Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Canada Lite
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: King C. Gillette (16)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Even though I've developed a preference for open comb razors lately, I began accumulating vintage razors long ago - mostly Techs. I have Pre War, Post War, Fat Handles, Ball End Handles, Probak Handle, Contract Handle, Durham Duplex handle, bakelites, in gold and nickel. Some are excellent original finish, some refurbished.
One of my ugliest Techs I bought really cheap just for the bakelite handle. It looked to have been buried with Grandpa, then dug up several years later. The bottom plate was badly pitted, but before tossing it into the junk drawer, I just had to shave with it. The shave was so smooth and close that I just had to clean it up and re-nickel plate it myself. It turned out pretty good for plating it myself. I use it at least once a month.

One of my ugliest Techs I bought really cheap just for the bakelite handle. It looked to have been buried with Grandpa, then dug up several years later. The bottom plate was badly pitted, but before tossing it into the junk drawer, I just had to shave with it. The shave was so smooth and close that I just had to clean it up and re-nickel plate it myself. It turned out pretty good for plating it myself. I use it at least once a month.
Don't we get to see it then? :crying:

Used my nice early Postwar Tech with a Feather Hi Stainless, shave #44 on that (honed & stropped) blade, DFS+ (That’s not the blade I used.)

Attachments

• 23C05C97-147B-4D2F-9ADE-30BA299D3896.jpeg
    23C05C97-147B-4D2F-9ADE-30BA299D3896.jpeg
    970 KB · Views: 4
Date​
02.08.2022 Tech Tuesday​
Main Focus:2/31 Days in GRUME (6.4% competed and easily still in)
211/214 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Executive Man
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
XTG (W-E) slanted
ATG (S-N)
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (11) - retired
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

My first Tech Tuesday! And it was awesome. I really like this razor. If I weren’t BOSC I would have to tell my other razors that is the end of the road for them. But I said that about my Fatip. And my Razorine. And… :out::a9:

Notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11870222

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
TECH Tuesday SOTD
SOTD-BRG-B_2022-07-26.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 599 Super Badger 22/48
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Gillette Rubie (13)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

A very pleasant shave. :biggrin:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
I'm hoping I don't have to comment at a later date.... after I accumulate a bunch of DE's that this was the razor that started it all. I've already made the attempt to steel my resolve to just stick with the Flat Bottom Tech. I do plan to discuss a handle with Doug sometime in the future when I get a feel for what I want. I know I like thicker handles.... so his 14.25mm handles interest me.... now weight and length... I have no idea. I plan to try the Timeless Ti Crown handles after I get 3 or 4 shaves with the OEM handle.

I told @Guido75, I won't take the FBT with me to Bali. We'll be there for a month and I don't want to risk theft. They are too hard to find. I'm lucky you told me to buy that one on its way to me and not to try to negotiate the price, etc.

So, thanks again, Cal.

I'll have all the recommended blades before the razor makes its way to our place. As I said, I have Wizamet and KCG on the way. I decided to add some Kai blades as well since David loves them with his Techs. That should give me enough variety to run the FBT through its paces.

I'm hoping I don't have to comment at a later date.... after I accumulate a bunch of DE's that this was the razor that started it all. I've already made the attempt to steel my resolve to just stick with the Flat Bottom Tech. I do plan to discuss a handle with Doug sometime in the future when I get a feel for what I want. I know I like thicker handles.... so his 14.25mm handles interest me.... now weight and length... I have no idea. I plan to try the Timeless Ti Crown handles after I get 3 or 4 shaves with the OEM handle.

I told @Guido75, I won't take the FBT with me to Bali. We'll be there for a month and I don't want to risk theft. They are too hard to find. I'm lucky you told me to buy that one on its way to me and not to try to negotiate the price, etc.

So, thanks again, Cal.

I'll have all the recommended blades before the razor makes its way to our place. As I said, I have Wizamet and KCG on the way. I decided to add some Kai blades as well since David loves them with his Techs. That should give me enough variety to run the FBT through its paces.
The Vintage Virus is ever present. Now more than ever! But there is too much joy in being able to switch. I shave with a Piccolo for two weeks straight when camping. And great shaver, I love my Piccolos, but it also became somewhat boring to be honest.

I found that it’s quite a light weight handle. It is called the fat handle, but it is actually hollow. I was afraid I would find it too light, but it actually assists in the handling of the Tech.

I did contact Doug and his variety is great and skill is unparalleled. I have this on my wanted list. I first did not like the Timeless handle, but it has grown on me (I do not have one by the way - all my other handles are heavy ones). Seeing David’s photography it is an awesome pairing.

Best,

Guido

Top Bottom