What's new

The B&B's First Ever- LE Fountain Pen *****Update Post #1 And # 360

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
:w00t:I'm in!!!

Well I did hold back kinda sorta, knowing that the B&B group buys that I've joined in the past have provided great value. I believe that this is again very much the case.

I hope this lays out the case clearly. In my case I would like to share my joy in having completed all requirements to achieve my professional designation as a CMA. No this is not to be confused with Country Music Association, it is Certified Management Accountant. This is a Canadian designation similar to the US CPA (Car Park Attendant?). So at 51 years of age having gone back to school, I am a newly minted CMA (convocation in October) with 30 years of experience in accounting.

I feel like a kid as I was gifted with a congratulations cheque from my mother in law. I will be proud to show her the Edison 2011 Limited Edition pen as what I chose to mark the occasion of this achievement. Ma in law sends a note to my wife every couple of weeks or so. She has handwriting that is from a time when it was taught as a very serious subject . . . and clearly she was at the top of her class.

I am so looking forward to mid November. Thank you Jim, Brian(s), and all others involved in this project.

Mike

Well I did hold back kinda sorta, knowing that the B&B group buys that I've joined in the past have provided great value. I believe that this is again very much the case.

I hope this lays out the case clearly. In my case I would like to share my joy in having completed all requirements to achieve my professional designation as a CMA. No this is not to be confused with Country Music Association, it is Certified Management Accountant. This is a Canadian designation similar to the US CPA (Car Park Attendant?). So at 51 years of age having gone back to school, I am a newly minted CMA (convocation in October) with 30 years of experience in accounting.

I feel like a kid as I was gifted with a congratulations cheque from my mother in law. I will be proud to show her the Edison 2011 Limited Edition pen as what I chose to mark the occasion of this achievement. Ma in law sends a note to my wife every couple of weeks or so. She has handwriting that is from a time when it was taught as a very serious subject . . . and clearly she was at the top of her class.

I am so looking forward to mid November. Thank you Jim, Brian(s), and all others involved in this project.

Mike

Congratulations Mike!

Mike

Congrats on the CMA! Best of luck to you.

Mike

I am sure I am not the first to offer... BUT CONGRATULATIONS !!! That is quite a ACHIEVEMENT..... and the pen is really a great thing to mark it my !!!!!!

Thought I'd jump in here with a few thoughts....

1. Ebonite in general....
Ebonite has been used as a pen material since the beginning. Before modern acrylics were used, it was ebonite, which actually is a vulcanized rubber. It will have a sulfuric smell that will go away with time. Personally, I like the smell. It's part the experience. Ebonite feels warmer, perhaps more "organic" than acrylics. Durability is no problem at all. One thing that is worth mentioning is exposure to UV rays. If an ebonite pen sees prolonged exposure to sunlight or UV rays, it can fade. I wouldn't recommend taking this pen to the beach. If you are walking around outside, perhaps don't have the pen in your shirt pocket, where the finial will see sunlight. If you are on the run with this pen, maybe have a case for it. On your desk, perhaps make sure that the sunlight will not hit a spot on your desk during the day where the pen will be.

Now I don't want to scare people....the pen is not a vampire that will disintegrate if it sees sunlight. There are vintage ebonite pens from pre-depression that are still in mint condition.

Just use common sense, and the finish will outlive all of us.

2. Switching nibs.
Switching to a different nib after the sale, or buying an extra nib will be no problem. The nibs unscrew. You can contact me after the sale.

3. Switching clips
Some people are preferring rhodium rather than gold. I'm unsure about offering this option. The spirit of a Limited Edition pen is that they are all identical in every way, except the number designating which pen of the series, and the tip size of the nib. The pen cannot be offered with a choice at the sale. Whether or not a rhodium clip can be exchanged out aftermarket will need to be decided. Technically, a Limited Edition should not have this offering. They are all to be the same. When you buy into a Limited Edition, you are trusting the penmaker that you, along with everyone else who bought the pen is getting identical pens with no extras, no add-ons, and no features that others are not also receiving.

Not only that, but the engraving will be infilled in gold. I might look odd to have a gold infilled engraving with a mismatched rhodium clip.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Congratulations, Mike! It's good to know that the car parks of Canada will be better attended in future, and that after November, the payment receipts will be better written. :wink2:

I too wish to congratulate you on quite an achievement!!!

Tom

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Congratulations, Mike! It's good to know that the car parks of Canada will be better attended in future, and that after November, the payment receipts will be better written. :wink2:

Ha thanks Doc. Just give me the keys . . . I'm sure I'll remember where I put it when you get back.

Guess the tune. . .

I told doc I could start today
He said Mike I've something to say
if you work for peanuts it will be fine
but is it already past 11 pm Vancouver time

Doc 4 I can park your car
I will not park it very far
Maybe I'm a parking star
and Doc I think that does it.
Beep beep'm beep beep yeah

Brian - Thanks for all of the information on the pen. Have complete faith in your design and I'm really looking forward to the pen.

+1. i held out for a good 48 hours before pulling the trigger...that has to count for a few points from swmbo.

If it helps any I have a green UK Parker Duofold and the gold looks perfect.
The gold will get a nice patina over time that should look just dandy.
(dandy?.. eh whatever)

Two or three months ago, I decided that I didn't need any more pens. I had purchased enough for a long while. Then the FPN LE pen came along and I said "OK, there's room for one more." I was finished buying pens again. Now we get a B&B pen out of the blue and it's from a pen maker whom I've always heard the highest praise about. Ok, I guess I have room for ONE MORE, but this time it's really the last one!

Oh, and the same went for the B&B ink. I decided that I didn't need any more ink, as I have enough to last years. Of course, the ink purchase came around and I reversed my position quite quickly. All within such a short period of "The Nib" subforum opening up, too.

Man, I'm really torn between the fine and medium. Maybe someone can help put something in perspective for me. My Phileas med is almost too broad for me. My Pelikan 200 medium is, to my eyes, a bit narrower. My fines are a P51 and a Reform 1745. I have Lamy fine and extra fine, but to be honest, they've been replaced with 1.1 and 1.5 Italics. I've looked at the Goulet video and am still torn. Any more input is still appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

Edit: After looking a the Goulet comparison again, I'm going with the medium.

Oh yeah, and I'M IN !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Brian, thanks for the info on the ebonite! If you need any help in your shop to push this out faster, let me know!
BTW, I emailed you earlier in the week asking about regrinding my Hudson nib to a stub... Because of the purchase of this pen, I am going to wait on that(or my wife will probably throw me out of the house)!

Ha thanks Doc. Just give me the keys . . . I'm sure I'll remember where I put it when you get back.

Guess the tune. . .

I told doc I could start today
He said Mike I've something to say
if you work for peanuts it will be fine
but is it already past 11 pm Vancouver time

Doc 4 I can park your car
I will not park it very far
Maybe I'm a parking star
and Doc I think that does it.

Baby you can drive my car......... and you as well.....

Top Bottom