What's new

No more thinking about becoming a barber...I start barber school in January

Hello all, long time. You may or may not recall a few years ago when I inquired about becoming a barber and what everyone thought of it as a career in general. The responses were varied, to say the least. Well, I decided that Im going to pull the trigger on it and start school in January.
So, right now Im working on paying off bills and saving up some money for next year and in November Im quitting my job (my wife makes more than enough money to support us), taking a couple months off to get my mind right and to kind of reset and starting school in January.
Ive come to really realize that Im tired of and quite burnt out on doing factory jobs and Id be much happier as a barber. I mean, I already know how to use a straight razor, already know how to trim a beard and have some experience in cutting my own hair from COVID times; its just a matter of honing those skills, learning how to do shear work and how to do hair styles; along with the book work to pass the exam and learning the personal touch that it takes to be a successful barber.
The barber shop that I go to is right around the corner from my house and the owner told me that on days when Im not in school that I can come in, hang out in the shop with all his barbers and shadow him, plus that he'd have a chair ready for me to rent when I get my licence.
Ive been thinking about this for about 5 years now and have been hesitant to go for it. Part of it was giving up what was safe, comfortable and familiar and part of it was the thought that I wasnt going to make any money. Well, sometimes you just have to be willing to believe in yourself. I know now that if I bet on myself, I can never lose. As far as the money, Ive done some research on it and Im going to at least make what I do now, with the potential to make much more (although money isnt the real issue here). That, along with the freedom to make my own schedule (Im hoping to be able to be booked out 4 days a week and be in demand enough to limit my weeks to only 4 days) and to work more normal hours (getting up at 4am every day has gotten really old).
So, yeah, thats where we are at. Thus far everyone has been really supportive and encouraging and Ive got lots of people cheering for me and who seem willing to help me along the way. Im excited about it and am looking forward to the future.

Congrats! I did the same thing about 3 years ago. Left a 14 year career that left little time with my family to become a barber.

It’s certainly uncomfortable to leave that safe place, but it’s nice to not be tied down to someone else’s schedule.

Also, being able to attend my children’s activities has been great.

Good luck my friend!

So, yeah, thats where we are at. Thus far everyone has been really supportive and encouraging and Ive got lots of people cheering for me and who seem willing to help me along the way. Im excited about it and am looking forward to the future.
So is everybody who has read this thread and commented I am sure!

Excellent decision, wish you all the luck in the world Brother @Badgerstate36 !

That is a great update! You have really thought this through and I am glad you are grabbing the bull by the horns. I offer my most sincere wishes for much love, happiness, and success in your career change.

Well if you rent a chair after school, and psssing state board.

What is income potential? Know one of my step grandson, get his hair cut, every other week.

He pays 35 bucks a haircut, also tips barber.

I have not had pro haircut in many years. I have clippers, dyi my hair.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Congratulations @Badgerstate36 on your decision to change careers. Every barber I have dealt with seems to very much enjoy their chosen profession. Personal happiness and satisfaction in life is more important than financial earnings.

I wish you well and hope that you report back on B&B every month or so telling use what you are learning during your studies.

That is great! Kudos to you. You know that when you gain enough experience you could open a higher end shop in an area where people would pay for the extras. You could use top tier soaps, top aftershave, everything. And...you can sell those soaps and aftershaves, too! I like the sound of this.

Well if you rent a chair after school, and psssing state board.

What is income potential? Know one of my step grandson, get his hair cut, every other week.

He pays 35 bucks a haircut, also tips barber.

I have not had pro haircut in many years. I have clippers, dyi my hair.
It really depends upon where you live and what youre clientele is but $50K-$100K a year is a pretty realistic expectation. If you get a job at something like a Great Clips you might only make $30K a year but they are hourly, so they dont make as much as someone who pays a chair rental.
I mean, do the math: if you are a baber who averages 10 cuts a day and gets $35 per cut, plus a $10 tip; youre making $450 a day before taxes and chair rental.
On the weekends you can probably expect to cut 15 to 20 heads a day, so it can be pretty lucritive if youre good at it and are booked out.
I know that my barber how only works 4 days a week and is a homeowner, single mom to 2 boys, takes care of her parents, dresses well and just bought a brand new Subaru Forester; so she isnt exactly struggling.
Money for me isnt a big concern. My wife makes great money and we live a pretty simple life, so Im more hoping to be able to only work 4 days a week and spend a lot more time playing golf and going to the gym than I do now.

That is great! Kudos to you. You know that when you gain enough experience you could open a higher end shop in an area where people would pay for the extras. You could use top tier soaps, top aftershave, everything. And...you can sell those soaps and aftershaves, too! I like the sound of this.
I could but Im not really planning to do that right now. Theres a lot more stress to being a shop owner. At least for then near future,I just want to show up, cut my clients, have fun at the shop and go home at the end of the day.
Im planning to be all about living a simple, low-stress life.

It really depends upon where you live and what youre clientele is but $50K-$100K a year is a pretty realistic expectation. If you get a job at something like a Great Clips you might only make $30K a year but they are hourly, so they dont make as much as someone who pays a chair rental.
I mean, do the math: if you are a baber who averages 10 cuts a day and gets $35 per cut, plus a $10 tip; youre making $450 a day before taxes and chair rental.
On the weekends you can probably expect to cut 15 to 20 heads a day, so it can be pretty lucritive if youre good at it and are booked out.
I know that my barber how only works 4 days a week and is a homeowner, single mom to 2 boys, takes care of her parents, dresses well and just bought a brand new Subaru Forester; so she isnt exactly struggling.
Money for me isnt a big concern. My wife makes great money and we live a pretty simple life, so Im more hoping to be able to only work 4 days a week and spend a lot more time playing golf and going to the gym than I do now.

Money sound OK, and if you like being self employed it’s a good profession.

Free time is important, but plan on spending time to build clients.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Id be much happier as a barber.

It's either that, or lumberjack.

1687454215964.png

Top Bottom