What's new

Muhle RE89... What's next?

Ah, sorry for not explaining the brush situation fully. My first brush was a silvertip badger from Muhle. It sometimes irritated my skin, hard do use (gauging water and soap, since it holds a lot of both) and it felt kind of ''floppy'' so i wanted to try a synthetic. Sadly i ordered a very bad brush. I've recently received a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo. It is FANTASTIC. I could splay it full force if i wanted to and not feel any irritation. Even though it has decent backbone, it is just INCREDIBLY soft. Very happy with it

Blades that i have found available here in Iceland: Shark SS, Kai SS, Feather New Hi SS, Merkur SP, Muhle SS (first blades i got, kept tugging my thicker beard hairs) and Astra Greens (which i use now, mostly happy, get some bad blades, bought a 100 pack)

The reason i've been hesitant in trying more blades, is that shipping costs are too high IMO. I would like to take a chance of buying a sample pack, but if i ended up liking the Astra ones the most, i would feel like i would have lost a lot of money, and overall it's a lot of shipping cost for a cheap item. Im talking up to 30-40 bucks shipping in some cases +20% taxes on total cost, items ordered and shipping.

But overall the Astras work really well for me, minimal tugging, if any. And it removes my beard very efficiently. So im not sure if new blades would help in removing hairs in my trouble spots

The 37C is available in my country. But i think im gonna have to pass on slanted razors. I'm not gonna self diagnose myself with OCD, but i just know the look would annoy me. But man, im sad the 41C isn't efficient, i saw somewhere the open comb really helped with efficiency.

I do highly appreciate the detailed answer! :)
I have really enjoyed the Yaqi Mellon Chrome open comb and the Fatip open comb slant. You can buy the Mellon head for about $8 on AliExpress. I would characterize both of these as efficient, but not aggressive.

I have really enjoyed the Yaqi Mellon Chrome open comb and the Fatip open comb slant. You can buy the Mellon head for about $8 on AliExpress. I would characterize both of these as efficient, but not aggressive.
One thing i wondered about the heads. Do i need to worry about thread size issues? As in, do all heads fit all handles? I haven't found any mention of threading size or anything like that, so i'd think any head would fit on any handle, with some exceptions im sure

One thing i wondered about the heads. Do i need to worry about thread size issues? As in, do all heads fit all handles? I haven't found any mention of threading size or anything like that, so i'd think any head would fit on any handle, with some exceptions im sure
I don’t think that all heads fit all handles, but the threading on several handles is standardized. The handle that I purchased for the Mellon is called a Lemonwald Stainless Steel handle and it has 4.3 mm threads. It is supposed to fit most razor heads. My EJ DE89 handle does fit the Yaqi Mellon.

Other people in the forum are much more knowledgeable about the various threads and they may be able to provide more precise answers.

No they don't. Fatip uses M4 as threading in its handles whereas the regular handles such as Razorock's are M5. That's what has kept me from buying the Lemonwald @Keyvan mentioned above. It will not fit all razor heads. Vintage Gillette razor heads also come in 10/32 threading which is similar but not the same as M5. Modern razors almost all have M5 razor head threading.

In terms of the R89 I have ordered one with the rose gold handle. It is incoming today. I wanted to know how it shaved and through a local auction site a very nicely priced specimen came by. To hard to resist. If I have used it a number of times with different blades I will revisit your thread @Tonikallinn and provide you with my findings.

Cheers,

Guido.

And i think i will be going with these.... two blades of each sounds good to me

View attachment 1740618

I got my order of blades yesterday. And oh boy, does a different razor blade make a whole world of difference. I honestly expected a minimal difference for most blades

I decided to go with the R89 for these tests. BTW, until like a week or two ago, i was still going by the ''no pressure'' insisted with safety razors. I saw a random post on here, that it's only meant for beginners to make sure they don't hurt themselves. After trying the R89 with a decent amount of pressure, it shaved very differently. Shaved closer, and i didn't need to buff as much.

I just tried the Wilkinson sword this morning. Decided to go with that one first, since i've heard the least about these blades, and thought i would like them the least. Turns out i like them a lot! There was less tugging than on my Astra greens, and they also felt smoother! It felt like it would be very difficult to cut myself with them. (i did give myself a nick or two, but i was getting late to work, was buffing more than i should have as well. Fastest shave yet! But im 99% sure i won't cut myself if i shave as normal)

I've decided that i will put updates on here with my experiences with these blades. And i will also put the blades i've tried in a ranking order. Ranking will be based on sharpness and comfort

1. Wilkinson - Sword (Germany)
2. Astra SP (Greens)
3. Muhle

I will use the blades for as many times i feel comfortable shaving with them. And keep count of how many shaves they last for me (if i remember to count....)

Big thanks to @Jens for letting me know about razorbladesclub.com

I got my order of blades yesterday. And oh boy, does a different razor blade make a whole world of difference. I honestly expected a minimal difference for most blades

I decided to go with the R89 for these tests. BTW, until like a week or two ago, i was still going by the ''no pressure'' insisted with safety razors. I saw a random post on here, that it's only meant for beginners to make sure they don't hurt themselves. After trying the R89 with a decent amount of pressure, it shaved very differently. Shaved closer, and i didn't need to buff as much.

I just tried the Wilkinson sword this morning. Decided to go with that one first, since i've heard the least about these blades, and thought i would like them the least. Turns out i like them a lot! There was less tugging than on my Astra greens, and they also felt smoother! It felt like it would be very difficult to cut myself with them. (i did give myself a nick or two, but i was getting late to work, was buffing more than i should have as well. Fastest shave yet! But im 99% sure i won't cut myself if i shave as normal)

I've decided that i will put updates on here with my experiences with these blades. And i will also put the blades i've tried in a ranking order. Ranking will be based on sharpness and comfort

1. Wilkinson - Sword (Germany)
2. Astra SP (Greens)
3. Muhle

I will use the blades for as many times i feel comfortable shaving with them. And keep count of how many shaves they last for me (if i remember to count....)

Big thanks to @Jens for letting me know about razorbladesclub.com
Tried the Bic Chrome Platinums today. Oh my, even sharper and smoother than the Wilkinson. Got a weeper going against the grain below my lip (like always.... i dont know why i keep trying). I was worried about when i saw that i received the Bics in the orange wrappers. I saw somewhere that they were very bad in comparison to the yellows.

The second use of Wilkinson felt a bit rougher, and the 3rd time i used it i got ''pimples'' in two places, one of which cause an ingrown hair. Which is a first since i started DE wet shaving, and even a first overall to get an ingrown hair on my face. I was also testing Stirling Soaps while using the blade, which may have been the issue. I didn't get a good lather until today, used too little product. I used 30-40% more product today, and the lather was very slick and good. I will probably give the Wilkinsons another go, as i said when i tried it first, it was very good. Better than the Astras for me. But i'll have them both in second place, for now

1. Bic Chrome Platinum (Orange Wrapper)
2. Astra SP (Greens) and Wilkinson - Sword (Germany)
3. Muhle

Tried the Bic Chrome Platinums today. Oh my, even sharper and smoother than the Wilkinson. Got a weeper going against the grain below my lip (like always.... i dont know why i keep trying). I was worried about when i saw that i received the Bics in the orange wrappers. I saw somewhere that they were very bad in comparison to the yellows.

The second use of Wilkinson felt a bit rougher, and the 3rd time i used it i got ''pimples'' in two places, one of which cause an ingrown hair. Which is a first since i started DE wet shaving, and even a first overall to get an ingrown hair on my face. I was also testing Stirling Soaps while using the blade, which may have been the issue. I didn't get a good lather until today, used too little product. I used 30-40% more product today, and the lather was very slick and good. I will probably give the Wilkinsons another go, as i said when i tried it first, it was very good. Better than the Astras for me. But i'll have them both in second place, for now

3. Muhle
Tried the Derby's. Just couldn't get a good shave. Threw it away after the second time using it. Tugged too much when going against the grain on my neck. They were smooth, fine WTG and XTG in certain places comfortability wise. But not very efficient

3. Derby Premium
4. Muhle

Top Bottom