What's new

Tcheon Fung Sing - Divino Soap - review/info

So, this is just an informative/review thread about TFS DiVino. I just wanted to share this quirky, strange, awesome soap.

Here's the soap description:

TFS has developed an exclusive formula using grapeseed oil and refined coconut oil, both of which are very beneficial for the skin. The name of the soap is a play on words - diVino means "of wine" and it also means "divine" or "heavenly". This luxurious shaving soap has fruity and floral notes of almonds and honey on a base of precious woods that recall the bouquet of prestigious wines.

The use of Grapeseed oil in intentional as it is rich in linoleic acid and phenolic antioxidant compounds. It is intended to help protect the skin from premature aging, atmospheric agents and free radicals. Used in purest form, it is perfect in the prevention and treatment of wrinkles and as a pre-shave. DiVino is the first shaving soap with grapeseed oil and is able to protect the most sensitive skin during shaving.

MY Experience using it today for the first time shaving:
Easy to load. Extremely easy to lather. Very stable. Scent is subtle, but it still permeates the experience. It doesn't smell like honey or almond like the description says. It smells like a wine making facility to me. Not exactly wine-like, but it still makes me think of wine. It's a pleasant, rustic, yet clean smell.

It shaves like a million bucks. I'm a BIG fan of TFS soaps. and this one is at the top of the heap. I'm still in the honeymoon, but it's fantastic. All that said, I'll bet this was sitting around in a warehouse for a while since the smell was pretty subtle, and the top of the soap was harder and a different color than the rest. I had to mix it up when I transferred it out of the wine glass.

I WOULD buy this again. I feel fantastic right now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

About Tcheon Fung Sing:

This name which is so difficult to pronounce is the name of the founder, a brave man, who was born in China and arrived in Italy in 1930. During the war he was interned in a prisoner-of-war camp and after World War II he married an Italian woman. With his wife, he decided to found this company and using his knowledge in the field of soapmaking, he began to produce shaving soaps.
On October 7,1951, Tcheon Fung Sing won the Gold Medal for shaving products during the first Turin fair. The shaving soap production continued through the decades and was handed down through three generations. The first one to carry on this business was Tcheon Fung Sing's daughter, Gabriella Tcheon, and now his grand-daughter, Paola Barile runs the operation. It is quite incredible that two women continued innovating and producing a very masculine product: shaving soap! From the origins to now, T.F.S. has respected the ancient knowledge of the founder, using original formulas and producing shaving soaps using only vegetable based raw materials. The duration of those soaps, produced without preservatives, is guaranteed by the handmade production. Tcheon Fung Sing continues to innovate under the leadership of the expert and skilled soapmaker, Paola Barile, who is taking the company forward into the future by constantly innovating and creating new products.

I love their Berganotto-Neroli soap, and the Duvino looks great. Alas, I am on a sabbatical this year. Thanks for the review.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review, another soap that I have never heard of but I may now have to investigate.

I find TFS to be an odd duck really. Most of their soaps are low end, including the RR formulas, but then they have some really high end offerings with much different ingredients under Abbate Y La Mantia. This really looks like an interesting soap!

I have and use TFS's "Sera" soap. Sure, I bought it partly for the pin-up picture on the lid, but it has a nice floral scent and lathers well. There are better soaps in my tiny collection -- but I like using it anyway.

I find TFS to be an odd duck really. Most of their soaps are low end, including the RR formulas, but then they have some really high end offerings with much different ingredients under Abbate Y La Mantia. This really looks like an interesting soap!

I find them to be all over the map. For example, the soaps in the taller containers (Uncle Walter, Annuendo, Stupefacente, Bob Stone, etc) shave really well. They feel at least middle tier to me. I actually prefer these over lots of more expensive artisan offerings.

OTOH,

The linea intenso line feels like a lower end soap, and each one burns my sensitive skin.

The dirt cheap TFS Rasozero shaves much better for me than the Linea Intenso.

I find them to be all over the map. For example, the soaps in the taller containers (Uncle Walter, Annuendo, Stupefacente, Bob Stone, etc) shave really well. They feel at least middle tier to me. I actually prefer these over lots of more expensive artisan offerings.

OTOH,

The linea intenso line feels like a lower end soap, and each one burns my sensitive skin.

I had problems with Uncle Walter at first, but found that soaking for a few minutes really helped. I think the jar soaps for RR (Dead Sea and SMdF) are up there in quality, but even their cheap $5 soaps are pretty good if you use them right. I haven't tried any of their branded soaps other than Walter though.

One thing they seem to do very well is scents so I'm interested in trying more someday. The AYLM soaps look amazing but are also pretty expensive due to the Saffron and other exotic ingredients, but I would like to try them too.

I had problems with Uncle Walter at first, but found that soaking for a few minutes really helped. I think the jar soaps for RR (Dead Sea and SMdF) are up there in quality, but even their cheap $5 soaps are pretty good if you use them right. I haven't tried any of their branded soaps other than Walter though.

One thing they seem to do very well is scents so I'm interested in trying more someday. The AYLM soaps look amazing but are also pretty expensive due to the Saffron and other exotic ingredients, but I would like to try them too.
I had the AYLM Vegano. It was more of a floral smell. It performed really well, but alas, it burned my face. I think I have the most sensitive skin in the shaving world. 40% of soaps burn my face like a chemical burn.I had to give away the AYLM to a friend. Expensive mistake, but at least he's enjoying it.

OTOH,

The only soap of theirs that I've tried is Rasozero and I was very disappointed. Then again, at $5, it's probably reasonably priced.

The only soap of theirs that I've tried is Rasozero and I was very disappointed. Then again, at $5, it's probably reasonably priced.

Which one did you use, and what didn't you like?

I'm genuinely curious, because I was underwhelmed by the Spiffero, and gave it away. It didn't have enough scent, and the post-shave was dry.

Fast forward.... I was bored, and bought the Agrumella and LOVED it. It seemed like a different soap, almost. Nice lemon smell.

Which one did you use, and what didn't you like?

I'm genuinely curious, because I was underwhelmed by the Spiffero, and gave it away. It didn't have enough scent, and the post-shave was dry.

Fast forward.... I was bored, and bought the Agrumella and LOVED it. It seemed like a different soap, almost. Nice lemon smell.
Same as you: the Spiffero. I had the exact same issues as you: there was literally no scent other than soap and the lather underperformed.

I had the AYLM Vegano. It was more of a floral smell. It performed really well, but alas, it burned my face. I think I have the most sensitive skin in the shaving world. 40% of soaps burn my face like a chemical burn.I had to give away the AYLM to a friend. Expensive mistake, but at least he's enjoying it.

Is it just artisan soaps or do you get that with the hard soaps from larger producers too? I remember someone else claimed he got lye burns from every artisan soap, which was probably just a reaction to scents or some common ingredients because the lye is neutralized. I wonder if the mass produced soaps would be better for someone with sensitive skin because they have to test their products for allergies and sensitives because they deal with larger markets.

Is it just artisan soaps or do you get that with the hard soaps from larger producers too? I remember someone else claimed he got lye burns from every artisan soap, which was probably just a reaction to scents or some common ingredients because the lye is neutralized. I wonder if the mass produced soaps would be better for someone with sensitive skin because they have to test their products for allergies and sensitives because they deal with larger markets.

There's definitely a positive correlation between smaller artisan/natural ingredients/adventurous scents/burning my face off. :lol:

Anything scented from Grooming department = flame thrower on face. (the unscented duck soap sure is nice though)
Anything from Proraso/Speick/Fine = good to go.

But, there are exceptions.
Example:
Nothing from Declaration Grooming has burned me.
Nothing from Mike's handmade has burned me either.
Nivea/Florena cream burn me (not the sensitive one though)

There's definitely a positive correlation between smaller artisan/natural ingredients/adventurous scents/burning my face off. :lol:

Anything scented from Grooming department = flame thrower on face. (the unscented duck soap sure is nice though)
Anything from Proraso/Speick/Fine = good to go.

But, there are exceptions.
Example:
Nothing from Declaration Grooming has burned me.
Nothing from Mike's handmade has burned me either.
Nivea/Florena cream burn me (not the sensitive one though)

It would be interesting to figure out the common ingredients there.

Same story with Krokos. Saffron scent is out of this world, lathers like a champion... and tingling sensation. Feels like alum block.
Ah, well... can't have it all, I suppose.

Top Bottom