What's new

TGQ "Vacation" closing September

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I wanted to say “Thank you” to each and every one of you, for making our Summer Fragrance Sale such a success. I’m hopeful that a few new scents will be added to our regular line up of products in the coming months.

I would also like to announce; “The Gentlemen’s Quarter” will be closing for the remainder of the month of September to finish up our website, stock up on inventory and take a little rest in between. We will not be accepting any orders during this time and apologize for any inconvenience.

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

Colleen,

Have a great vacation. My wallet thanks you for the break!

I'm almost afraid of what you're going to do to my cash flow when you open back up with "new fragrances" :blush::001_wub::drool:

Regards,

Colleen,
I tried to access your website last night. But now after reading this thread I know why I was unsuccessful!!!

Have a great September. I am thoroughly enjoying your lavender, cavendish and desert ironwood soaps; I haven't touched my creams in over a month!!

I will certainly catch up with you in October.

Colleen,
I tried to access your website last night. But now after reading this thread I know why I was unsuccessful!!!

Have a great September. I am thoroughly enjoying your lavender, cavendish and desert ironwood soaps; I haven't touched my creams in over a month!!

I will certainly catch up with you in October.

Good Evening Gentlemen!

Hello there 4hits.

Yes....I had to take a wee bit of a vacation to play catch up. Thank you for the fine compliments on the shaving soap, it's always a pleasure!

We are busy at the soap making house next door.....stocking up on shaving soaps, shaving creams and Bath Soap.....200 pounds of bath soap :eek: So this is actually a working vacation...lol.

Lots of work on the website, and label design. Rethinking business strategy, all lots of new and exciting adventures seem to be on the horizon for TGQ and I'm excited.

And totally off topic here......but if you like Western's....you just gotta go see " 3:10 to Yuma " with Russell Crowe. Now THAT'S a Western!! complete with two beautiful women....you always have to have beautiful women in a western :wink:

Soapmistress

Good Evening Gentlemen!

Hello there 4hits.

Yes....I had to take a wee bit of a vacation to play catch up. Thank you for the fine compliments on the shaving soap, it's always a pleasure!

We are busy at the soap making house next door.....stocking up on shaving soaps, shaving creams and Bath Soap.....200 pounds of bath soap :eek: So this is actually a working vacation...lol.

Lots of work on the website, and label design. Rethinking business strategy, all lots of new and exciting adventures seem to be on the horizon for TGQ and I'm excited.

And totally off topic here......but if you like Western's....you just gotta go see " 3:10 to Yuma " with Russell Crowe. Now THAT'S a Western!! complete with two beautiful women....you always have to have beautiful women in a western :wink:

Soapmistress

Colleen, I could not agree with you more on the suggestion of going to “3:10 to Yuma”. Absolutely fantastic movie, Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are both top notch and turn in very strong performances in this show. I’ve not seen the original version of this movie, so I’m not sure how they compare, but the new one is very good.

Colleen, I could not agree with you more on the suggestion of going to “3:10 to Yuma”. Absolutely fantastic movie, Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are both top notch and turn in very strong performances in this show. I’ve not seen the original version of this movie, so I’m not sure how they compare, but the new one is very good.

I thought so too! I'd watch it again. I hadn't seen the original either and asked my My Husband ( who has seen every Western ever made ) if the original movie was the same and he said, "not quite" .....LOL. I don't know what that means...lol....but I've had the urge to go rent the original so I can compare.

It's been a loonnngggg time since I've seen a really good movie, and "3:10 to Yuma" fits the bill.

Maybe Western movies will make a comeback. I sure hope so!
XXWarm Regards, Colleen

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I am more than halfway thru my working vacation…. WoW !…..where is the time going? Perusing the shaving forums and always talking about the delights of shaving soaps and shaving creams, it occurred to me that one thing some of you may not know about me, is that first and foremost I’m a cold process soap maker. I make Bath Soap.

There are different methods of making soap on a small scale, and in the beginning I tried the standard “melt and pour”, then hand milling and then moved right along to “cold process”. Cold process as the name is implies…..uses little to no heat, only enough to melt the oils, fats or butters. The sodium hydroxide (lye and distilled water) is cooled and the two are mixed together at low temperatures without any external heat. Thus you have the name “cold process”.

As the Soapmaker, I am able to choose the oils, fats or butters that have the proper ratio of cleansing properties and skin care. Controlling the quantity of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) used in relation to the oils, also gives me the ability to create a soap that has left over or unsaponifed oils…….known as “superfat” although these days I like to think of it more as “extra cream”. This is “Key” …..in creating a bath soap with a generous lather, that cleans gently….yet is mild; with additional oils to moisturize and soothe the skin.

Of course…this is just the base of the soap. As the soapmaker, I also get to decide what else goes into the batch. Another thing that a few of you may not know about me is that I have a rather large herb garden that I started over 15 years ago. The herbs are grown organically, and are used both in my soaps and in my kitchen. Nothing quite like fresh basil, rosemary, oregano and thyme when cooking, and I love fresh mint, and lemon balm in sweet tea!! What a delight on a hot summer day.

I also harvest different plants from the wild; what some call “wild crafting” or “ wild harvest” with wonderful names like jewelweed, self-heal, nettles , and evening primrose. Gathering herbs from the garden and native plants from the surrounding area, allows me to make different infusions steeped in flowers, herbs and plants. Each is known to impart certain skin care qualities, and I use the infusions in place of water in making the bath soap. And for what we don’t grow here in the garden, we use fine organic food grade teas (always fun to have a cup of tea at the same time) like chamomile and jasmine. Blue poppy seeds are nice to add for exfoliation, and I only use food grade spice to add hints and tones of natural muted colors.

The one draw back to cold process is that it has a cure time. All soapmakers have their own idea on proper length of time, and it's true that sometimes it will depend on the type of soap being made….the ratio of milk, shea butter or additional oils can increase cure times, and the lack thereof can decrease the time...... But on average 3 to 4 weeks is good.

Over the next two weeks we will be making several batches of soap ( around 250 pounds) to get ready for the opening of our website and the upcoming Holiday season that is fast approaching. Most of our bath soaps are available in the scents that you are already familiar with in the same line as the shaving soaps and shaving creams.

I will also be introducing a few specialty soaps, or working soaps would be a fine name. A good hand soap for the working man…..something that will clean your hands, but not dry them out. The soap will be scented with a custom blend of citrus essential oils to aide in cutting grease and dirt, and enough added oils to soothe chapped, dry skin. I’ll also be adding an extra creamy “Butter Bar”, for dry skin…..and I’ll be introducing a new product line for women, beginning with soap, and adding sugar scrub, lotions, and massage oils.

And if there are any soaps ...."specialty types" or other, that you'd like to see made or have ideas about....I'm always interested in learning what you'd like to see in your choice of skin care products, so that we may better serve your needs.

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

I was lucky enough to get a sample of Colleen's "Lemon Verbena" bath soap recently and it is really fantastic. A nice true lemon scent and lots of lather. You have to try it.

(and as an added benefit, in folklore verbena/vervain is said to keep vampires away. stock up before halloween!)

Colleen sent along a sample of a Sandalwood bath soap. This sandalwood has won me over. I'm very curious as to what else she's got in the pipeline...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good Morning Gentlemen,

The one draw back to cold process is that it has a cure time. All soapmakers have their own idea on proper length of time, and it's true that sometimes it will depend on the type of soap being made….the ratio of milk, shea butter or additional oils can increase cure times, and the lack thereof can decrease the time...... But on average 3 to 4 weeks is good.

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

Very interesting, Colleen. I'm wondering about the "cure time" ... that suggests to me that the soap changes and 'ages' in between being made/poured and when the cure time is deemed by the maker to be over ... does that mean that the soap is now 'finished' the changing and ageing process, or simply ready for market? Will it continue to age after that (like a bottle of wine) or is the ageing finished (like a bottle of scotch)?

thanks!

Very interesting, Colleen. I'm wondering about the "cure time" ... that suggests to me that the soap changes and 'ages' in between being made/poured and when the cure time is deemed by the maker to be over ... does that mean that the soap is now 'finished' the changing and ageing process, or simply ready for market? Will it continue to age after that (like a bottle of wine) or is the ageing finished (like a bottle of scotch)?

thanks!

Good Evening Gentlemen!

Doc that's a very good question. For the bath soaps, I think we'll go with the bottle of scotch :wink:

The two methods I'm familiar with for the Home soapmaker are either Hot process or Cold process. I am a Cold process soapmaker....and for any who are curious, yes....a home soapmaker can handmill soaps, but the process is long and lengthy, making it cost prohibitive.

The short version of this difference is that Hot process obviously involves heat...after the oils and lye are mixed together ( aka saponification ) the pot continues to be cooked over heat until the excess water is boiled off and the lye is neutral. The soap is poured into molds, and when it has cooled it is cut into bars and is ready to be trimmed, and wrapped for market.

In Cold process the oils, fats, butters are heated only enough to melt them. The sodium hydroxide and distilled water reaches a very high temperature when first mixed, so this solution must be cooled to reach the same temperature as the melted oils. When the two are equal in temperature ( I like around 95 to 98 degrees) they are mixed together (acid and alkali) they begin to saponify....or make soap.

The difference.....no additional heat is used....thus the name "Cold Process". In Hot process the excess water is boiled off....in Cold Process the excess water has to have time to evaporate. This is the curing stage.

Of course one is then lead to ponder why on earth would you do that, when you can make hot process soap, that virtually lathers the same and could be made and ready for market within two days as opposed to 1 month.

BUT....I'll have to save that part for tomorrow morning, because my Husband is wondering about dinner....lol

Soapmistress

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Very informative, thanks. I hope dinner went well, and look forward to the next installment ... :biggrin:

Good Evening Gentlemen!

Doc that's a very good question. For the bath soaps, I think we'll go with the bottle of scotch :wink:

The two methods I'm familiar with for the Home soapmaker are either Hot process or Cold process. I am a Cold process soapmaker....and for any who are curious, yes....a home soapmaker can handmill soaps, but the process is long and lengthy, making it cost prohibitive.

The short version of this difference is that Hot process obviously involves heat...after the oils and lye are mixed together ( aka saponification ) the pot continues to be cooked over heat until the excess water is boiled off and the lye is neutral. The soap is poured into molds, and when it has cooled it is cut into bars and is ready to be trimmed, and wrapped for market.

In Cold process the oils, fats, butters are heated only enough to melt them. The sodium hydroxide and distilled water reaches a very high temperature when first mixed, so this solution must be cooled to reach the same temperature as the melted oils. When the two are equal in temperature ( I like around 95 to 98 degrees) they are mixed together (acid and alkali) they begin to saponify....or make soap.

The difference.....no additional heat is used....thus the name "Cold Process". In Hot process the excess water is boiled off....in Cold Process the excess water has to have time to evaporate. This is the curing stage.

Of course one is then lead to ponder why on earth would you do that, when you can make hot process soap, that virtually lathers the same and could be made and ready for market within two days as opposed to 1 month.

BUT....I'll have to save that part for tomorrow morning, because my Husband is wondering about dinner....lol

Soapmistress

Good Morning Gentlemen!

Some of this is purely subjective, as soapmakers all believe that their method is the best...lol....but in all honesty I find that there are pro's and con's to each method so a person just picks which one works best for them. My preference is "Cold Process".

Two issues come to the forefront when choosing either Hot or Cold process. One obviously is how quick you can bring the product to market, the other is how damaging is the Hot process to essential oils used over the Cold process. Another less known factor albeit important is the actual "feel" of the bar of soap.

Hot process certainly bears the advantage of bringing a product to market quickly. But I prefer the longer, draaaawn out :wink: Cold process and this why:

It is my personal opinion that the Cold process method is less damaging to the Essential oils used. If I am going to use Essential oils, which can be costly....but are far superior in quality and depth of scent over fragrance oils, I need to pick a method of soapmaking that will cause the least amout of damage to the oils. For me....this is the Cold process....the lesser of the two evils.

But the problem with Cold Process is the cure time....WoW! and it really can be a problem sometimes in marketing the product. If you run out, well shoot! uhmmm..."coughs"....you're OUT. And truth be known.....I ran out. Not good planning on my part. :frown: And thus the September "working" vacation here at TGQ.

Ok...back on topic....the other reason, for choosing Cold Process over Hot (for me) is that a Hot process bar of Bath soap has an odd spongy feel to the actual bar. Like you can squeeze it....lol....now I don't know about other folks, but when I pick up a bar of soap I don't want the texture to be spongy (rubbery) or the appearance to be "grainy"....which also happens sometimes in the hot process. I want the bar to be hard, and it should have a very fine texture. It should have "eye appeal".

So even though the Cold Process takes longer waiting for the excess water to evaporate...the final product is superior in strength of scent, viability of the essential oils, and the texture and appearance of the soap itself.

Which leads us to the next question, "Yes....but which one cleans better?" Honestly....Neither method produces a soap that cleans better, they are both equal in this regard. What makes for a soap that "cleans or is gentle to the skin" is based solely on the oils chosen by the soapmaker and their ratio to the proportion of Sodium Hydroxide used.

Speaking of....I gotta go make soap. :wink:

Soapmistress

Thanks for all the great information. Seems like there are a lot of fascinating details to soapmaking that simply never occurred to me. All I know is I like good soap!

I've been using your shaving soaps pretty exclusively for a while now, and I just love it. Is your shaving soap cold process also, or just your bath bars?

Thanks for all the great information. Seems like there are a lot of fascinating details to soapmaking that simply never occurred to me. All I know is I like good soap!

I've been using your shaving soaps pretty exclusively for a while now, and I just love it. Is your shaving soap cold process also, or just your bath bars?

Good Evening Gentlemen,

and you're quite Welcome for the information, it's my pleasure. Soapmaking is actually very interesting, and trust me....I understand the whole... "who knew"..... feeling. Soap is just not something you sit around and think about :laugh: but when you understand the process a little more, it's quite intriguing.

When I veeerrrry first started out learning to make shaving soap, what I sent out as samples for Gentlemen to try was a cold-process shaving soap. What I can tell you is that the men said it had "beautiful, superb..... slick" and lousy lather....lol... And after many failed attempts to numerous to count......What I use now is an all natural base, with added Kosher glycerin. But shall we say, I learned I few "extras" from my experience as a CP soapmaker which has enabled me to tweak the base, to give you a really good shaving soap with a proper blend of moisture without losing the lather.

All that said, I still haven't given up hope of trying to figure out how to make a CP shaving soap....and someday I'll get it figured out.

The basics of soapmaking are very much like chemistry. I'd be happy to post a few....the whys and how of soap.....nothing quite like a story of "Hydrophobic Tails" to piqued one's interest....

Soapmistress

Top Bottom