What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

35-9.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

35-10.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-10.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Yes, that’s a gas mask ...

35-10.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Yes, more gas masks ...

35-11.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Boston Blackie smoked Union Leader.

35-12.1.jpg

I would not have recognized Chester Morris if the ad had not given his name. I know he was famous for playing the lead in the Boston Blackie movie series, but that's about all I know.

I would not have recognized Chester Morris if the ad had not given his name. I know he was famous for playing the lead in the Boston Blackie movie series, but that's about all I know.

He played Blackie on radio also. He had a successful career on Broadway both before, during, and after his film career.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

35-12.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

One brand has been conspicuously missing from the coffee table up to now. I don’t really know why. Perhaps it was my selection of sources. Perhaps it was the price. This brand never sold itself on price. It certainly was at every tobacco and news stand back in the day. Its pedigree goes back before 1910 with several of the other big classics. As smoking blends go, it’s an institution, familiar in every family’s history. Everyone knows, knew or grew up around someone who smoked this. The familiar big red pocket tin. Two full ounces of “joy”.

But whatever the reason, what was America’s favorite pipe tobacco now finally makes its debut on the coffee table. And never looks back. Going forward, this brand graces more print media — and their expensive full-page Christmas edition back covers — than any other pipe blend on the coffee table. Rightfully so. It was an excellent all-day smoke, even if it did sometimes cost a little more than some others.

Originally one of the ‘big two’ of tobacco giant R.J. Reynolds (the other being Camel cigarettes), this legendary brand is today in unprecedented transition. Its current owner, Altria, recently discontinued production, pending a rumored sale to STG. Dedicated pipers hold hope, and horde remaining stocks.

Say hello to what was America’s Favorite Smoking Tobacco, the “National Joy Smoke”, Prince Albert.

36-1.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just a programming note that your erstwhile guide has to go to hospital tomorrow. Nothing life-threatening, but I may not be getting any more posts in for a couple days (hopefully back sooner). Until then, happy puffs to you all.

Plenty of great stuff coming up when I get back home.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just a programming note that your erstwhile guide has to go to hospital tomorrow. Nothing life-threatening, but I may not be getting any more posts in for a couple days (hopefully back sooner). Until then, happy puffs to you all.

Hope everything goes well and that you have a speedy recovery. I’ll add you to the prayer list.

All three of the guys in the Prince Albert ad are smoking straight pipes. There is something of an unapologetic, "Yeah, I smoke a pipe, what's it to you?" attitude to a straight. Maybe the art director composed the ad with the same idea in the back of his mind.

Beyond that, two of the men are dressed in a more casual-for-those-times, maybe working-class style, while the third is dressed like a young banker. No doubt the idea was that anybody could afford and appreciate Prince Albert, not just the well-to-do and not just the working class guys.

The fellow in the middle has a sort of Robert Vaughn vibe to him. Maybe it's the eyebrows, and the FDR-style grin.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Will be thinking of you 🙂

Top Bottom