What's new

Thats it!

I should have added that I just assumed that if the leather and linen strops are no longer working, the next tool is the 12k stone.

Exactly, that's the whole reason for first trying a $20 (carbon steel) Gold Dollar - to understand what people have been experiencing for centuries of shaving with carbon steel. Maybe I am making too big a deal out of putting a drop or two of oil on the blade :). At least this way I will know.

Might wanna do some more research; I'm a newbie too, but the only blades I've ever heard of being maintainable on a strop alone are old fashioned blades with very low abrasion resistance; Iwasaki tamahagane comes to mind. I think this question is better suited to the honing forum where more experienced peeps than me can chime in, but TBH, I think you've got a few assumptions that are steering you wrong

And high carbon steel... :001_tt1:

Best advice i can give is buy both, Then get a square point ,barbers notch and a Spanish point. Don't go any smaller than a 5/8. shave a month with them than start looking at different grinds extra hallow, full, 1/4 ect. throw in a nice frame back and a wedge or two
I made the mistake of buying all round points when i started until i seen a square point so cheap and nice i couldn't pass it up. Turned out they're even easier to shave with, you can put that point right where you need it.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Frank Shaves, we don't know your location. If in the US you can buy a guaranteed shave-ready Gold Dollar on eBay. The last time I looked they were USD 35 plus shipping. I don't think that you will get a truly shave-ready razor for under that price.

For a good cheap dual leather/cotton strop, go to AliExpress. It is reviewed here:

Probably best to order two strops. You WILL fairly quickly cut up at least your first. I went through two before my stropping technique settled down. While on AliExpress, you can also order a set of 7 sheets of varying grade lapping film. The stuff from AliExpress will take time to get to you. While waiting you can get your lapping film substrate prepared.

I strongly recommend that you get together a diamond pasted balsa set. With that and it's proper use, you should never need to hone a razor again once it is truly shave ready. Then no whetstones will be required and you will only need to use your lapping films if you damage a razor or get another that is not truly shave ready. A detailed summary of how to use diamond pasted balsa strops can be found here:

Welcome to the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving.

I just ordered a Gold Dollar P80 with a 6/8" round point blade and ebony wood handle on which I plan to perform many experiments with wild abandon. Perhaps I will even pour massive amounts food-grade mineral oil all over the blade and handle of the P80 :). Bottom line is I don't want to be afraid and handle an expensive razor (like a DOVO Bismarck) with kid(skin) gloves.

@Frank Shaves, we don't know your location...

For a good cheap dual leather/cotton strop, go to AliExpress. It is reviewed here:

I strongly recommend that you get together a diamond pasted balsa set...

Welcome to the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving.

First, I really appreciate your advice and guidance, so thanks for that!

I live in the US and have no experience with AliExpress. I just assumed that AliExpress was primarily used by folks in Asia, but I will definitely check it out the strops on AliExpress.

And finally, it is probably just a matter of time before I make a balsa strop and buy some diamond paste :). My only hesitation is about making the thing flat and the different grades of paste.
  1. Could a Norton flattening stone be used to flatten a balsa strop or is that just overkill or you might gum up the flattening stone? I guess I could just put one or two sheets of newspaper on a glass table.
  2. I have heard/read people say that a 12k stone is the next step after a leather/linen strop. Is diamond paste on a balsa strop the equivalent of a 12k stone?
  3. How many grades of diamond paste would you recommend buying? Based on your post, it sounds like you use the 1.0, 0.5 and 0.1 um. Do you need all three or can you just jump to the 0.1 um?

Hey Frank - here's what I'd advise.

First thing is make sure the razor you purchase is, "shave ready" - which means it's been honed after leaving the factory - a factory edge is not shave ready - I've had some factory edges be close, but nowhere near where they need to be in my opinion.

Next, get 20 shaves under your belt. Speed kills, take your time.

Practice stropping with a butter knife on your strop, again, slow strokes to build up muscle memory. You need to make sure that when you strop your razor your not "folding" the edge with incorrect stropping - you fold the edge, you kill your shave.

In terms of maintaining your razor, personally I'd get a 12k Naniwa and start with learning to, "refresh" your razor, I usually refresh after about 7-15 shaves depending on the razor.

I'd agree, don't "practice" honing on your new Dovo, nice one, one of the first I got many years ago.

In terms of strops - personally I'd go with the Japanese Kanayama 3000 - top of the line strop, I've got several different versions, and they'll last decades.

Enjoy the journey....

SOTD-WBBLBDPINRU30170512.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
First, I really appreciate your advice and guidance, so thanks for that!

I live in the US and have no experience with AliExpress. I just assumed that AliExpress was primarily used by folks in Asia, but I will definitely check it out the strops on AliExpress.

And finally, it is probably just a matter of time before I make a balsa strop and buy some diamond paste :). My only hesitation is about making the thing flat and the different grades of paste.
  1. Could a Norton flattening stone be used to flatten a balsa strop or is that just overkill or you might gum up the flattening stone? I guess I could just put one or two sheets of newspaper on a glass table.
  2. I have heard/read people say that a 12k stone is the next step after a leather/linen strop. Is diamond paste on a balsa strop the equivalent of a 12k stone?
  3. How many grades of diamond paste would you recommend buying? Based on your post, it sounds like you use the 1.0, 0.5 and 0.1 um. Do you need all three or can you just jump to the 0.1 um?
Your concerns are addressed in this post:

I just ordered a cowhide and canvas dual strop made by Grandslam from a very large Internet retailer in the US for about the same price as the strop from AliExpress. The strop claims to be 2.55" wide and 20.4" long. AliExpress would have taken too long to get to the US.

Your concerns are addressed in this post:

Excellent write-up. The table in Appendix B is awesome! I will actually be curious to learn what level of grit I prefer, as I do not like crazy sharp DE blades like Feathers. The sharpest I go is a BIC and I am now really enjoying forgiving blades like the Derby Premium. So who knows, perhaps I will turn out to be a 0.5 micron man.

I can't wait to get some carbon steel on my face for the first time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just ordered a cowhide and canvas dual strop made by Grandslam from a very large Internet retailer in the US for about the same price as the strop from AliExpress. The strop claims to be 2.55" wide and 20.4" long. AliExpress would have taken too long to get to the US.
I hope you ordered the type 1 and not the 2" wide type 2. My very first strop was a type 2 for about USD 4 including delivery from China. The stroppping surface was a suede finish, not to my liking. Suede leather strops are more common in Europe. It's just that I found I preferred smooth leather strops.

Last edited:
Yep, I ordered style (type) 1. I was not able to find the dimensions for style 2 and style 2 appeared to be only leather, not dual leather and canvas.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Excellent write-up. The table in Appendix B is awesome! I will actually be curious to learn what level of grit I prefer, as I do not like crazy sharp DE blades like Feathers. The sharpest I go is a BIC and I am now really enjoying forgiving blades like the Derby Premium. So who knows, perhaps I will turn out to be a 0.5 micron man.

I can't wait to get some carbon steel on my face for the first time.
Of course it varies with each person and their razor(s), but I found 0.5um just acceptable for a shave, 0.25um noticably worse and 0.1um perfect for me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just ordered a Gold Dollar P80 with a 6/8" round point blade and ebony wood handle on which I plan to perform many experiments with wild abandon. Perhaps I will even pour massive amounts food-grade mineral oil all over the blade and handle of the P80 :). Bottom line is I don't want to be afraid and handle an expensive razor (like a DOVO Bismarck) with kid(skin) gloves.
You should have ordered two. Much easier to compare different techniques when you have two identical SR's.

Later you can get another five and make up one of those coveted matching seven-day sets 😀.

Last edited:
Top Bottom