What's new

Ted Pella shipping charges

Ordered 200 single edge GEM type blades from Ted Pella a few days ago and also added a package of four used blade safes to the order. Pella would not quote shipping but did note that they "calculate shipping charges at time of shipment to provide the lowest possible cost to you." I made the unfortunate mistake of believing that when I placed the order. Price on the blades was $37.50 and the blade safes were $12.50. I now have the invoice and the package is on the way. Shipping charges were a whopping $21.98 and package is apparantly coming FEDEX ground as the total time from shipping to arrival will be eight days. Additionally, this company apparently ships everything with a signature required which means someone is going to have to take time off from work to receive the package. Had I been notified that I would be gouged for shipping and have to take time off to get the package, I certainly would never have ordered from this company. I certainly never will again.

BUYER BEWARE when dealing with this company.

Whoa.... why don’t you call them and tell them you want to cancel the order? I’d be surprised if it’s actually shipping out on a Saturday, you could probably tell them you don’t agree with the shipping charges and want to cancel immediately. That does sound exorbitant, there’s clearly much cheaper options.

From the Ted Pella website: "We use FedEx for most shipping, as we have negotiated rates with them that are less expensive in most cases. But UPS is still available if requested. We have direct computer links to Federal Express and UPS by which we can trace shipments expeditiously at any stage."

Whoa.... why don’t you call them and tell them you want to cancel the order? I’d be surprised if it’s actually shipping out on a Saturday, you could probably tell them you don’t agree with the shipping charges and want to cancel immediately. That does sound exorbitant, there’s clearly much cheaper options.
Shipped out yesterday. Already enroute.

From the Ted Pella website: "We use FedEx for most shipping, as we have negotiated rates with them that are less expensive in most cases. But UPS is still available if requested. We have direct computer links to Federal Express and UPS by which we can trace shipments expeditiously at any stage."
You're correct. That's what you can find on their website. Is your point that I should have realized from that statement that their pricing would be obscene and I would have to take time off from work to sit home and wait for the package?

You're correct. That's what you can find on their website. Is your point that I should have realized from that statement that their pricing would be obscene and I would have to take time off from work to sit home and wait for the package?
No, my point is that they appear to say that they have negotiated special rates with FedEx - but the amount they charge is hardly a special rate.

I have stayed away from ordering from Ted Pella specifically because they would not quote me shipping at the time of the order. Ironically, I do my bulk order from Connaught all the way in the UK. They have better prices and great shipping rates.

I have been ordering from EMS for a few years. Their customer service is great. This is from their website re shipping:

Service with a smile! We guarantee to ship your order within 24 hours after we receive it. If you need your order urgently, we will be more than happy to ship it by either Federal Express or UPS Air. If time is not a factor, the most economical method for shipping is by UPS Ground. We do have discounted rates with both UPS and Federal Express to save you money. The choice is yours. Please be advised that it is our company policy to only charge you the exact shipping charges that we are charged - NO MORE.

*UPS®: Either ground, Orange (3 day), Blue (2nd day), or Red (next day )
*Federal Express®: Economy (2nd day), or Priority (next day)
DHL: Economy (2-day service), Priority (Next day service)
Motor Freight: for excessive weight
Air Freight:
*To assure you the lowest possible shipping costs, we have set up special accounts with both UPS and Federal Express where you will benefit from our corporate discounts. Unless you otherwise specify, we will choose the most practical shipping method.​

Top Bottom