What's new

Thats it!

Ooo whats in there

Attachments

• 13A912F1-308F-4F45-8F06-02B8F792CADC.jpeg
    13A912F1-308F-4F45-8F06-02B8F792CADC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
What a lovely lady she gave me 2 free marvis toothpastes! Never tried them before!

Attachments

• E51F9A0A-51AF-4762-9089-6B45C5062EE4.jpeg
    E51F9A0A-51AF-4762-9089-6B45C5062EE4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So sexy tho ....ahhh a fresh razor also...i did the hair test and it goes through with ease ...shave ready ...however i wont be shaving with it yet ...its going to be stored away until next week :)
You have more self-control than I.

Would this be ideal ...they are a decent price for three and he hasnt got many left.. 1k 4k and 8k king stones plus nagura and guide clip

Don't need the sharpening guide; the spine is your guide for a straight (or if you're like me and tape with Kapton tape, the taped spine is your guide). I'm admittedly a newbie at honing, but I don't see any need for a nagura since you're not sharpening on a natural stone

Congrats! That is 1 fine looking piece of equipment. I have been eyeballing some quite similar, so I will be eagerly waiting to see your review of how it performs. I am certain it will be phenomenal.

I just started using a Feather Artist Club SS, so I am just trying to wrap my head around this whole honing, stropping thing.

get a good strop and a 12k synth stone and you should be golden. you can then acquire more stones if you fall down the hole completely.

I like the simplicity of this approach. Would one 12K stone and a combo leather/linen strop be sufficient for a factory-sealed straight razor from a manufacturer like a Boker or a Dovo, or would this approach only work for a razor that was honed by the vendor?

I just started using a Feather Artist Club SS, so I am just trying to wrap my head around this whole honing, stropping thing.

I like the simplicity of this approach. Would one 12K stone and a combo leather/linen strop be sufficient for a factory-sealed straight razor from a manufacturer like a Boker or a Dovo, or would this approach only work for a razor that was honed by the vendor?

it depends upon maker and if was assembled on a Monday or Friday. lol.

the dovo "shorty" Barbarossa I bought a while back came pretty sharp. that specific razor I never ran on stones or pasted balsa strops. looking back on it now it could have used minimal laps on a finisher stone. I intentionally did not run this one through the pasted balsa strop progression.

it was sharp. as I learned different types of sharpness I decided to run it on a ultra fine black ark (not too long ago).

at a minimum running it on some 14k 3M film would be an economical option to test the waters.

can't speak about boker don't own one yet........i started my adventure with antique vintages which makes up the majority of my razor collection.

20200820_060331.jpg

camo

The DOVO 4 Prima is looking pretty sweet.

@camoloc, did buy your Barbarossa sealed from the factory or did the vendor hone it? I also see that the Barbarossa is stainless. How do you like using and honing a stainless razor?

Last edited:
The DOVO 4 Prima is looking pretty sweet.

@camoloc, did buy your Barbarossa sealed from the factory or did the vendor hone it? I also see that the Barbarossa is stainless. How do you like using and honing a stainless razor?

mine came from the big sale site wrapped or sealed in box.

if you find a vendor willing to touch it up for a few clams..........might not be a bad idea though.

I encountered zero problems with the steel.

camo

I have been doing more and more research, trying to wrap my head around this whole business of buying and maintaining a real straight. Can anyone comment on the idea of me first buying a "shave ready" carbon steel Gold Dollar razor for around $20 plus cheap leather and cloth strops? After this, a 12,000 grit Naniwa stone and some lapping film on a need-to basis. I would like to avoid the whole balsa strop with diamond paste - sounds messy and a lot of work. I am also intrigued by the idea of a silicone sleeve - oiling a carbon steel razor sounds like a pain.

Then when I am comfortable with the honing/stropping and better understand the issue of carbon steel oxidizing, buy a new factory-sealed razor like a Dovo. The Bismarck, Prima and Inox (stainless) all look very nice!

Good idea to practice on a gold dollar + cheap strops at first, but why a 12k? Kind of an odd number, TBH, and they're rather expensive compared to lower grits. With a 1k and a 5k, you can set the bevel on your razor and sharpen it a bit - both can also double for sharpening your kitchen knives, which only ever really go to 5 or 6k, should you ever want to get into that.
You can shave off a 12k, but you can go sooo much higher & sharper with lapping film or a balsa strop - 14k at 1 micron, 60,000 at 0.3 micron, 500,000 grit at 0.05 micron. A single 12k stone just seems like an odd number, unless you have something specific in mind.
As for oiling, well, to each his own, but if you keep it out of humid areas of the house, you should be fine sans oil

Good idea to practice on a gold dollar + cheap strops at first, but why a 12k? Kind of an odd number, TBH, and they're rather expensive compared to lower grits.

The 12k comes from a geofatboy (Shave Nation) video I saw and an earlier post by @camoloc on this thread. I would love to find a summary of the different stropping and honing techniques/tools listed by grit in decreasing order. [There has to be some method to this "madness".] I am trying to understand what is next when the leather won't work, the linen won't work, the 12k stone won't work, etc.

Ideally, I would buy a $20 razor that initially only needs a leather and a linen strop and then get the next tool by grit level when I need it. With the goal of never letting my razor get dull enough to need much beyond whatever tool you use after the leather and linen strops. I have no issue paying $90 for a stone if I get good use out it. What I don't want to do is buy a whole bunch of stuff that I never use or only use a couple of time. And if one of my razors were to get really dull or beat up, rather than buy a whole bunch of stuff to only use once and me doing a crappy job, I would rather just send it to an expert with all the gear.

Top Bottom