What's new

Ten Minute Straight Razor Challenge

This is a sequel to the Fifteen minute straight razor challenge.
The original inspiration was Youtube videos posted by Chimensch, Karl Langner and WilliPeter99.
Slash McCoy suggested some rules for the last one and so here goes:

1) Since everyone has a different preparation routine (making lather, stropping, etc.), the timer will start when the razor meets the skin and end when the last stroke is finished.
2) You must shave the entire beard area including moustache and goatee. Side burns are acceptable to the level of the bottom of the ear.
2) Minimum two passes. Touch-up and/or third pass are optional.
3) DFS. You will be on your honor here.
4) Video required. This is not only for evidence but also so we can see and learn from your technique.
5) Standards:

Gold: under five minutes with no blood
Silver: under ten minutes or under five minutes with a nick or two
Bronze: under fifteen minutes with a nick or two

This is a sequel to the Fifteen minute straight razor challenge.
The original inspiration was Youtube videos posted by Chimensch, Karl Langner and WilliPeter99.
Slash McCoy suggested some rules for the last one and so here goes:

1) Since everyone has a different preparation routine (making lather, stropping, etc.), the timer will start when the razor meets the skin and end when the last stroke is finished.
2) You must shave the entire beard area including moustache and goatee. Side burns are acceptable to the level of the bottom of the ear.
2) Minimum two passes. Touch-up and/or third pass are optional.
3) DFS. You will be on your honor here.
4) Video required. This is not only for evidence but also so we can see and learn from your technique.
5) Standards:

Gold: under five minutes with no blood
Silver: under ten minutes or under five minutes with a nick or two
Bronze: under fifteen minutes with a nick or two
My far better half read this over my shoulder....NOT IN!

Obviously it doesn't count, but I timed my shave today to see if I could do it. 9 minutes 26 seconds for a two pass shave plus clean up. I may take a video for tomorrow evenings shave.

I previously shared a Instagram link which is not allow, my apology. So i had to go and make another plan on youtube. This shave was recorded 12 Sept well before the rules for this was made and is an educational shave demonstration with a lot talk and stop/starts totaling 29min I am by no means an expert, just a normal guy. The easier passes IMO to record is 2&3 @16min and 20min respectively. I believe they are both under 5min if the stop/start intervals is not timed. In any case the link below on youtube recorded on my mobile phone.

Here's my first entry. I'll have to try again. Time is pretty good but I started rushing towards the end. Cut my lip. Forgiving blade for the most part but I got a little flippant and it bit me. Simmons Hardware English Standard. Quarter Hollow. Early 20th Century. OEM private label from one of the big Sheffield factories. Finished on Jasper and vintage shell.

My entry.
The dovo BQ which had a frown and geometry issues, posted about it here.
Finished on my asagi tomae (jnat).
Good bit of growth. A few small nicks so bronze I guess? :lol: :straight:
I don't do well under time preassure 😇

I have a video of my last SR shave on Saturday. 8:14 with a blade on my face and no new nicks (I reopened a scab) but not in because the goatee stays. Could have finished faster but it's pretty obvious I wasted time not stretching skin where it needed to be stretched, so I had to go over it again. That's a learning opportunity for me.

as a 24 year old who has been shaving with a straight since high school this might be my time to shine. Would do it today but I shaved yesterday and I would say I have thin/easy to shave beard. Put a translucent ark edge on my helje recently and she is gliding atm. Would say I might be on the slower side for getting prepped but if it starts when razor touches face I think I can do a quick one.

I have to figure YouTube out...LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of ways to get that done.
I duct tape my phone to the mirror for my video. Make sure the mirror is clean and dry or the duct tape won't stick. Then I use an app called Video Maker (It used to be called Video Guru) to do any quick crops/edits and then it's easy to upload to my YouTube account through that app. It handles making sure it's in the right encoding format. You can add a voiceover or soundtrack if you want. There are ads while it processes, but it's a free app and it works and it doesn't put any ads or weird water marks on your video or weird stuff on your phone. And you don't have to use a computer, just straight from your phone works really easy.

There are a lot of ways to get that done.
I duct tape my phone to the mirror for my video. Make sure the mirror is clean and dry or the duct tape won't stick. Then I use an app called Video Maker (It used to be called Video Guru) to do any quick crops/edits and then it's easy to upload to my YouTube account through that app. It handles making sure it's in the right encoding format. You can add a voiceover or soundtrack if you want. There are ads while it processes, but it's a free app and it works and it doesn't put any ads or weird water marks on your video or weird stuff on your phone. And you don't have to use a computer, just straight from your phone works really easy.

I’ll check it out. I have a Nikon Z6 that records .mov. If there’s no transcoding it would be easy. Straight from iOS would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom