What's new

THE Cartridge Razor Thread

47. Pics of what? Us or the razors?

Hi,

I read that as pics of *us*...as in us using the carts....

You, know, humorously. :)

Stan

Edit: I could post a pic of my funky M3. It is stock Gillette, but the black rubbery plastic got all gooey so I removed *all* the plastic and now it looks like a part off the Terminator....

Last edited:
I'm 32. I'm actually curious if age does play a part here. My first razor was Mach 3. Before DE, I tried most of the available systems. That includes Fusion, Hydro, Dorco, and Harry's among others.

I've said it before, but I got into DE and injectors just to try something different. I never got bad shaves out of carts, except for perhaps a few disposables. So perhaps I'm a bit different than the average B&B member in that I wasn't looking to solve any cart woes.

The majority of my shaves these days are with my DE, and am currently enjoying a Spoiler blade this week. But I like having the cart option available. Sometimes it's just because I want to move faster and grab a quick shave in the shower. Other times I use it just to switch things up. I like trying new things.

Hi,

I think age does play some part as to just which shaver we use. I started by my Dad, with a Gillette Tech DE, which was too aggressive for me at 15. I switched to a Blue Tip someone gave me to try and used that for a while until I went back to that Tech. As I age, those whiskers become ever tougher. At age 18, I was given my Grandfather's 1921 Old Type Thin Cap, and I could not use it. It was a cheese grater. Now, I can use it. And my other Grandfather's Straight, which I never used until about 10 years ago.

Now, early on there was a Trac-II. As I recall it, too, was too much. Next, I recall an Atra showing up, and it was OK but I think I was into a Red Tip SuperSpeed at that point. Then, a Sensor showed up and later, a Mach-III. Just when I moved from the Red Tip to a NEW, I cannot recall. But I think a Fusion showed up about that same time. I have two M3 handles and a few carts on hand, that being what I picked once the TSA came along. I have not had to carry-on a razor since 2008, though, so I have no idea how it compares to the Fasan Double Slant DE I use most days now....

Somewhere in all that time were a Gem SE and a Stick Schick injector. I have no idea where they are right now. I have been looking as I wish to revisit at least the Schick. And, IIRC, there are a couple straights in the same box.....

Stan

Has anyone used this 5 blade razor?

proxy.php

Yep, I mentioned it earlier, but I think it got lost with the other unrelated discussions.

That King of Shaves razor is okay, but the pivot is terrible. Because of the rubber used, it just keeps bending backwards, and you can't really get good pressure against your face with it. It really annoyed me. Also, don't drop it. The mechanism that holds the blade breaks very easily. The blades themselves are either made by Kai or are made using their technology. They also have a new KOS model that you can compare with its counterpart from Kai.

Just curious. What age are you guys, that still enjoy using Cartridge razors??? Please, no pics.

I spent more of my life shaving with a DE razor. Either a Fat Boy or a Black Beauty Slim. I bought them new when they were current.

After starting to participate here I tried to go back, but the results were disastrous. Daily nicks and frequent razor burn, and I get a closer shave from cartridges. I'm not wasting any more time with DE.

To answer your question, I'm 71.

I started this thread for those who use cart razors so that they can talk about their experiences and compare notes with other cartridge users.

It does not matter which cubby hole it is placed in, participate in the thread and enjoy yourselves

All this thread has seemed to do is to keep the whining, bickering, and nitpicking going.

I am sure if there ever is a cart forum added that it will be pulled when all that goes on in it is whining, bickering, and complaining.

Get a life folks and enjoy this thread which is why it was started.

If you cannot participate without causing friction and discord I suggest you find another forum to spend your time on where you can irritate their members

As long as you have us satisfied cartridge users posting adjacent to those that use other systems and continue to feel they are superior to all others, there will be bickering, most started by the non cartridge users.

If you really want to cut down on the bickering, put cartridges in its own sub forum.

The pole was a stupid idea. It just gives the non cartridge users another opportunity to dig.

I know this post will not make me popular, but I'm just telling it like it is.

For those of you, who answered my age question, in a mature manner, and without having an attitude, I appreciate it.
It seems the ones who answered are seasoned shavers.
Thanks, shave on.

I'll never be without a cartridge razor. As mentioned, they're a must for air travel. I still pull out my Sensor from time to time as well when rushed for time.

I use a cheap disposable cartridge from the dollar store to trim the hairs on my neck.

And my ears.

Getting old isn't easy. I'm two score and six years old.

Yes, I used one last night. I haven't used it much since bought it. It worked fine, especially considering it's been so long since I used it. I expect a few shaves to get used to the off flexing system would improve the results.

I don't anticipate using it much more though. King of Shaves and Remington apparently had some kind of falling out, and the replacement carts aren't readily available anymore. Too bad about that.

The part about Remington and KOS is true. Since that time though, KOS has created their own marketing arrangements and you can pick up some of their stuff at the likes of Target and drugstore.com.

I bought one of the King of Shaves multi-blade systems but I've never tried it. I went through most of the Gillettes beginning way back with the one where the blades are in a ribbon that you advance with turning a handle. IMHO the Fusion is not a bad razor at all but I've not tried the new Flex Ball. The reason I like cartridges is they are almost foolproof and I'm a klutz.

Last edited:
Just curious. What age are you guys, that still enjoy using Cartridge razors??? Please, no pics.

Child of the 60's. Here,

I don't use carts much but I have nothing against them. I used an ATRA and a Sensor for years.
I collect Gillette so I have most of them (even the flex ball...cased, NIB and unused). (Lol)

Top Bottom