sniffer the most on our walks....just sayin'...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-3.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-4.1.jpg

Frank McHugh was a reliable player in a *lot* of films during the studio era. Mainly I remember his appearance in The Roaring Twenties with Cagney and Bogart. Recently, too, I caught his guest appearance on a 1968 or '69 episode of the Western Lancer, his last IMDb credit in a 40-year career.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-4.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-4.3.jpg

I'm going to have to start looking at movies from this era.
They are from a time when Hollywood not only knew how to tell stories that appealed to audiences, all audiences, they had the sense to hire playwrights, novelists, and short story writers (Macarthur & Hecht, Philip Barry, Faulkner, Chandler, Cain, Brackett, et al.) to adapt their own stuff and to write new scripts. In the early days of talkies, the Thirties, movie scripts also displayed dialogue pyrotechnics that are hard to find today. See the sparkles between Rosalind Russell and Cary Grant in HIs Girl Friday, for instance. British films of the Thirties to the Fifties are worth your time too.

And you'll see lots of pipe smokers.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-5.1.jpg

I'm going to have to start looking at movies from this era.
There are some fantastic films from the 30s that I'd recommend, especially My Man Godfrey (probably my favorite from this period), Chaplin's Modern Times, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The 39 Steps (Hitchcock), M (often listed as Fritz Lang's M, it's in German with subtitles but worth the effort), The Lady Vanishes (Hitchcock again), John Ford's Stagecoach, Mr. Deeds goes to Town, Gunga Din. This list could go on and on but these are some of my favorites.

Top Bottom