What's new

The Codger Cabin

Lee Tracy took a turn at playing Martin Kane, Private Eye on radio and TV. Some of the early TV episodes are on Youtube and they're quite a hoot. The show was broadcast live, so if someone bumped into the scenery there were no re-takes or edits. The TV show was sponsored by United States Tobacco Company and featured one or two integrated commercials per episode, where the case would be discussed in the local tobacco shop while the proprietor extolled the virtues of Model, Old Briar, or Sano cigarettes. Kane lit a pipe in the title scene and kept it going just about all the way through the show.

TV screens in the early 50s were tiny by our standards, so the show is presented almost entirely in close-up, and all the action takes place indoors.
I thought it was Lloyd Nolan who played Martin Kane. Or did he replace Tracy, or the other way around?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

34-9.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

34-9.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

34-9.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

SATURDAY BONUS!

We're going to formally meet Half & Half a little later, with the usual opening introductions.

But here is a special color one, posted out of order, from 1927, that we didn't get into queue in time.

1927 H&H Color Splash.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

The future “Red Will” Danaher. And the I.R.A. is not in on this one, either.

34-10.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Continuing with this evening's fighter theme ...

34-10.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Note the comment in this one about Edgeworth workers competing over the aged vacuum-packed tins.

34-10.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Before there was Rambo, before there was Charles Bronson, before there was John Wayne, before there was Clark Gable ... there was Jack Holt. The original ‘rugged man’ actor, this guy really was a rugged man. This guy killed horses doing his own stunts. And he liked fine tobacco.

34-11.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

34-11.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

34-11.3.jpg

Nolan is the most famous Kane, but Lee Tracy and William Gargan also portrayed him.

I got sucked into viewing the episodes that are up on Youtube, waiting for an actor to muff a line or miss their mark or knock over some scenery, and it strikes me that it didn't really matter who played Martin Kane - the star of the show was Happy the tobacconist. The show was basically one big integrated commercial with a murder thrown in just to break up the monotony. The cameraman may sometimes not be aimed at the right actor, but he sure manages to zoom in on Kane sticking his schnoz into a pouch, filling his pipe, and demonstrating how the foil is to be re-sealed.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I got sucked into viewing the episodes that are up on Youtube, waiting for an actor to muff a line or miss their mark or knock over some scenery, and it strikes me that it didn't really matter who played Martin Kane - the star of the show was Happy the tobacconist. The show was basically one big integrated commercial with a murder thrown in just to break up the monotony. The cameraman may sometimes not be aimed at the right actor, but he sure manages to zoom in on Kane sticking his schnoz into a pouch, filling his pipe, and demonstrating how the foil is to be re-sealed.
Glad to hear it! Living like the old guys did. Not as much polish, but plenty of spit. There’s a lot to recommend it!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

This one falls into “The More Things Change ...” folder.

34-11.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-1.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Anyone who knows James Cagney knows this guy. Like ham and eggs.

35-2.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
He's better known now for playing priests, but I'm sure he played cops on numerous occasions. The pic in the ad very much has the vibe of "You're under arrest for the murder of Martin Skolkovsky. Stebbins, cuff him and load him in the squad car."

"It's Father Duffy, boys! Can you hear me! ... "

He was to Jimmy Cagney what Ward Bond was to John Wayne.

Top Bottom