What's new

Astra SP made in India vs Russia review

Recently I got 300 Astra SP's they used my go to blade for a very long period till I discovered the Permasharps and Feathers. Today I found out that they're Made in India, I still have 100 Astra SP's that are made in Russia. Let's compare both blades side by side, the Russian Astra SP is on the right and the Indian on the left:

1700952190883.jpeg

1700952244450.jpeg

1700952283855.jpeg

1700952303614.jpeg

1700952318102.jpeg

1700952331466.jpeg

1700952349432.jpeg

1700952373601.jpeg

How does it compare to the Russian version?
I took a hot shower and loaded the blade into my Merkur Progress, I decided to use the lowest setting with this blade this time because on a high setting the Astra SP can be a little bit rough as far as I remember. At least this was the case with the made in Russia Astra SP's.

First pass, the WTG pass. Yep this feels exactly like the Astra SP RU version. I really didn't feel any difference, everything went smooth and fine. The only issue I had was related to the soap I was using, I used the TFS Crazy Sandalwood Shaving Soap and this soap burns on my face but I survived. It was time for the second pass, the XTG. No issues here except the burning sensation from the soap. At this stage I already had a BBS on my cheeks and jawline. I went for an ATG, on the cheeks and jawline there was nothing to shave. I did an ATG on the stache area and the neck and I got a full BBS.

This shaves exactly like the Russian Astra SP, I didn't notice any difference. In a way this makes sense because if P&G took all their DE making machines to India and used the same methods for manufacturing then it's the same blade.

All of this makes me actually wonder about the St Petersburg plant, lets say if P&G would try to close it and move to India. What if the Russian government would simply take it over and keep the production going or produce the same blades with a different name?

Interesting. I use Astra SP only, daily. I made the same test, including a blind one and in my opinion the India made green Astra, are sharper, smoother, better.
I'm not sure what it is with these blades, they're good but sometimes they can be rough on the second shave they're much smoother. This is not the case with the Permasharps or Feathers. Did you ever try a Permasharp? It's like an Astra SP on steroids.

Good to know, now I'm wondering about the other blade which were to move from Russia too.
Good blade test.

Reactions: Kix
Interesting that the bar code numbers between the Russian and Indian blades are identical even though the manufacturing company HQ has moved from St. Petersburg to India.
I noticed that too. :huh:
Well, it's really good to know that India is producing great blades. The Astra SP is in my Top Three DE blades and I was distressed when I heard they were moving out of Russia. But nothing is forever and as has been pointed out, Proctor & Gable ain't exactly a Ma & Pa shop out of Uncle Randy's garage. If they're setting something up, they're likely to get it right.

Recently I got 300 Astra SP's they used my go to blade for a very long period till I discovered the Permasharps and Feathers. Today I found out that they're Made in India, I still have 100 Astra SP's that are made in Russia. Let's compare both blades side by side, the Russian Astra SP is on the right and the Indian on the left:

View attachment 1754055
View attachment 1754056
View attachment 1754058
View attachment 1754059
View attachment 1754060
View attachment 1754061
View attachment 1754062
View attachment 1754063

How does it compare to the Russian version?
I took a hot shower and loaded the blade into my Merkur Progress, I decided to use the lowest setting with this blade this time because on a high setting the Astra SP can be a little bit rough as far as I remember. At least this was the case with the made in Russia Astra SP's.

First pass, the WTG pass. Yep this feels exactly like the Astra SP RU version. I really didn't feel any difference, everything went smooth and fine. The only issue I had was related to the soap I was using, I used the TFS Crazy Sandalwood Shaving Soap and this soap burns on my face but I survived. It was time for the second pass, the XTG. No issues here except the burning sensation from the soap. At this stage I already had a BBS on my cheeks and jawline. I went for an ATG, on the cheeks and jawline there was nothing to shave. I did an ATG on the stache area and the neck and I got a full BBS.

This shaves exactly like the Russian Astra SP, I didn't notice any difference. In a way this makes sense because if P&G took all their DE making machines to India and used the same methods for manufacturing then it's the same blade.

All of this makes me actually wonder about the St Petersburg plant, lets say if P&G would try to close it and move to India. What if the Russian government would simply take it over and keep the production going or produce the same blades with a different name?
No equipment will be moved from Russia to India. Gillette India has two factories that have DE blade equipment. The PPI plant keeps making DE blade models that are intended for Russia only - Sputnik and Rubie. They will not be exported, and people in the West now can't get them anymore.

Ahhh! Thanks for this review!!! I have exhausted my stash of several bricks of Astra SPs, which I have used nearly faithfully daily since 2010. I am currently finishing 100 Personna Lab Blues and find they perform as well as the Astra blades. I have three Personna blades left. I was going to order more Personnas, because I wanted to move away from Astra SP. I just happened to look for Astras on Amazon to see if they were still $10 for a brick of 100, but they are now down to $8.88 for a brick! And since they are coming from India now, I will order a brick!

Thanks again!!

Thank for the review! The Astras were my favorite when I only used DE. I have to buy to store for the future.

Reactions: Kix

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like the Gillette Astra SP and was wondering how the Longevity is going to fair with the India made Astra as to the its counter part. I have enough Astra blades for a little while yet and it was my blade standard for testing other DE razors I bought over the years. Great that it is being made again. The Russian steel is well formulated and made for Excellent Razor blades IMO.

I noticed these aren't made in the same Indian factory as the Gillete Wilkinson Sword according to packaging.

Chances are the full Russian stock will eventually be moved to the dedicated "Copy" factory in India over time. Astras were the start.

The good thing for consumers? Potentially cheaper resale prices and similar QC.

Last edited:
I like the Gillette Astra SP and was wondering how the Longevity is going to fair with the India made Astra as to the its counter part. I have enough Astra blades for a little while yet and it was my blade standard for testing other DE razors I bought over the years. Great that it is being made again. The Russian steel is well formulated and made for Excellent Razor blades IMO.

I've used one Indian Astra so far, and it seemed to have the same legs as its Russian cousin. However, I didn't push it hard and binned it after a week. It was still going strong on its last shave. I just wanted to try a different blade.

Top Bottom