What's new

DE or 2 SEs in one?

This just arrived today from Shield. One side is AC, the other is half DE. I've liked hybrids, early passes OC, later passes SB. I am liking my Everyday Shaving Stinger, advancing that concept with different geometry on each side. Now this, a different blade on each side.

Blade gap reported as 1.15, Exposure on AC side is 0.12, half DE side 0.05. Everything is titanium. Usual Shield craftsmanship.

Looks like I'll be holding off the Chinese blade study while I test this and the new 3D printed razor.

Attachments

• 20240203_114030.jpg
    20240203_114030.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
  • 20240203_114006.jpg
    20240203_114006.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • 20240203_114124.jpg
    20240203_114124.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 20240203_122000.jpg
    20240203_122000.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 20240203_114151.jpg
    20240203_114151.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
This just arrived today from Shield. One side is AC, the other is half DE. I've liked hybrids, early passes OC, later passes SB. I am liking my Everyday Shaving Stinger, advancing that concept with different geometry on each side. Now this, a different blade on each side.

Blade gap reported as 1.15, Exposure on AC side is 0.12, half DE side 0.05. Everything is titanium. Usual Shield craftsmanship.

Looks like I'll be holding off the Chinese blade study while I test this and the new 3D printed razor.
Say SE SE.

I feel like i really need to ask. For those who use half DE blades. Is there any indication of reduced stability of blade clamping? In my simple mind, it seems to suggest that the blade is held less tightly... But then I have no experience with half DEs whatsoever.

First shave with what I now call Doublemint. For you mere children:

I just wanted to get a feel for using it so I used the AC blade that came with it (looks like a proguard, but I don't know) and a Derby "Profesyonel" that came with another half DE. WTG and XTG with AC side, ATG with the hDE side. No touch up.

30+ hour growth. No pressure shave, which was hard as it's really light. No chatter. Could hear the AC side cut, hDE basically silent. Blade feel was minimal, just enough to know it was working.

I don't remember ever getting a BBS without touch up before. I also do not remember ever getting a BBS without some criticism from Dr. Alum, two firsts in one night.

What a brilliant idea... one shave does not an evaluation make, could be luck, but I'm impressed.

The only issue I have is the handle. The Everyday Shaving Stinger handle feels different depending on which side is touching skin. You have to look with Doublement. Also, as DEs are not as long as ACs, you have to remember where the hDE begins and ends.

I'm going to load some blades I know and add more growth. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20240203_235547.jpg
    20240203_235547.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Stikeyoda very interesting, also I love that comparison. I am not sold on the concept yet, it is just too alien. Will probably have to try myself.

Regarding handles with different sides, now ... 99,9% handles I know are either perfectly symmetrical or like the Pineapple from Timeless or the Wolfman handle Yaqi cloned as "Chippendale", symmetrical but not rounded, but they simply don't have two different sides that would help with finding the side with this or that blade or gap.... hmm! This is indeed a problem.

I cannot name a single handle besides the Stinger you mentioned that would highlight different gaps. They usually go with a OC/SB approach when there is a dual comb/different sides head.

@Stikeyoda very interesting, also I love that comparison. I am not sold on the concept yet, it is just too alien. Will probably have to try myself.

Regarding handles with different sides, now ... 99,9% handles I know are either perfectly symmetrical or like the Pineapple from Timeless or the Wolfman handle Yaqi cloned as "Chippendale", symmetrical but not rounded, but they simply don't have two different sides that would help with finding the side with this or that blade or gap.... hmm! This is indeed a problem.

I cannot name a single handle besides the Stinger you mentioned that would highlight different gaps. They usually go with a OC/SB approach when there is a dual comb/different sides head.
I'm struggling with how you would screw on a handle and be sure the sides aligned to the head. This may or may not be an issue. You cannot tell by feel. Sight is easy as you can see the blades from the top and the lather slots are different sizes, unless they're obscured with lather.

I was confused by the design. I am assuming the intent is to use one side or the other, and not normally loading a blade in both sides. But I don't know anything.
Nope, it's actually designed yo hold both blades at once. The blades are seperated and are held individually. Once loaded it's just like a DE. You can see the AC at the top, the hDE at the bottom. Notice the mounts.

It actually makes sense. Some people actually use a different razor for each pass. This allows you to do that with a single razor. It gives you more flexibility than a hybrid SB/OC with same blade and geometry on each side. I think the ES Stinger is a good concept with different geometries for each side but same blade. This let's you adjust blade to pass.

After one shave, it seems to work.

Attachments

• 20240203_114006.jpg
    20240203_114006.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The second shave was better than the first as I added one touch-up pass (neck problem areas). Once again, the hDE side felt like there wasn't a blade in it, but it was as demonstrated by the touch-ups. BBS with no irritation. I really need to figure out how to "feel" which side I am using. I kept looking to check, which is no biggy but takes away from the zen flow of the shave.

Discovered you cannot put the plate on the head incorrectly (because I obviously tried), which is nice engineering, Two posts on the head have to match up with two slots on the plate on the hDE side.

The top of my head feels like a plate of glass (there is little hair there to begin with) which hasn't happened before. And, there were no complaints at all from the alum pass. For grins, I actually shaved into the hairline (previously cut with a #3 head a week ago) and that area is also smooth as glass. I am surprised there was no clogging in the razor at all in the process. The lather vents are pretty large.

Still wrapping my head around it, but I like the idea and implementation of this. A lot. Just got to figure out side control...

I feel like i really need to ask. For those who use half DE blades. Is there any indication of reduced stability of blade clamping? In my simple mind, it seems to suggest that the blade is held less tightly... But then I have no experience with half DEs whatsoever.
I've never had an issue, but I have heard some have. If you look at the picture of the head you can see the blade is situated between 2 round and 2 square posts. For the blade to move left or right, it has to also move down the two round top posts, but that is prevented by the 2 square bottom posts. Just moving up is blocked by the top posts, moving down by the bottom posts.

As long as the blade iw within spec I can't see it moving here. Plus once everything is screwed down it wont move from pressure.

Glad it is working for you, but the it seems like a strange concept to me.

As for keeping track of which side you are using, since the AC side is more aggressive, an easy way might be to just use the AC side for the entire first pass, then flip it and use the half-DE side for the entire second pass. This would make it so it would be similar to what a lot of people do with an adjustable razor (viz, do a first pass at a higher setting, then switch to a lower setting for the second pass).

I think it might've been better to make a razor that can take both half-DE blades, full DE blades and short, Schick-style injector blades. That way, the head wouldn't be that oversized when fitted with DE blades.

Well, the third shave was better than the second. First 2 passes AC, third and touch up hDE. Easier to keep track which side I was using this time. I suspect it will become second nature over time like juggling.

The only real issue now is the size difference in the blades. You can't get into a close edge with the hDE, there's 2/3mm of razor in the way. Then again the straights probably say the same thing about DEs and SEs. And you can always switch to the AC side.

Top Bottom