What's new

THE Cartridge Razor Thread

Never heard of the Fusion? It's got another blade on the back. It's double sided. So's the Schick Hydro and the aforementioned Personna. I can understand why the Personna wouldn't really matter, but The Fusion's the best selling razor in the world, so I think that's pretty significant.

The Schick actually doesn't have a back-side blade. The Hydro 5 lube strip pushes back to let the blades get into a tighter space, but still has less maneuverability than the Fusions single back blade.

The Schick Quattro Titanium is the only razor in the Schick line I can think of that has a back trimmer blade. DSC (Dorco) 6 blade also has a model that contains a trimmer blade, as well as the previously mentioned Personna carts.

@turtle - That King of Shaves razor is okay, but the pivot is terrible. Because of the rubber used, it just keeps bending backwards, and you can't really get good pressure against your face with it. It really annoyed me. Also, don't drop it. The mechanism that holds the blade breaks very easily. The blades themselves are either made by Kai or are made using their technology. They also have a new KOS model that you can compare with its counterpart from Kai.

Single edge razors are razors that have a blade edge on one side of the head as opposed to a double edge that has a blade edge on both sides of the head

A razor with multiple single edge blades is still single edge.

I've not seen a multi blade razor that has edges on more than one edge/side of the head.

Please think in terms of the average forum user, especially a newbie. I would have never imagined to find cartridges where you put them. If intended or not, the topic has been effectively hidden.

Please think in terms of the average forum user, especially a newbie. I would have never imagined to find cartridges where you put them. If intended or not, the topic has been effectively hidden.

This. Especially as the sub-forum SE falls under the heading of "Safety Razors", which a cartridge razor is not. Until we were informed in a different thread that cartridge based threads belong in this sub-forum, I would have felt that here would be an inappropriate place to discuss cartridges. I imagine many users will still be unaware and think this way.

And here all this time I've thought that a single edge razor would be a razor with a single [shaving] edge.

Silly me. :blink:

--Bob

Hi,

Then where would the later model Injector razors go? They all could take the doubled-up, as in two-cutting-edge, injector blades. The ones with the II in their names, including the Gillette Trac-II based injector blades.

I have a handle for the Personna Double II still. No four-bladed DE carts for it, though. It really wasn't any different than any of the early carts: Gillette, Schick or Personna. Just a marketing fill-in to entice older DE users to carts, I suppose.

I was fortunate enough that I always received free handles and a cart for every new thing when they came out. I think it was due to our being a racing family and having a subscription to Competition Press (now called Auto Week). I liked the Mach-III the best. At least that is the one I chose for flight carry-on.

Stan

Edit: come to think on it, I have yet to receive my free Fusion Ball thingy. Darn!! :p

Last edited:
This. Especially as the sub-forum SE falls under the heading of "Safety Razors", which a cartridge razor is not. Until we were informed in a different thread that cartridge based threads belong in this sub-forum, I would have felt that here would be an inappropriate place to discuss cartridges. I imagine many users will still be unaware and think this way.

Hi,

Um, keep in mind that safety, when applied to razors, refers to blade guard parts which serve to limit the blade's cutting depth. A Not Safety Razor is a Straight, or any of those other types that us a disposable blade in an unguarded manner. So, carts are most decidedly safety razors.

And, even the TSA says carts are Safety. But, our SE, DE and Injectors are Unsafe....

And, most carts have all or most of their blade edges on one side, so this forum make for about as best a fit as we have.

And, there isn't a lot of love for carts here, so I don't think we will see a Cart Forum any time soon. Even though carts lend themselves to lathering up for wet shaving. ;)

Stan

Um, keep in mind that safety, when applied to razors, refers to blade guard parts which serve to limit the blade's cutting depth. An Not Safety Razor is a Straight, or any of those other types that us a disposable blade in an unguarded manner. So, carts are most decidedly safety razors.

My apologies! You learn something new every day. Many thanks for correcting me!

TPL

Hi,

Well, I don't know about 'enjoy'. The M3 is 'ok' as in it cuts to CCS if I go ahead and use hot water, a brush, some shaving soap, and face lather. I would prefer a Tech, which is my non-flying-commercial travel razor. But, the TSA has other ideas when flying commercially. ;)

I am 54, been shaving since 76, and always wet shaving, even with those freebie cart units. The razors used over the years have varied. DE, SE, and sometimes even a Straight. I have DE and Straight razors from my Dad and both Grandfathers, so those are always the most enjoyable. :)

These days #1 is a DE, a Fasan Double Slant which offers Differential Aggressiveness. One side milder than the other. I use the mild side WTG and the aggressive side ATG for a nice, easy DFS just about every day.

But Ye New Cart (M3) remains and has its place....

Stan

You can nitpick over semantics all you like. Putting the cartridge razor threads in the SE forum is Just Wrong.

I guess this means that I can look forward to seeing the "Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology" showing up in the SE SOTD thread. :tongue_sm

--Bob

Just curious. What age are you guys, that still enjoy using Cartridge razors??? Please, no pics.

I'm 32. I'm actually curious if age does play a part here. My first razor was Mach 3. Before DE, I tried most of the available systems. That includes Fusion, Hydro, Dorco, and Harry's among others.

I've said it before, but I got into DE and injectors just to try something different. I never got bad shaves out of carts, except for perhaps a few disposables. So perhaps I'm a bit different than the average B&B member in that I wasn't looking to solve any cart woes.

The majority of my shaves these days are with my DE, and am currently enjoying a Spoiler blade this week. But I like having the cart option available. Sometimes it's just because I want to move faster and grab a quick shave in the shower. Other times I use it just to switch things up. I like trying new things.

I started this thread for those who use cart razors so that they can talk about their experiences and compare notes with other cartridge users.

It does not matter which cubby hole it is placed in, participate in the thread and enjoy yourselves

All this thread has seemed to do is to keep the whining, bickering, and nitpicking going.

I am sure if there ever is a cart forum added that it will be pulled when all that goes on in it is whining, bickering, and complaining.

Get a life folks and enjoy this thread which is why it was started.

If you cannot participate without causing friction and discord I suggest you find another forum to spend your time on where you can irritate their members

Hi,

Well, I don't wish to nitpick, but the main purpose of the entire site is Wet Shaving. I take that to mean soap, water and brush. The razor type is immaterial. I see where using a Fusion Flex Ball and Cart is as appropriate as using a 1700s Straight Razor and everything sharp in between. Actually, talking about Wet Shaving with Carts is more appropriate than chatting about cooking, tobacco, shooting and all the other things around the site.

So, maybe the only good point is Carts are not Single Edge, and ought to have their own forum. That would be nice, actually. Then, there could be individual fora for each brand and style of Cart. :)

Of course, there will be a Canned Goo thread pop up there eventually, and we can then all nitpick if Goo is Wet or Dry.... :p

In the meantime, I think this thread is fine where it is until a need is seen for a full cart forum....

Stan

I started this thread for those who use cart razors so that they can talk about their experiences and compare notes with other cartridge users.

It does not matter which cubby hole it is placed in, participate in the thread and enjoy yourselves

All this thread has seemed to do is to keep the whining, bickering, and nitpicking going.

I am sure if there ever is a cart forum added that it will be pulled when all that goes on in it is whining, bickering, and complaining.

Get a life folks and enjoy this thread which is why it was started.

If you cannot participate without causing friction and discord I suggest you find another forum to spend your time on where you can irritate their members

What whining, bickering, and nitpicking are you referring to other than the few people asking why this thread is in the SE section? It seems the vast majority of the posts have been quite civil, unless you've had to delete some posts.

I'm 32. I'm actually curious if age does play a part here. My first razor was Mach 3. Before DE, I tried most of the available systems. That includes Fusion, Hydro, Dorco, and Harry's among others.

I've said it before, but I got into DE and injectors just to try something different. I never got bad shaves out of carts, except for perhaps a few disposables. So perhaps I'm a bit different than the average B&B member in that I wasn't looking to solve any cart woes.

The majority of my shaves these days are with my DE, and am currently enjoying a Spoiler blade this week. But I like having the cart option available. Sometimes it's just because I want to move faster and grab a quick shave in the shower. Other times I use it just to switch things up. I like trying new things.

Just curious. I didn't know if prior experiences with "other than cartridges" influences the decisions.

You can nitpick over semantics all you like. Putting the cartridge razor threads in the SE forum is Just Wrong.

I guess this means that I can look forward to seeing the "Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology" showing up in the SE SOTD thread. :tongue_sm

--Bob
Why not? Combined with a good soap, a beautiful brush, and a classy aftershave? I bet the pics will look cool!

The last cart I used was some 5 bladed contraption the wife bought for me. She use the ladies version on her legs and thought I would just love it too and got me a mens version to try.

Meh.......decent enough shave but nothing to write home about. I'll stick with my "antiques" as she refers to them.

I do use Gillette Good News razors for traveling and touch-up work but I always considered them a disposable not a cart. But I quess they'd qualify as a single-edge too.

Top Bottom