What's new

Thats it!

i am in the same boat ...i did everything ...followed all the intructions..the stones the balsa the lot and still not satisfied with the results it shaved better than i got it before...but still no ding...it just wont go sharp enough it just scrapes sometimes jumps...sigh im in the same
Mind frame
As frank de is giving me a better shave so far its a little depressing when you plop almost a grand and your results are crap 😔

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
i am in the same boat ...i did everything ...followed all the intructions..the stones the balsa the lot and still not satisfied with the results it shaved better than i got it before...but still no ding...it just wont go sharp enough it just scrapes sometimes jumps...sigh im in the same
Mind frame
As frank de is giving me a better shave so far its a little depressing when you plop almost a grand and your results are crap 😔
Did you shave with it before you went to the pasted balsa strops? An edge needs to be shaving well before you start on the pasted balsa strops. The pasted balsa strops only improve a good edge, they do not make a bad edge better.

If a blade does not shave well before the pasted balsa strops, you will need to go back and start again - until it does shave well. If it was shaving well before the pasted balsa strops, let us know and we will try and help you.

ok ill start by ...it wont form a decent bur on the edge no matter what i do ...tried swirls...back n forth in short motions... just plain back and forth....waves... soft pressure hard pressure Its always a smooth edge i see in the loupe...ive tried the stock 30x passes ive tried even up to 120 passes still same
Result for me ...i dont bend when i flip i dont bang the side ....i just dont get it its frustrating tbh

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'll get stuck into your problem tomorrow. I have a friend visiting now who needs my undivided attention.

I don't want to downplay the importance of honing and finishing the edge but based on my very limited experience it does seem as if the blade on an SR is a different beast than a blade in a DE, and that learning to "play" the SR is going to take time and patience. My third shave with the DOVO was closer than the first two, and so far I have only honed the razor on leather.

I thought my blade was less than sharp. But it just kept passing "sharps tests". I just kept shaving with it and it keeps getting better. In my instance I believe, twas not a dull blade but the incompetence of the blade weilder. Do not get frustrated. Enjoy the ride. The challenge. The honing of skills. The research. The enjoyment of the actual shave will come lol. In the meantime, maybe grab a DE for a shave or 2. Let the mind and muscles reset. Then grab that SR again.

Not calling you incompetent, just trying to make light. Also for me (ymmv of corse) "not close enough. Blade trying to skip. I KNOW! MORE PRESSURE!" Nope.....Nope.....Wrong. Less presure.

Good luck!

ok ill start by ...it wont form a decent bur on the edge no matter what i do ...tried swirls...back n forth in short motions... just plain back and forth....waves... soft pressure hard pressure Its always a smooth edge i see in the loupe...ive tried the stock 30x passes ive tried even up to 120 passes still same
Result for me ...i dont bend when i flip i dont bang the side ....i just dont get it its frustrating tbh

this might be part of this.

when you do the back and forth during bevel set to create burr.......its advisable to count the repetitions. i do sets of 25 or 50 depending how bad I feel or think the blade is. bottom line.......equal treatment mirror application to both sides.

are you counting the reps for both sides?

camo

this might be part of this.

when you do the back and forth during bevel set to create burr.......its advisable to count the repetitions. i do sets of 25 or 50 depending how bad I feel or think the blade is. bottom line.......equal treatment mirror application to both sides.

are you counting the reps for both sides? just asking in case this isn't obvious.

camo

you wouldn't think this would make that big a difference but it does.

camo

Mind frame
As frank de is giving me a better shave so far its a little depressing when you plop almost a grand and your results are crap [emoji17]

Watch drMatt’s video on YouTube about fixing the geometry of the razor, it’s possible that it’s a little off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
OK @hcoop111, let's look into this.

There are very occasionally some steels that will not produce a bur, no matter how lightly they are honed. The steel grains break off rather than form a bur. You may just have one of them.

Did your edge easily shave arm/leg hair along its full length straight off you bevel setting whetstone? It should.

Another observation that you can make is to see if any light is reflected off the edge (not the bevel) after the bevel is set. For this observation, it is best to use sunlight, incandescent globe nor other daylight/warm light due to the light's wavelength. A properly set bevel will have no reflection anywhere along its edge.

If the edge off bevel set does not easily dry shave arm/leg hair and or there is a reflection off and part of the edge, the bevel is not properly set.

If the bevel is found to be not properly set, then we need to investigate why.

Funny you mention the chips breaking off because i swear i seen some tiny chunks of blade a couple times and i couldnt figure out why

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What are you using to set the bevel?

Does the edge easily shave arm/leg hair along its full length?

Top Bottom