What's new

Astra SP made in India vs Russia review

I've used one Indian Astra so far, and it seemed to have the same legs as its Russian cousin. However, I didn't push it hard and binned it after a week. It was still going strong on its last shave. I just wanted to try a different blade.
Do you recall how many shaves you got out of it? I typically get about 10 head and face shaves out of the Russian Astra SP before I decide to throw it out. Most of them are still giving good shaves when I throw them out at ten.

I've used one Indian Astra so far, and it seemed to have the same legs as its Russian cousin. However, I didn't push it hard and binned it after a week. It was still going strong on its last shave. I just wanted to try a different blade.
What was the shave count on the blade when it hit the bin?

Do you recall how many shaves you got out of it? I typically get about 10 head and face shaves out of the Russian Astra SP before I decide to throw it out. Most of them are still giving good shaves when I throw them out at ten.
It was (5) 3-pass shaves, and had hit that buttery smooth spot that I like in blades. I usually aim for 7 shaves, so I didn't pull the trigger too much earlier than normal.

I'll reload an Indian Astra after I finish my current Polsilver, and report back.

Geofatboy recently did a comparison shave on youtube. He found they shaved the same.

My favorites are Perma-Sharp but I did not want to take chances so I picked up 300 from the Russian plant (10 cents/each) Should hold me for about 5-6 years. I use my blades 3 - 4x then toss.

Geofatboy recently did a comparison shave on youtube. He found they shaved the same.

My favorites are Perma-Sharp but I did not want to take chances so I picked up 300 from the Russian plant (10 cents/each) Should hold me for about 5-6 years. I use my blades 3 - 4x then toss.

That was a good comparison!

A tuck of Astra SP Blades (Made in India) was included in a recent purchase. I shaved with one of the blades this morning. (Head and partial face shave) The results were excellent. Smooth, sharp, with no drama, no irritation.

IMG_6069.jpg

Just found my ideal blade after much testing and it is the Russian Astra SP now where can I find a stockpile of them :(

I just ordered 40 Astra SPs from Amazon, figuring they would be the new blades made in India.
I was pleasantly surprised to see they were made in St. Petersburg, not that I'm against trying the Indian blades. But, all things being equal, I love the Russian Astras and am glad I was able to score a few more.

Top Bottom