What's new

The Codger Cabin

This morning's smoke was some Carter Hall in a small no-name bent apple. I like the taste and aroma of CH very much. However, I've noticed on my last couple of smokes with it that, unlike Half & Half and other codgers I've tried, it tends to require a couple of extra relights. Is it merely that I need to dry it a little more before loading the pipe?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This morning's smoke was some Carter Hall in a small no-name bent apple. I like the taste and aroma of CH very much. However, I've noticed on my last couple of smokes with it that, unlike Half & Half and other codgers I've tried, it tends to require a couple of extra relights. Is it merely that I need to dry it a little more before loading the pipe?
That would work.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

36-1.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

36-1.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

36-2.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Another great codger favorite finally debuts at the coffee table (an earlier 1927 color ad notwithstanding), and one that has always had a devoted following. It is one of the older blends, with a slightly different taste from the other classics. In these mid-1930s ads, its blender aligns this venerable old blend to its cigarette stable mate. This is a blend that never stops associating itself with cigarettes, as the coffee table reveals by the later 1960s. Say hello to Half and Half.

Later on, we’ll find out what “patent No. 1,770,920” of the “exclusive modern process” was. It may surprise some. No spoilers please!

36-2.4.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Another great codger favorite finally debuts at the coffee table (an earlier 1927 color ad notwithstanding), and one that has always had a devoted following. It is one of the older blends, with a slightly different taste from the other classics. In these mid-1930s ads, its blender aligns this venerable old blend to its cigarette stable mate. This is a blend that never stops associating itself with cigarettes, as the coffee table reveals by the later 1960s. Say hello to Half and Half.

Later on, we’ll find out what “patent No. 1,770,920” of the “exclusive modern process” was. It may surprise some. No spoilers please!

View attachment 1268594
This was my father’s staple blend. If he ever smoked anything else, I never saw it. He was a deeply devoted Kaywoodie and Half and Half smoker. Consequently, I always have a can of this uniquely flavored blend on hand. It is a scent I grew up with and I intend to keep the flame burning.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Ol’ Judge Robbins. A regular feature of Prince Albert ads for a number of years, the shrewd Judge will share with us all sorts of interesting facts, including the “Wonders of America” ... and that he is not an Orlik smoker.

36-3.1.jpg

View attachment 1268594
It does indeed taste differently from the other codgers I've tried, Carter Hall, Granger, SWR. It's listed as having "coriander, cardamom, and maze" (which I think refers to "mace," not "maize," but maybe there is some corn in there). Funny, but in the 4 months since I've been smoking again, H & H is the only tobacco that I've reordered. The initial pouch I bought, while not empty, is about half gone. And I don't want to run out.

Ol’ Judge Robbins. A regular feature of Prince Albert ads for a number of years, the shrewd Judge will share with us all sorts of interesting facts, including the “Wonders of America” ... and that he is not an Orlik smoker.
Wait, there's war pipes? Dear kids, for Father's Day...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

36-4.1.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

View attachment 1269181
Every since I saw a documentary about some guys that went down the whole Mississippi from the headwaters to the Gulf I’ve wanted to do the float trip. Now I know what to take. It may be hard find enough PA right now though. Think the match would do?

Top Bottom