What's new

Tatara razor configuration question

So maybe, maybe I will buy a Tatara in the future.
Right now I am thinking about two possible configurations
A: 0.90 blade gap, -0,03 blade exposure
B: 0.65 blade gap, 0,00 blade exposure

Right now I am using Karve with plate B as a everyday razor. Karve has 0 blade exposure, blade gap 0.73
I am looking for smooth razor that I can use every day.
What are yours thoughts on this?

I own the Karve B and the Tatara Masamune. I have also owned the Nodachi. In my opinion, of you like the Karve B and think it is "right" for you and your tolerance of aggression, I would recommend the Masamune (base and cap). I found the Nodachi impossible to use and the combos only mildly better yet still too aggressive for daily shaving. While the Tatara Masamune has a negative blade exposure, you would never know it based on the shave...it has more blade feel than the Karve B. My Tatara shaves are also more efficient. With the same number of passes I get a simikar BBS, but it stays that way longer. I do recommend a sharp blade in both razors.

The Masamune is a superb razor for me. A great shave yesterday with it has reminded me that it is indeed my favourite razor out of all that I own for good reason. However i am a daily shaver and everyone's face and skin are different and what is smooth and efficient for one person may not suffice for another so YMMV.

The Masamune is a superb razor for me. A great shave yesterday with it has reminded me that it is indeed my favourite razor out of all that I own for good reason. However i am a daily shaver and everyone's face and skin are different and what is smooth and efficient for one person may not suffice for another so YMMV.
Fully agreed. Another daily shaver here (with very sensitive skin to boot). If you don't shave daily, the other setups could very well be better.

I find the paradigm diamondback probably the limit for me where aggression is concerned which is not much at all compared to many shavers here. Even the pils I find to be quite aggressive which many here would find surprising. So my experience may be an outlier lol

Nodachi is overkill for daily shaves in my view. I'd get the original Masamune like the others have said. This is the smoothest option. I'd use this setup even when not shaving everyday. @steffenapelz is right, there is plenty of blade to guide you with the mildest setup.

What other razors are you familiar with in addition to the Karve B?

What other razors are you familiar with in addition to the Karve B?
Unfortunately with not many.
I have Razorock Jaws, it was my first DE razor, not sure what I was thinking back there, but it is sooooo overly aggressive for my needs.
Tatara cought my attention because it's full stainless steel ( I am at point that I am not going to consider zamak razor) and the company is in EU, so I don't have to pay taxes and other bs. I am sure there are other smooth razors out there, but I am not going to buy anything that is not readily available on EU stores, companies.

I'd go for the Masamune then. Really there aren't many choices if you want to get a razor made in the EU. If you are still unsure about the options send an email to Tatara.

I use a full Nodachi most of the time and it gives me very (!) close shaves, I have to wait for at least 36 hours in order to get a nice shave again. I'm thinking about ordering a Masamune top cap OR base plate to tone it down a bit so I can shave daily, not sure if I want less exposure with the Masamune top cap or a smaller gap with the Masamune baseplate. (I know both numbers will go down anyway - just not sure what characteristic I'd prefer)

I think the standard Masamune would be a great choice. I don't think it is overly mild at all--I found the Masamune much more usable than the Feather AS-D2, Timeless SB 0.68, and GC 0.68.
That is interesting.
Maybe I have some prejudice against razors with negative exposure, because my Karve with 0 exposure shaves so good.

To me it doesn't feel like it has negative exposure, you are aware of the blade during the shave but is really smooth at the same time. It is a very well designed razor.

I thought the tatara team set out to make the masamune with negative exposure?

Anyway I actualy find it slightly more mild feeling than even the paragon for mildness - the asd2. It feels like I can throw it around carelessly and it wont cut me - that is how safe it feels. I dont do that of course as that is asking for a cut! Lol

I thought the tatara team set out to make the masamune with negative exposure?

I don't know about that, but maybe that is just how the design turned out when creating a smooth, comfortable precision made razor. I believe they started looking at how to eliminate chatter, blade movement and came up with their own locking system to give a smoother shave.

I know they never intended to make a super efficient razor like the Nodachi. This is something people were asking for.

Yes, while the blade feel is there it is no way aggressive and very safe feeling.

I don't know about that, but maybe that is just how the design turned out when creating a smooth, comfortable precision made razor. I believe they started looking at how to eliminate chatter, blade movement and came up with their own locking system to give a smoother shave.

I know they never intended to make a super efficient razor like the Nodachi. This is something people were asking for.

Yes, while the blade feel is there it is no way aggressive and very safe feeling.

I looked up their website. The masamune is indeed having negative blade exposure.

Top Bottom