What's new

The all inclusive list of shaving myths

Sorry fellas but I have to respectfully disagree with #4 , specifically the cost of using Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridges. Prices vary but I EASILY get 40 shaves from one cartridge. I have a full, heavy beard and I shave every other day. Two passes gets me a BBS.

I pick up a 4 pack of cartridges once a year for a approximately $18 total.

In my honest and humble opinion, the cartridge vs razor debate is a wash.

I believe this only qualifies you as an "outlier". If everyone could easily get 40 shaves from a Fusion, this site wouldn't exist. :biggrin1:

I believe this only qualifies you as an "outlier". If everyone could easily get 40 shaves from a Fusion, this site wouldn't exist. :biggrin1:

Gillette claims that you get a month worth of shaves with the Fusion. I disagree: I get at least 40. I kid you not.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sorry fellas but I have to respectfully disagree with #4 , specifically the cost of using Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridges. Prices vary but I EASILY get 40 shaves from one cartridge. I have a full, heavy beard and I shave every other day. Two passes gets me a BBS.

I pick up a 4 pack of cartridges once a year for a approximately $18 total.

In my honest and humble opinion, the cartridge vs razor debate is a wash.

You are free to believe whatever you wish to.
Once again, I'll point out that these are my observations and are geared towards the average Joe.

Gillette claims that you get a month worth of shaves with the Fusion. I disagree: I get at least 40. I kid you not.
Then you would most likely be a member of the Excalibur Club here that can get 40+ shaves out of a Feather.
360/40 = 9 blades = $2.10-3.60 per year depending on your source.

This seems to have drifted a bit, but honestly I retrurned to a DE, not for cost (ok, just a little), but for shave quality and because I couldn't get the carts to come clean short of using a high pressure air hose. Carts were hell on my neck. At best, I could get 2-3 weeks of daily shaving off a Mach 3 before I knew it was heading south and in hindsight I tolerated a lot of pulling that I won't anymore.

I drifted down the SR rabbit hole because it was fun and a bit geeky.

Then you would most likely be a member of the Excalibur Club here that can get 40+ shaves out of a Feather.
360/40 = 9 blades = $2.10-3.60 per year depending on your source.

I tried DE shaving 3 months with a variety of blades. I would change the blade every 5 shaves. I may have gotten 2 BBS shaves and 95% of all shaves had weepers & irritation. That's why I went back to my old reliable Fusion ProGlide.

I get three shaves with a fusion before it starts pulling. I get five out of a .23 GSB. That's what made me change.

This seems to have drifted a bit, but honestly I retrurned to a DE, not for cost (ok, just a little), but for shave quality and because I couldn't get the carts to come clean short of using a high pressure air hose. Carts were hell on my neck. At best, I could get 2-3 weeks of daily shaving off a Mach 3 before I knew it was heading south and in hindsight I tolerated a lot of pulling that I won't anymore.

I drifted down the SR rabbit hole because it was fun and a bit geeky.
:lol:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm enjoying this a great deal, Phil. The only significant disagreement I have is the way you presented your first myth, i.e., "The Tech is a beginner razor." You ought to edit it to be "The Tech is merely a beginner razor," since that's actually what you are debunking.

I just hate to see anyone get all confused about the actual message, but no biggie, man. :thumbup1:

Great thread, and while I may not agree with all your choices of myths to bust (Techs are great for novices and seasoned pros and the To Hang or Not To Hang conundrum), there is much to glean from each instalment. The "chattering" razor and pre-oil are ones I'd like to be addressed. I have opinions on both but would like to get the straight poop. Debunk away.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
One of the myths I heard was that wetshaving was supposed to save me money. After 6 different razors, 6 different brushes, atleast 13 different soaps and creams, and an unhealthy obsession with aftershave I don't believe I have saved any money, but I do enjoy shaving tremendously now. :w00t:

Think of all the money you've saved buying cool much needed accouterments for your shaving den!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The price for DE blades and cartridges bottoms out at around ten cents each. So, no, neither is really much cheaper. The low end is pretty much the same for both.

Cartridges are fine if you like them. For me they are like Monsanto's GMOs they have been engineered then shoved down our throats as the only viable product readily available, and like GMOs they don't increase yield as they claim (in Mansanto's case they claim higher yield per ear of corn). I don't think GMO's are necessarily a bad thing either, but the marketing strategy of forcing it down peoples throats sucks. Thank God for the internet making choice once again available cartridges are no longer the only game in town!

4. Our method of shaving is NOT cheaper.

False. Ok, we've all heard it "This traditional way of shaving will save you money." Which is immediately followed by vast quantities of money being spent on shaving related items, thus seemingly debunking the idea that it is cheaper. Right?

Wrong!

This method IS cheaper.

Let's use DE shaving for an example.

Average quality, average priced razor blades = $ 0.13 each
http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Doub...-2&keywords=personna+double+edge+razor+blades
One year cost - $ 6.76 (based on 1 week of shaves per blade)

Average quality, average priced soap = $ 10.00
http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavi...8&qid=1448654326&sr=8-4&keywords=shaving+soap
One year cost - $ 20.00 (A dedicated test of a tub of Proraso, shaving daily, lasted me 1 year)

Average quality, average price Razor = $ 33.00
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-...448654412&sr=1-3&keywords=merkur+safety+razor
One year cost $ 33.00

Average quality, average price brush - $ 40.00
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065-B...=1448654594&sr=8-15&keywords=omega+boar+brush
One year cost - $40.00

I'm leaving aftershave off the list, as it would be used in any blade type shaving system.

Total outlay for one year - $ 99.76 (which includes the razor and brush which is good for many more years).

Gillette Pro-glide razor - $ 12.47 (with 2 carts)
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Prog...8-5&keywords=gillette+fusion+razor+with+blade
One year cost - $ 12.47

Fusion blades - $ 33.14
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+fusion+blades+refill
One year cost - $ 66.28 (based on 2 weeks of shaves per cart)

Barbasol Shaving Cream - $ 5.97
http://www.amazon.com/Barbasol-Orig...48655241&sr=8-1&keywords=barbasol+shave+cream
One year cost - $ 23.88 (I used one can every 3 months while cart shaving)

Total outlay for one year - $ 102.63 (which includes the razor which is good for many more years).

One year shows a winner in DE shaving by a small margin. $ 99.76 for DE and $ 102.63 for cart.

BUT...

The biggest cost difference is blades with $ 66.28 for carts and $ 6.76 for DE blades for one year.
After the initial outlay of equipment, the cost per year after the first year, the difference is significant.

The reason so many people think that shaving our way is NOT cheaper is because we
Buy more and more razors looking for that perfect BBS shave every single morning. Rotation anyone?
Buy that East Himalayan High Mountain White Silver Water Badger brush with unobtanium handle for the equivalent cost of the GDP of a small country.
Keep buying the latest soap from the latest manufacturer even though we already have a 15 year supply on the counter.

It's not the system we use that is expensive here fellas. It's being in constant communication with a large group of like minded fellows who are all enablers.

If no one enabled anyone no one will have SAD, RAD, or BAD. Then there will not be as many reviews. enabling is important, for all the great reviews! But it is true the Disordered does make it more expensive. But hey that's why we have restraints we can try to do too!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If no one enabled anyone no one will have SAD, RAD, or BAD. Then there will not be as many reviews. enabling is important, for all the great reviews! But it is true the Disordered does make it more expensive. But hey that's why we have restraints we can try to do too!

I so love all the money I'm saving buying cool stuff! I got some good cheap boar brushes I've saved money on by not only colleceting badger, some more boar brushes on the way, a nice super badger, and a soon to have homemade one of a kind from a dude in Italy (Panta Rei Silvertip). I'm saving money and treating myself to something unique all at once...and they are products that hold up while holding to my minimalist principles by only having three razors (one is a back up for my go to and the third for travel)! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom