What's new

Tabac vs Fine

Hey guys!

You’re comparing FINE & TABAC soaps, understanding that you have already used both.

Considering that FINE products belong to the solid varieties of soaps, please tell me how difficult is it to make lather from FINE soaps in comparison to soft cream/artisan soaps like from the puck like “Razorock” or “WSP” for example.

I've never used FINE soaps before.

Would be glad to hear your comments.

Fine is very easy to lather. You won’t have any issues.

Many thanks for your explanations about FINE soaps.
Can I create lather by putting my shaving brush into box with FINE soap and continue swirling until I charge my brush with ready to go cream ?
I don't need a shaving mug for FINE soap, right ?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You don't need a shaving mug for any soap, but if you load your brush while the puck is in the box...... well, you do realize it is cardboard, right? (even if it is laminated)

It is clear that cardboard will turn into a mess very soon, thus you need a plastic/metal container for storage.
Meanwhile, I would like to say that FINE shaving soaps do get released in plastic tubs/boxes besides cardboard.
Purchasing one of FINE soaps in plastic tub opens new horizons and gives me a special opportunity to create lather straight from the box :))) Yeeahaaa!!!

Kinda wish Fine soap had a nicer tub than just the plastic.

Meanwhile, Tabac has that luxurious porcelain bowl.
Many vendors nowadays use plastic because it is cheap to produce, durable and does not absorb moisture and will not significantly affect the final price of the product unlike metal and glass packaging. "Tabac" in porcelain bowl is more expensive than Fine soap in plastic container.

I just finished my first puck of Tabac at the end of November and started my first puck of Fine Lavender Pour Homme a few days later. I thought the Tabac performance was fantastic and the scent did not bother me. It didn't excite me either. I had strongly considered getting another puck of Tabac but the desire to keep tinkering got the better of me.

I had heard Fine was the same soap with different scents so I thought I would give it a run.

I have not been let down. For me, the performance is every bit the same, maybe slightly better. Very slick and just as easy to lather with a damp brush to the puck and 20 or so seconds of swirling. The scent is an improvement. I like the Lavender Pour Homme scent but will try another scent when this puck runs out.

The Fine puck has a smaller diameter that the Tabac puck so it will fit into the Tabac porcelain if you desire.

Both soaps are easy to lather with excellent slickness. Performance wise you would be splitting hairs to say one is better than the other ,imo of course!

Fine soaps perform well, but I'm not sure I'll get more after this because of what seems to me to be abysmal packaging quality control. Here's what happened to me:

1. I ordered a puck of Fine American Blend right when they first got out. I loved the scent (or what I thought was the American Blend scent).
  2. After using up that first puck, I ordered a second Fine American Blend. It smelled TOTALLY different. Turned out they had incorrectly package a bunch of L'Orange Noir pucks in American Blend boxes in the first shipment. So my first puck that I liked so much was really L'Orange Noir.
  3. I figured, "Oh well, one time mistake, I'll use up the American Blend and order L'Orange Noir next time. Which I just did last week. Guess what came in the L'Orange Noir box? Pretty sure it's an American Blend puck. At least it smells just like my last American Blend puck.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated this has happened twice. Hopefully I'm unique in having this happen multiple times, but Fine isn't the only good soap out there and I'll probably go with someone else next time that can get me the scent I want.

Last edited:
Fine soaps perform well, but I'm not sure I'll get more after this because of what seems to me to be abysmal packaging quality control. Here's what happened to me:

1. I ordered a puck of Fine American Blend right when they first got out. I loved the scent (or what I thought was the American Blend scent).
  2. After using up that first puck, I ordered a second Fine American Blend. It smelled TOTALLY different. Turned out they had incorrectly package a bunch of L'Orange Noir pucks in American Blend boxes in the first shipment. So my first puck that I liked so much was really L'Orange Noir.
  3. I figured, "Oh well, one time mistake, I'll use up the American Blend and order L'Orange Noir next time. Which I just did last week. Guess what came in the L'Orange Noir box? Pretty sure it's an American Blend puck. At least it smells just like my last American Blend puck.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated this has happened twice. Hopefully I'm unique in having this happen multiple times, but Fine isn't the only good soap out there and I'll probably go with someone else next time that can get me the scent I want.
It is just because you haven't definitely determined the scent which suits you best and you are in eternal search :))

Top Bottom