What's new

The all inclusive list of shaving myths

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here are a few that I've seen come up recently that might be fun to explore:

Blooming your soap will make it less effective over time.
There is no difference between blooming a soap and using a wetter brush.
There is no need to soak badger brushes, as they trap all the water they can in 10 seconds.

I just might hit those, though "blooming" is a fairly recent phenomenon borrowed from the Barista world.

Here are a few that I've seen come up recently that might be fun to explore:

Blooming your soap will make it less effective over time.
There is no difference between blooming a soap and using a wetter brush.
There is no need to soak badger brushes, as they trap all the water they can in 10 seconds.
Good one

A shave brush "lifts the hairs" so it's easier to cut. While I can't prove this empirically, I find it difficult to believe. If you shave daily, and get a good close smooth shave, I don't see how that hair, that is now maybe .01" long is going to lift up at all.

Like you, I don't have any proof, but I doubt that it is possible for a brush to change the direction of even a weeks growth, much less "lift" hairs. Thanks for mentioning this one.

Like you, I don't have any proof, but I doubt that it is possible for a brush to change the direction of even a weeks growth, much less "lift" hairs. Thanks for mentioning this one.
It can exfoliate, but im sure it can't change hair growth pattern.

I too would like to know your opinion on blade "chatter". I've never experienced this myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. NEWs, Old Types, Techs, Super Speeds, ASD2, FaTip Grandes, Merkurs. Feathers, Derbys, Astras, Sharks, Rapiras, Merkurs, Polsilvers. It just hasn't happened.

you know i started shaving with safty razors a few months ago i have loved the exp. i started with a flaretip moved to a slim. then i saw a ebay auction for a older from the 40tys tech with a black plastic handle. this has been my go to razor out of all my collection. i just bought me another tech fat handle tech i belive from ebay that looked very nice. sorry if anyone on these forums was biding on this razor i kind of wanted it and someone tried to outbid me the last 30 secs. so i probally paid to much but i love my tech so i think i will love this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Vinta...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thank you very much for this great thread.

I agree you with on the points, This should be in it's own sub thread or pointed out to new members as highly- suggested reading.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great read, and thanks! :001_cool:

+1 Brush soaking? (as long as it takes for sink to fill works 100% with all types IMO).

Corking?

Textured bowl vs. smooth; proof? (now THAT would be a good one).

AA

I too would like to know your opinion on blade "chatter". I've never experienced this myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. NEWs, Old Types, Techs, Super Speeds, ASD2, FaTip Grandes, Merkurs. Feathers, Derbys, Astras, Sharks, Rapiras, Merkurs, Polsilvers. It just hasn't happened.

I hear great chatter on my razorock (cadet) tto, but that's cause the blade is just hanging out there like a DEvette. It'd be my razor of choice if I had to cut down trees with a razor. The blade will flex and sing, but to a much lesser extent on any of my other razors (super speed, tech, new type, old type, feather popular).

Awesome thread. I read & agreed with all especially about the costs & savings.

If you taking shaving as a daily chore, then costs is a serious consideration. However, if you are experiencing & enjoying life, then be expected to pay a little more.

How much more? That will depend on individual.

I started on Wet Shaving recently. I am enjoying this new phase of my life that I never had during my olden days with electrical/cartridge.

I also spend on buying razor from Feather, iKon, ATT etc. I had to wait for Wolfman to clear his backlog before I can lay my hand on this much sort after piece.

I started on Parker Badger Brush costing less than $50. Now, I am hunting for silvertip from Da Vinci, Tather, Shavemac etc. Especially for natural material handles such as wood & horn.

Am I spending more? Yes.

Am I enjoying it? Yes.

Life is Short, so Enjoy it while you can & if you afford it.

That's my humble opinion.

4. Our method of shaving is NOT cheaper.

False. Ok, we've all heard it "This traditional way of shaving will save you money." Which is immediately followed by vast quantities of money being spent on shaving related items, thus seemingly debunking the idea that it is cheaper. Right?

Wrong!

This method IS cheaper.

Let's use DE shaving for an example.

Average quality, average priced razor blades = $ 0.13 each
http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Doub...-2&keywords=personna+double+edge+razor+blades
One year cost - $ 6.76 (based on 1 week of shaves per blade)

Average quality, average priced soap = $ 10.00
http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavi...8&qid=1448654326&sr=8-4&keywords=shaving+soap
One year cost - $ 20.00 (A dedicated test of a tub of Proraso, shaving daily, lasted me 1 year)

Average quality, average price Razor = $ 33.00
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-...448654412&sr=1-3&keywords=merkur+safety+razor
One year cost $ 33.00

Average quality, average price brush - $ 40.00
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065-B...=1448654594&sr=8-15&keywords=omega+boar+brush
One year cost - $40.00

I'm leaving aftershave off the list, as it would be used in any blade type shaving system.

Total outlay for one year - $ 99.76 (which includes the razor and brush which is good for many more years).

Gillette Pro-glide razor - $ 12.47 (with 2 carts)
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Prog...8-5&keywords=gillette+fusion+razor+with+blade
One year cost - $ 12.47

Fusion blades - $ 33.14
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+fusion+blades+refill
One year cost - $ 66.28 (based on 2 weeks of shaves per cart)

Barbasol Shaving Cream - $ 5.97
http://www.amazon.com/Barbasol-Orig...48655241&sr=8-1&keywords=barbasol+shave+cream
One year cost - $ 23.88 (I used one can every 3 months while cart shaving)

Total outlay for one year - $ 102.63 (which includes the razor which is good for many more years).

One year shows a winner in DE shaving by a small margin. $ 99.76 for DE and $ 102.63 for cart.

BUT...

The biggest cost difference is blades with $ 66.28 for carts and $ 6.76 for DE blades for one year.
After the initial outlay of equipment, the cost per year after the first year, the difference is significant.

The reason so many people think that shaving our way is NOT cheaper is because we
Buy more and more razors looking for that perfect BBS shave every single morning. Rotation anyone?
Buy that East Himalayan High Mountain White Silver Water Badger brush with unobtanium handle for the equivalent cost of the GDP of a small country.
Keep buying the latest soap from the latest manufacturer even though we already have a 15 year supply on the counter.

It's not the system we use that is expensive here fellas. It's being in constant communication with a large group of like minded fellows who are all enablers.

I had to laugh when you said we buy the latest soap even though we have a 15 year supply. I'm 51 years old. If I stopped buying new stuff today, I often wonder if I'll live long enough to use up all my shaving supplies.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
$5.97 for a can of Barbasol? Yeah, sounds legit.
Well, if you're going there...you can get a Omega 10065 a lot cheaper than $40. I think the premise still holds that traditional wetshaving is much less expensive than cart shaving, AD's aside.

I'm not sure about "chatter" but my razor does make a sound going over me skin.

Well, if you're going there...you can get a Omega 10065 a lot cheaper than $40. I think the premise still holds that traditional wetshaving is much less expensive than cart shaving, AD's aside.
The price for DE blades and cartridges bottoms out at around ten cents each. So, no, neither is really much cheaper. The low end is pretty much the same for both.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The price for DE blades and cartridges bottoms out at around ten cents each. So, no, neither is really much cheaper. The low end is pretty much the same for both.

Thanks for your opinion. It's been duly noted in the archives.

$deadhorse.gif

Last edited:
Sorry fellas but I have to respectfully disagree with #4 , specifically the cost of using Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridges. Prices vary but I EASILY get 40 shaves from one cartridge. I have a full, heavy beard and I shave every other day. Two passes gets me a BBS.

I pick up a 4 pack of cartridges once a year for a approximately $18 total.

In my honest and humble opinion, the cartridge vs razor debate is a wash.

Top Bottom