What's new

DE or 2 SEs in one?

I've never had an issue, but I have heard some have. If you look at the picture of the head you can see the blade is situated between 2 round and 2 square posts. For the blade to move left or right, it has to also move down the two round top posts, but that is prevented by the 2 square bottom posts. Just moving up is blocked by the top posts, moving down by the bottom posts.

As long as the blade iw within spec I can't see it moving here. Plus once everything is screwed down it wont move from pressure.
Good point... As long as the head screws in with strong clamping, you are right, that would keep it really steady. Guess I looked at so many different razors over the years that I am naturally suspicious if a razor will provide good clamping pressure or not... :D

I feel like i really need to ask. For those who use half DE blades. Is there any indication of reduced stability of blade clamping? In my simple mind, it seems to suggest that the blade is held less tightly... But then I have no experience with half DEs whatsoever.

Yea!
I had a Merkur Progress with blade exposure defect where one side shaved okay.

I tried it with half DE and I definitely felt more chatter this way compared to putting a full blade in the razor.

I've been using my new Shield AC/SE for about a week now. Very nice. I paired the Shield head with a Maggard MR5 handle, a German Wilkie and what looks like a Kai Guard Mild AC blade. The box included a mini sampler of AC blades, all unlabelled.

Both blades were clamped top and bottom all the way to the edge of the cap. The final result on my first shave was a comfortable DFS. It got better from there.

The shaves keep getting better, the fourth shave beat the third. I must be learning how to use the razor :)

I now have three candidates for travel razor - the 3D printed razor from Superior Cuts (eBay), the Everday Shaving Stinger, and now the Shield AC SE (and there are always the assorted adjustables). Not sure I'd pick any of them if forced to choose I razor for the rest of my life - all three are great tools but don't seem to have the "soul" or aesthetic experience of others I have.

I think the 3D is going into my "go bag". If I am using it, then soul and aesthetics are the least of my concerns, and it is a very good tool, very durable, and if things go south, DEs are likely more findable than ACs. It shaves really well, but its just not pleasing.

The Stinger will likely be my road trip razor. Same availability issue of DEs v ACs as I go to very remote places at times. It too is very good, and is kind of a lark to use occasionally, but not regularly compared to others I can use.

That makes the SE AC my formal travel razor (I still consult, teach seminars, and guest lecture once in a while). At this, it will excel. From a third-party observer objective outcome basis, these are becoming some of my best shaves ever. As I get better with it, it becomes an increasingly awesome shaver. But, it doesn't fire up the heart.

The SE AC has made me realize that with both the Shields and the Standos I own, they are incredible tools and get the job done with quality and efficiency and reliability and cost effectively.... but they all have that "but", getting the job done but not necessarily an experience you'd write home about.

I think I need to meditate on what constitutes a "good shave" and their gradations. Rationally I would be very pleased to use just one of the Standos or Shields for the rest of my life, emotionally I am not so sure.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
In fact, ordinary DE can directly place the injector blade and shave normally. Some gentlemen at B&B have tried it.

Just turn the cap upside down, place the injector blade against the column, cover the base plate and lock the handle, it's very simple.

The AC blade is longer, that's the difference.
However, in order to accommodate the longer AC blade, it increases the useless area at both ends of the half DE blade, which is not conducive to shaving flexibility.

Sure, it's fun, but not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom