What's new

Ten Minute Straight Razor Challenge

Do shavettes count? :)
Yes unguarded open blade in my book counts. Nice shave there sir.
My $0,02 of input if I may. You seem to use a steep angle especially on your cheeks, upper lip and chin with a shallower angle on your neck occasionally which IME is the better/correct angle. Reducing the angle flusher to your skin will make a big difference on comfort, closeness and any irritation. Also the wetter your lather the slicker and more efficient your shave will be.

well done to you sir!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This is a sequel to the Fifteen minute straight razor challenge.
The original inspiration was Youtube videos posted by Chimensch, Karl Langner and WilliPeter99.
Slash McCoy suggested some rules for the last one and so here goes:

1) Since everyone has a different preparation routine (making lather, stropping, etc.), the timer will start when the razor meets the skin and end when the last stroke is finished.
2) You must shave the entire beard area including moustache and goatee. Side burns are acceptable to the level of the bottom of the ear.
2) Minimum two passes. Touch-up and/or third pass are optional.
3) DFS. You will be on your honor here.
4) Video required. This is not only for evidence but also so we can see and learn from your technique.
5) Standards:

Gold: under five minutes with no blood
Silver: under ten minutes or under five minutes with a nick or two
Bronze: under fifteen minutes with a nick or two
I am not set up for video but out of curiosity i timed my shave this morning. I did not look at the stopwatch during the shave and shaved at my normal pace. I lathered then started the timer. I did my usual two pass shave in 4 minutes and 25 seconds.

Following something I was told by Robin Kroha a long time ago, I tried shaving blindfolded. If you know your razor and can shave, it's really not as hard as it sounds.

Following something I was told by Robin Kroha a long time ago, I tried shaving blindfolded. If you know your razor and can shave, it's really not as hard as it sounds.

Do you mean shaving with a straight blindfolded?

I never use a mirror with a DE but haven't yet tried that with a straight. I prefer shaving purely by feel and really enjoy it.

It's crossed my mind though, to try with a Kamisori because it's smaller and therefore easier to predict the length and thereby eliminate surprises/ear slashes, etc.

How did that shave go?

Do you mean shaving with a straight blindfolded?

I never use a mirror with a DE but haven't yet tried that with a straight. I prefer shaving purely by feel and really enjoy it.

It's crossed my mind though, to try with a Kamisori because it's smaller and therefore easier to predict the length and thereby eliminate surprises/ear slashes, etc.

How did that shave go?

Yes. With a straight. Blindfolded. It went very well. I do advise you to use a razor you know well. I find it strangely restful because there is no room in your head for stray thoughts. At all times you need to be aware of where your hands, face, and razor are at all times.

Yes. With a straight. Blindfolded. It went very well. I do advise you to use a razor you know well. I find it strangely restful because there is no room in your head for stray thoughts. At all times you need to be aware of where your hands, face, and razor are at all times.

That's pretty intense.

I'm already there regarding awareness. And I wouldn't be in the dark, just shaving without a mirror so I'd have some visual awareness as well.

Whenever I get a chance and it's a new moon I go walk through the woods. It's magic how other awareness swoops in when vision is shut down.

As an aside, years ago I was walking out of the downtown LA train station. Must have been after midnight. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a sort of extremely powerful glow. Not light or flash, but glow. I stopped and watched, couldn't compute.

It took a minute to realize it was Stevie Wonder. And there was this huge golden glow all around. Like his blindness turned on another light. And within that he was fully aware. I guess it was a sort of glowing awareness.

Anyway, thanks very much for the reply! Just refreshed the edge on a Kamisori I've had for 10+ years and we'll see how it goes.

The Society of Mental Shavers.

As my grand pappy used to say: a razor is like a beautiful woman. Treat her with respect & patience and she'll smile at you. But if you jump on her back and try to ride her like a racehorse she'll bite you.

A bit of a thread hijack
Let's see the video of your SR shave.
Show me the money...

With respect, there are many interesting ways to pass the time, and filming myself while shaving, or watching men shave themselves isn't one of them, for me.

With respect, there are many interesting ways to pass the time, and filming myself while shaving, or watching men shave themselves isn't one of them, for me.

So I just finished my third shave with no mirror. Nothing but experience and sensation to guide me.

The first two were with a traditional Kamisori and today was a garden variety 5/8 Le Grelot. They've honestly been the best shaves of my life to Date. I actually found it "easier". Or maybe I should say more smoothly. With much more aplomb!

The opening salvo of the first resulted in a little weeper because I felt like I was doing everything backwards, being used to a mirror and it's reversed image. Tip of the Kamisori got my chin as I rounded the curve atg. A drop of blood is the best teacher and everything since has been superlative.

It's actually faster without a mirror than with, which is important to me. Processing the visual cues was slowing me down a little. No dance in front of a mirror. Going by pure sensation, literally nothing but the kiss of the blade, is superlative. As Hemingway said about Africa, it burns the fat off your soul.

Everything a straight shave should be with zero irritation zero aftershave plenty of bliss.

I'm definitely going to continue with this. The challenge will become routine and the incredible experience of just being purely in my skin for a moment without distraction will continue.

So thanks for mentioning your blindfolded shaving, it gave me a worthy and rewarding challenge.

Sorry gents, no vidz from me either. I'm a freak sitting in an antique bearclaw tub on the edge of the woods. Might drive the ladies wild and my wife crazy!

I am here more with Michelangelo when he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel:
È fatto quando è finito, nessuna ricompensa extra per la velocità. :c9:
(It’s done when it’s done, no extra rewards for speed.)

B. :cool:

Certain people can do a two or three pass in three minutes. That seems like a race.
However, IMHO five to ten-minutes seems like a reasonable time to get a DFS shave.

Certain people can do a two or three pass in three minutes. That seems like a race.
However, IMHO five to ten-minutes seems like a reasonable time to get a DFS shave.

True, but my aim is to go beyond a DFS.

Measured from the time I start whipping up the lather until I have dried and stropped the razor after the shave, and the brush is cleaned and rubbed dry with a towel, takes me typically just under 24 minutes (about 10 mins longer than a not quite so close safety razor shave).

As my aim is to consistently achieve BBS shaves, I consider that a price well worth paying for.

B.

Top Bottom