What's new

Talk me off the ledge (first lathe)...

More than you would think! I like to turn fast for small spindles. For a handle I rough at 2200-2500rpm, finish cuts as fast as the lathe spins, drill the hole around 400-450 depending on how hard the wood is, sand no higher than 350-450. Of course this changes drastically for larger bowls or small diameter pens, making VS even more valuable. Truthfully I’m not sure what speed I apply the CA finish at, I turn the dial until it looks about right, definitely no higher than 600, probably a bit less. First stage of polish around 900, second finer polish around 1300. As you can see, VS is well worth the money for me. Pretty much everybody I know who bought a multi-speed first wished they would’ve spent extra for VS, me included. But, it’s your money, ultimately only you can decide if it’s worth it (it is, and then some).

My Rikon has suited me well. It’s not the most accurate for drilling but 0.2mm off doesn’t matter with a brush. I find regular cleaning of the tailstock helps a lot, as well as copious amounts of epoxy when gluing the brass tubes in pen blanks. If I had it to do all over again, I would’ve passed on my first HF as well as my current Rikon and bought a Jet 12” for the same amount I spent on these two. Hindsight is always 20/20.

And the ledge get another step higher :eek2: Thanks so much for the insight. Not trying to be cheap, just wanting to make sure the $$$ is spent the best way possible.

Omg I now wished I had gone passed this thread but ohhh no I had to read it, now I have been looking at the JWL-1221VS as im thinking of turning brush handles but I dont want to hijack this thread

Omg I now wished I had gone passed this thread but ohhh no I had to read it, now I have been looking at the JWL-1221VS as im thinking of turning brush handles but I dont want to hijack this thread
It's an addictive hobby.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Don't worry about hijacking this. There is a ton of good info in this thread alone for those of us thinking about this purchase/hobby. Pile on. More info is good info!

It's an addictive hobby.

Oh I know very addictive hobby.

Don't worry about hijacking this. There is a ton of good info in this thread alone for those of us thinking about this purchase/hobby. Pile on. More info is good info!

That is very true its another rabbit hole to fall in, but we all love it and that's why I read this thread for the info.

Damn you guys!!!!! I did it, I jumped. Not quite off the ledge that you all seemed to want me to jump from. As I plummet back down I will be smug about the fact that I jumped from the ledge that I wanted... HA, that'll teach 'em.

Enough of that... I decided to go with a Jet. Based on all the conversations, advice, and the (what feels like 57 thousand) reviews I have read, I felt it was the best bang for the buck. This is what I ordered. With the additional 15% off offer, it brought it down to a cost that if I hate the hobby, I can sell it to someone at a loss that won't hurt. So the cost plus all the other costs (those that I mentioned in a previous post) won't kill me to start. The cost to go with a VS put those out of reach for me. Besides, I figured better a quality tool that required a little manual manipulation than a tool with all the bells and whistles but was suspect in its quality.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a time machine. When I work with my lathes, time seems to stand still. Sometimes 4 hrs in my shop feels like 40 minutes. I could say something metaphysical, but meh, I'm old and retired. Half the time I don't know what day it is. (nor do I care) :)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
All this talk about The Lathe ,Have you considered dust removeall .
My shop is in my basement and if I did not have away to remove the dust
our house would be very dusty . besides the lathe you must also have a saw or two .
One of my conversations with @Rudy Vey was about dust .
even if your lathe is located in a garage or outbuilding you don't want dust floating around

Congrats and welcome to the hobby! Since you’ll probably want a chuck I recommend the Nova Precision. It will fit the 1” 8 TPI spindle without an adaptor and is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the others so it won’t beat a smaller and less powered lathe to death spinning it. It doesn’t have a spindle lock so you can’t use reverse, but I’m pretty sure the lathe you got doesn’t have reverse anyhow. You’ll need a different set of jaws to hold 1.5” blanks as it comes with 50mm jaws, which seems to be the standard. The 50mm work for 2” spindles, but those cost more and you’re turning the extra into shavings, so a set of 35mm pay for themselves in the long run. Shop around, prices vary greatly for the chuck and accessory jaws.

our house would be very dusty . besides the lathe you must also have a saw or two .
even if your lathe is located in a garage or outbuilding you don't want dust floating around

Excellent point Steve. Over the years breathing all the fine dust in (especially the stuff you can’t see) can lead to some serious health issues. I have a respirator for spalted and stabilized woods, and wear an N95 mask for acrylic and other wood, along with a dust extractor & separator.

Thanks for the advice both of you. Lots to consider in all this. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll be doing more research as I go along.
I am a little confused about masks though... I thought an P95 was for oil based dust and an N95 was for non-oil based?
I understand the need for a respirator for stab woods since you are mixing particulate types. What cartridges are you using?

Congrats on the new lathe. I look forward to reading how you like it and seeing your progress.

Thanks for the advice both of you. Lots to consider in all this. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll be doing more research as I go along.
I am a little confused about masks though... I thought an P95 was for oil based dust and an N95 was for non-oil based?
I understand the need for a respirator for stab woods since you are mixing particulate types. What cartridges are you using?

I use 3M, NIOSH OV/AG/P100 approved cartridges for the respirator, removes 99.7% of solid and aerosol particulates, even oil based, and effective against vapors, which P95/N95 masks aren’t. I also wear the repirator when casting resin blanks, due to the vapors that a mask won’t protect me from.

As for P95/N95 masks, you need to realize that those were originally geared towards the medical/pharmaceutical industry and made for preventing spread of influenza and other viruses (N95) or petrochemicals/pharmaceutical toxins (P95). Either is fine for sanding. I use N95 soley because they’re easier for me to get. I figure if a virus isn’t going to get through it, most sanding dust won’t.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Are you sure you didn't read my thoughts
Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a time machine. When I work with my lathes, time seems to stand still. Sometimes 4 hrs in my shop feels like 40 minutes. I could say something metaphysical, but meh, I'm old and retired. Half the time I don't know what day it is. (nor do I care) :)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yes, an absolute must to deal with dust...
another rhyme...
I have a Dustcollector with a kind of funnel right behind the work, most everything that comes of the work piece, shavings, dust etc goes straight into the dust collector. Sometimes larger shaving fly out and towards you, but the bad stuff, the fine dust gets sucked into the collector. Then I have an air filter hanging from the ceiling, one like this:
AFS-1000B, 1000 CFM Air Filtration System, 3-Speed, with Remote Control

This one takes the very fine stuff out the shop air, and it can be programmed to run a couple hours after you are done.
These cheap dustmasks do not do much, this here is an excellent system, a bit pricey, but your health should be worth it:
Trend Airshield Pro Combo Pack | Shop Supplies | Craft Supplies USA

Your health is the most important!!

I just wanted to respond to the comments about dust. Living here in AZ I am lucky enough to be able to work outside for most of the year. It does remove the need for dust removal from a confined space.

Congratulations! Sir looks like I will be the next one in 2-3 months time, but as you I will be going with the Jet as well....

Congratulations! Sir looks like I will be the next one in 2-3 months time, but as you I will be going with the Jet as well....

Have to say, I'm pretty excited to get started. I hope this thread was some help to you as well.

Have to say, I'm pretty excited to get started. I hope this thread was some help to you as well.

Yes it has but I will be putting it in my spare room as we have no out building so I have got to get a dust extraction unit plus other bits its going to run me around £2,000

Top Bottom