What's new

60’s aluminum Tech top cap replacement option

Hello all,

One of (if not) my favorite razor is my early 60’s aluminum Tech made in England. It’s a fantastic shave. The one I received I got for a great price stateside and came pretty clean. A nice polish with some Flitz has made it look fantastic. Unfortunately on the top cap, it has the dreaded pot metal rot on the threads. Not a massive amount but there’s definitely a spot. I have since applied some SuperLube on it to prevent any further rot from occurring. While this could last me the rest of my life, I wanted to see if there was another option to replace the top cap.

In came a couple Gillette Techs from China for $5.50 each.

Further examining it looks like the top caps are fairly similar in size. The 4 points are slimmer on the made in China Tech. It also feels lighter and “cheaper”. The biggest difference is the stud. The stud is ever so slightly slimmer. However, it still threads into the made in England handle securely with no issues.

All in all I probably have nothing to worry about if I keep the stock top cap dry and lubed up but it’s nice the option is there if the worst were to happen. I’ll have to try a shave with this top cap to see if there any big differences. Personally, I prefer the debossed logo of the made in China one :)

IMG_0219.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hello all,

One of (if not) my favorite razor is my early 60’s aluminum Tech made in England. It’s a fantastic shave. The one I received I got for a great price stateside and came pretty clean. A nice polish with some Flitz has made it look fantastic. Unfortunately on the top cap, it has the dreaded pot metal rot on the threads. Not a massive amount but there’s definitely a spot. I have since applied some SuperLube on it to prevent any further rot from occurring. While this could last me the rest of my life, I wanted to see if there was another option to replace the top cap.

In came a couple Gillette Techs from China for $5.50 each.

Further examining it looks like the top caps are fairly similar in size. The 4 points are slimmer on the made in China Tech. It also feels lighter and “cheaper”. The biggest difference is the stud. The stud is ever so slightly slimmer. However, it still threads into the made in England handle securely with no issues.

All in all I probably have nothing to worry about if I keep the stock top cap dry and lubed up but it’s nice the option is there if the worst were to happen. I’ll have to try a shave with this top cap to see if there any big differences. Personally, I prefer the debossed logo of the made in China one :)

View attachment 1719859
View attachment 1719860
View attachment 1719861
View attachment 1719862
View attachment 1719863

View attachment 1719864

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Top Bottom